newbie - spec sirrus elite vs secteur sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2good

folks

first of all hello, newbie on here!!

in the process of buying a new bike
currently doing a 26 mile round commute to work, 70% cycle path, 30% road on mtb with slicks..

i was going to buy the spec sirrus elite, but im now thinking i should go for spec secteur sport
never had a road bike...the sirrus appeals but im afraidthat i might want drop bars after a few months.....also afraid i wont like the ride position on a road bike.

i know its prob been discussed before !!!!

any thoughts????

cheers

KevinG

Hi and welcome.

Firstly, I don't believe the upright riding position of the Sirrus will feel all that much of a change from the MTB with slicks after a while (it will at first though) and if you are anything like me, you will naturally desire the move to drops.

I gave it a go and never looked back, though, that said, I aim to use my upright hybrid Trek for commuting as full mudguards, lights etc.

The drops do take some getting used to, but you do after a short while and I'm there now and haven't been out on the Trek in ages.

chfp77

Dare i say have a look at the Felt Z series. Ive seen alot on here about the sectuer and nothing about the Z series. Having read reviews about the felt it gets great reports.

Broadside

Guru
Go for a bike with drops - the straight bars might seem attractive at first but on longer distances you will appreciate the greater variety of hand positions that are available on a bike with drops.

I was initially concerned about going for a road bike with drops so I opted for the Secteur Sport as it has a slightly longer head tube which gives a more upright riding position than most road bikes. None of my fears about backache with switching to a road bike from a MTB have been realised. I say you should go for it!

Norm

2good said:
i know its prob been discussed before !!!!
It has indeed... just yesterday, in fact.

I went with drops and without regrets. :evil:

How is the cycle path? Good surface or lumpy tarmac? Both the Sirrus and the Secteur are road bikes with road wheels which might not appreciate a poor surface.

OP
OP

2good

the cycle path is ok, some bits fine other a bit rougher but mostly tarmac

potsy

Rambler
2good said:
might have a look at spec tricross??????
Think for what you want to do that's a good decision 2good.Will come highly recommended by some on here.Very nearly bought one last year instead of the Secteur but as I'm 99% on road I went with the Sec.

Norm

2good said:
might have a look at spec tricross??????
I'd say that was an excellent idea. I have both and that was the first thing I thought when I saw your route details, but I sometimes wonder if I mouth off about how good the Tricoss is too often. :smile: :blush:

Rather than post it all yet again, have a search around for my previous posts on the subject - especially, have a read of this thread.

The stuff I wrote here might be of interest, and this post has links to some of the videos I took and here for some photos showing the results of "throw it at the countryside and see if it works" style of off-roading.
(Some people might recognise that from previous Normie posts :eek: )

potsy said:
Think for what you want to do that's a good decision 2good.Will come highly recommended by some on here.Very nearly bought one last year instead of the Secteur but as I'm 99% on road I went with the Sec.
The two are very different. The Tricross feels more solid and secure and feels completely at home on cycle paths, with or without tarmac. However, despite the weight difference only being 1kg, the Secteur is faster on the road.

OP
OP

2good

cheers norm you are swaying me towards the tricross
is there much differnce between the basic tricross and the sport, worth the extra £150???...

Norm

Is it worth it? Only you will know what £150 is "worth" to you but I thought it was worth it - I went for the Sport. :rofl:

Tiagra derailleurs are nice, easier shifting position, IMO and the LX mech on the back of the Sport is from their mountain bike range so should be more able to stand up to the rigours than the Shimano 2300 set up on the Tricross Triple. The chain rings give slightly different gearing, although I doubt whether I'd be able to tell the difference between a 50 and a 52. The Sport has again MTB components.

For me, the decision would be to get the Tricross Sport, run it for a while and, if necessary, change the tyres to suit your riding location and style. Others will have different opinions, though. :biggrin:

Top Bottom