Newbie road bike advice - which one to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Hi all

Could do with some advice on what to buy - have read lots of reviews and think I have a decent shortlist but any advice from people who know more than me would be appreciated.

Background
Mid 40s, could do with losing a couple of stone and want to use biking as a good way to help with that - mix of short but fast workouts plus longer journeys. Can get great deals via cycle to work scheme (high rate taxpayer, but need to look into that more). Despite the belly, would say am reasonably fit, have run a fair bit over the last few years and last year was clocking up 100miles + a month in warmer months mainly biking to work (7 miles, mainly on purpose built cycle paths). Have a good hybrid - Giant, cant remember the model but was c. £450 a few years ago and meant I could cover the trip in between 34-39 mins (depends on wind and lights, and didnt want to push it too much) and 29-33 on way home as put in more effort! Had pannier etc... so not the lightest! Would still use this as my pub bike and rides with kids.

What I want
Bike to new workplace which is c. 10 miles each way, some path but a fair bit of road too though Cambridge city centre - More so in summer, less so in winter. Also rides out in week or weekends, have done round trips of 12-15 miles on a regular basis but would like to use this for longer trips too like 20 or 30 miles (I guess). Looking for the best value. Budget is flexible - looking at £600-£900.

Shortlist
Based on reviews:
Decathlon Triban 520 - As above but better gearset and slightly lighter but £200 more than the Triban 500 - worth it?
Decathlon Van Ryslel EDR 105 - £849 but less than 9 kg and good gearset
Giant Contend 1 or 2 - Overall good spec and mid range in weight
Trek Doumane AL2 or 3 - Similar to Giant
Specialized Allez - Good reviews and price but not so good gearset

With current restrictions not sure if I will be able to properly test these bikes. For me good all round performance is best, would probably prefer a bike to be good at most/all things than be really good at a couple of things and not good at a few things, although I guess coming from more basic bikes would mean I am impressed with anything!!

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
As you’re commuting, get one that takes mudguards for the bad weather, mucky winter roads 👍

Other than that, the one that fits you best, is available in your size and on your c2w scheme. Personally I’d get the best group set for the budget if it’s a choice, as it’s cheaper to buy new than upgrade later 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Any will do the job for you but you may enjoy the better specd ones or one that has a more appealing paint job or a more comfortable saddle. Better models tend to have better more puncture proof tyres which is always a plus when commuting or just out on a ride. While on the subject of tyres remember that a sports bike is going to have narrower high pressure tyres which will give a less comfortable ride than the ones on your hybrid. You’ll also need to have a comfortable position on the bike so at least throw a leg over. Can it be easily adjusted if you like the bike but it doesn’t feel quite right?
If you’re looking for vfm you really can’t get much better than the bikes from Decathlon, as the worlds largest retailer of bikes they have tremendous buying power so can pass on the savings. Whatever you choose there’s no such thing as a poor choice there.

Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

As you’re commuting, get one that takes mudguards for the bad weather, mucky winter roads 👍

Other than that, the one that fits you best, is available in your size and on your c2w scheme. Personally I’d get the best group set for the budget if it’s a choice, as it’s cheaper to buy new than upgrade later 👍

Thanks - not so fussed i think about mudguards, showers and towels at work so would be showering anyway - and tend to be more of a fair-weather cyclist anyway!

Re: groupset, the bikes I mention have Claris, Sora or 105 sets, in the real world for someone like me, do they make much of a difference? Yes, the better ones are lighter and and have more gears, but is that really important for someone like me - what is the real world impact?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks - not so fussed i think about mudguards, showers and towels at work so would be showering anyway - and tend to be more of a fair-weather cyclist anyway!

Re: groupset, the bikes I mention have Claris, Sora or 105 sets, in the real world for someone like me, do they make much of a difference? Yes, the better ones are lighter and and have more gears, but is that really important for someone like me - what is the real world impact?
Mudguards protect the bike too, notably the drivetrain, but your choice

105 will be smoother to change gear too when properly set up and aesthetically they look better (but not as good as SRAM imo)

you commented on the weight of at least one of the bikes above so presumably it holds some interest or importance to you

Hudson1984

Über Member
agree with Vickster there, whilst you might not "want" mudguards, they do make life alot more comfortable, it's not so much needing a shower after your ride it's more you'll be cycling home is clothing that's absolutely caked in mud and road grime, they are a bit of a necessary evil really.

I'd go for 105 if I were in your position, my very first "proper" bike was an allez, and it was brilliant, but being Tiagra I did yearn for something a little posher. Again, Im with vickster on the SRAM, it is a superior set just depends how far into your budget you want to go.

IMHO if you need to lose a couple of stone I wouldn't worry about the weight of the bike too much, go for one that feels comfortable to you, I mean I eventually found my speciialized a little too leggy for me (short legs long body) and it needed alot of tweaking to get it how I wanted whereas other brands had a far more suitable geometry and I should've spent more time sitting on them at the very least. When you get the right fit you'll certainly know....so will your butt!

it is tough in the current climate as setup and geometry always make a huge difference.

(or buy my carbon bike for sale - better than all of them hahah)

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Mudguards protect the bike too, notably the drivetrain, but your choice

105 will be smoother to change gear too when properly set up and aesthetically they look better (but not as good as SRAM imo)

you commented on the weight of at least one of the bikes above so presumably it holds some interest or importance to you

Good point on mudguards! Yes, weight is a factor for me i think, its trying to understand how all these things interact - i.e. Triban 520 has 105 but 10.4kg, the Allez is Claris but 9.6kg (or the Contend 1 is Sora but also 9.6kg) - all other things being equal is the Triban 'better or worse' than Allez or Claris - i.e. is weight a bigger factor than gearset?

I am a photographer so get similar things thrown at me and appreciate it can be hard to answer - like when people compare cameras!

Hudson1984

Über Member
it really depends where the weight is.
If it's on the wheels then yes it'll make a large difference.
if it's on the frame then potentially it will make a slight difference - but to be honest, will YOU notice it? over 10 miles or so, no probably not really.
the thing is, the Allez probably is the better bike, but the 105 is a better groupset.
wheels are everything though (which is why they're so damned expensive) but even then it's a can of worms as some heavier wheels do a different job so will "perform" better than lighter wheels.
I'll put it this way:
I had an allez, used to do 100 miles a week. Liked the bike
I then bought a moda (used) with a WHYTE groupset - bloody awful groupset but had american classic wheels which were ace. 70 miles a week. Liked the bike
I have currently a Bianchi Via Nirone. Mostly used on a turbo (or it was) but have done 50 milers on it regularly and it's a good ride. Like the bike
I have a battaglin, full carbon, brilliant groupset, FANTASTIC to ride. Love the bike
Other than the carbon battaglin, could I really tell you the weight difference of the others? nope not a dot. Once you've added bottle cages, a bottle of water, gels, pumps, tubes etc it all becomes a bit academic. You could have a good pee in the morning and lose the weight difference :laugh:

HOWEVER, when we look at weight on wheels, that does effect things, as it's rotational weight so it makes a difference more than plonking something onto the frame.

being honest though my commuter was a trek 7.1fx hybrid and that was still a nice bike over that distance.

be honest with yourself. I'm a larger guy too - spending another £500 on a bike is alot easier than losing 2kg off your waist but it'll make more difference. Get the comfiest bike you like, one that you WANT to ride. Worry about the rest later.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

it really depends where the weight is.
If it's on the wheels then yes it'll make a large difference.
if it's on the frame then potentially it will make a slight difference - but to be honest, will YOU notice it? over 10 miles or so, no probably not really.
the thing is, the Allez probably is the better bike, but the 105 is a better groupset.
wheels are everything though (which is why they're so damned expensive) but even then it's a can of worms as some heavier wheels do a different job so will "perform" better than lighter wheels.
I'll put it this way:
I had an allez, used to do 100 miles a week. Liked the bike
I then bought a moda (used) with a WHYTE groupset - bloody awful groupset but had american classic wheels which were ace. 70 miles a week. Liked the bike
I have currently a Bianchi Via Nirone. Mostly used on a turbo (or it was) but have done 50 milers on it regularly and it's a good ride. Like the bike
I have a battaglin, full carbon, brilliant groupset, FANTASTIC to ride. Love the bike
Other than the carbon battaglin, could I really tell you the weight difference of the others? nope not a dot. Once you've added bottle cages, a bottle of water, gels, pumps, tubes etc it all becomes a bit academic. You could have a good pee in the morning and lose the weight difference :laugh:

HOWEVER, when we look at weight on wheels, that does effect things, as it's rotational weight so it makes a difference more than plonking something onto the frame.

being honest though my commuter was a trek 7.1fx hybrid and that was still a nice bike over that distance.

be honest with yourself. I'm a larger guy too - spending another £500 on a bike is alot easier than losing 2kg off your waist but it'll make more difference. Get the comfiest bike you like, one that you WANT to ride. Worry about the rest later.

Lol, i WANT to lose 2kg off my waist (or more)!

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Oh well, not sure I will be getting one!

Waiting for HR to come back to me but i believe our scheme for this sort of thing closes on June 30th, so I would have to get the certificate now and possibly not spend for a few months!!! The only one available I believe is the Allez but had dis-counted that due to tyre/mudguard clearance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh well, not sure I will be getting one!

Waiting for HR to come back to me but i believe our scheme for this sort of thing closes on June 30th, so I would have to get the certificate now and possibly not spend for a few months!!! The only one available I believe is the Allez but had dis-counted that due to tyre/mudguard clearance.
Which retailers/brands can you access?
if yiu want a roadbike and the scheme won’t be open again until next spring, just get a £1000 voucher now (do payments start ASAP or only once voucher spent?)

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Which retailers/brands can you access?
if yiu want a roadbike and the scheme won’t be open again until next spring, just get a £1000 voucher now (do payments start ASAP or only once voucher spent?)

Most, for example in town Rutland, Evans and Decathlon are all included. It does look like it may be ok - the site said we need to get our flex benefits chosen by 30th June but just checked with HR and that is an open one for anytime - payments start the month after you get the voucher, whether its redeemed or not!

vickster

Legendary Member
Most, for example in town Rutland, Evans and Decathlon are all included. It does look like it may be ok - the site said we need to get our flex benefits chosen by 30th June but just checked with HR and that is an open one for anytime - payments start the month after you get the voucher, whether its redeemed or not!
Why not buy a used bike for cash now and then upgrade with C2W once more bikes are available?

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Why not buy a used bike for cash now and then upgrade with C2W once more bikes are available?

Hassle - looking for a bike, not really being an expert, still need to buy all the accessories which would be on C2W. End up with 2 bikes and then hassle of selling one.

Annoyingly, went into Decathlon today and asked them to reserve a bike and bits, went to do the voucher and it will be around 3 weeks till I get it! So what if I then go back in (as they wont hold it that long, and dont blame them) and I cant get the bike, or the shoes and pedals are not in stock? The downside to scheme is that its quite rigid, I cant go and add another £100 to get a different bike, so could be stuck paying for a voucher but no bike, and i need all the accessories in stock too!

Guess this is just an impact of Covid! Typical!

Top Bottom