newbie road bike for £600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Whats the gripe about Sora? not being a roadie is it worth spending the extra for tiagra?

and why?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sora + 2300 shifters have a thumb shifter to shift the chain to a faster gear and the brake lever to shift to an easier gear ( on the rh )

It is hard to reach the thumb shifter when your on the "drops " ( the bottom bit of the handlebar), unless your racing the default position for riding is on the "hoods " so this is not a problem .
Tiagra shifters replace the thumb shifter with a lever behind the brake lever you can reach from the hoods and the drops, it is nice but not a deal breaker as they both do the same job.

I would rather get a bike that fits better than worry about if i might have to move my hand off the drop to upshift as it is going to take what a second or 2 extra to change gear ? as i said unless your racing it is not a problem.
When you go to try bikes i am sure the shop will have some bikes with tiagra or higher shifters that are all in the same position so you can always try them.

Sora
Brifters.jpg

tiagra
11384.jpg

I have 2300 on a Defy 4,bought it cheap in the sale to stick permanently on the turbo for winter and then use to commute in summer. The bike itself is lovely and comfy to ride for hours and the bit I have used it on the road setting up I found it quite lively and enjoyable to ride.

Wouldn't touch the chainset with a barge pole though if it was being used to ride long distance on road. The thumb shifters would be a pain {not a problem on the Turbo} and it is very slow/mechanical/noisy and not possible to trim. Spend extra and get Tiagra at a bare minimum.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have 2300 on a Defy 4,bought it cheap in the sale to stick permanently on the turbo for winter and then use to commute in summer. The bike itself is lovely and comfy to ride for hours and the bit I have used it on the road setting up I found it quite lively and enjoyable to ride.

Wouldn't touch the chainset with a barge pole though if it was being used to ride long distance on road. The thumb shifters would be a pain {not a problem on the Turbo} and it is very slow/mechanical/noisy and not possible to trim. Spend extra and get Tiagra at a bare minimum.

Done 76 miles on a 2300 equipped bike and they are comfortable , never have a need to trim mine w and the shifts are smooth, maybe yours needs to be set up right?

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Sora + 2300 shifters have a thumb shifter to shift the chain to a faster gear and the brake lever to shift to an easier gear ( on the rh )

It is hard to reach the thumb shifter when your on the "drops " ( the bottom bit of the handlebar), unless your racing the default position for riding is on the "hoods " so this is not a problem .
Tiagra shifters replace the thumb shifter with a lever behind the brake lever you can reach from the hoods and the drops, it is nice but not a deal breaker as they both do the same job.

I would rather get a bike that fits better than worry about if i might have to move my hand off the drop to upshift as it is going to take what a second or 2 extra to change gear ? as i said unless your racing it is not a problem.
When you go to try bikes i am sure the shop will have some bikes with tiagra or higher shifters that are all in the same position so you can always try them.

Sora
Brifters.jpg

tiagra
11384.jpg
Many thanks for that.

This will be my first road bike since an old Sun racer in the very early 1980's so things have changed a bit:blush:

Done 76 miles on a 2300 equipped bike and they are comfortable , never have a need to trim mine w and the shifts are smooth, maybe yours needs to be set up right?

Probably needs adjusting after the '000's of miles it as done but I don't find changing gear an enjoyable experience. There is a reason why it is ££££'s cheaper than 105/Ultegra and I really notice the difference between the 2300 and my other bikes. I am sure it will last and do its job but I wouldn't be happy with it if it was what I was using on a long hilly route.

Horses for courses

johnny mcgurk

I know a lot of people like to ride well known brand name frames but if you're interested in a "no-name" frame with better quality kit, try these guys. http://www.good-bikes.net
Italian company will make up a bike to your requirements( if you know, the dimensions you want or will recommend a size based on your measurements if you don't). No test ride, obviously but if you can find a bike which you like the fit they will make it to those specs. Alu frame, carbon forks campag veloce triple comes in at about 600 euros plus delivery I think. My wife bought her first road bike from them and loves it.

Milo

Guru
I am thinking of maybe giving bar ends a go one day. TBH I do not think that stis are worth the money for your average cyclist and but many would no doubt disagree with me on that. Furthermore I think an indexed front derailleur is not in anyway an advantage.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
The raleigh 300 ticks all the boxes, but, several of my freinds have said dont go for a raleigh as they are not built as well. Must say tho i think i will try to give one a go as the price is good.

Top Bottom