newbie that needs advice please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bacon0339

so I'm new to cycling and as I've said in my bio i have always bought Walmart bikes i tried to get the best that i could but wanted a new bike this year and went there 3 times exchanging and returning bikes every time and I've wanted a giant bike forever so i finally did it and spent the 600 on a giant escape 2 city disc but i rode it around today after picking it up from the shop yesterday i rode about 5 miles thru town and idk if its b/c I'm used to all bikes have shocks on the fork b/c all Walmart bikes do but i found even bumps to be harsh on my forearms so i got on to the giant site after my ride today and found a roam 2 which has the shocks on the fork and the hydraulic brakes which i loved on the escape so I'm really just trying to see what everyone on here thinks ill do about 65% of my riding on sidewalks and the rest will be on trail like the great Allegheny pass near Pittsburgh and ohiopyle so any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Ps i know i shouldnt ride on sidewalks but I'm a large guy I've taken up riding to help me lose weight and i love to ride but i dont think i could ride on the road yet especially bc where i live ppl are crazy drivers

Can't say anything about the bikes, but relaxing your grip on the bars and using your elbows and knees as shock absorbers would certainly help with the discomfort. It will become second nature, honest. :smile:

si_c

Guru
Another comfort tip, don't pump the tires up to their maximum, lowering the pressure makes the tires deform over pavement imperfections. Suspension on a bicycle is of most use when riding seriously rough surfaces where you are dropping from one level to another. On light trails or road surfaces they will add very little. The bike you have looks like a great machine, and perfect for the sort of riding that you've described yourself as doing.

Tires and tire pressure are where you will find the comfort improvements - I think the tires you have have a limit of 85psi, so run them at 75, and if you need a bit more comfort drop it to 70.

Also as above don't hold the handlebars too tightly, you want to be in control but you don't need to hold on too tight. If you grip too hard, you're forearms will certainly feel the strain a bit, so loosen up and relax a bit and enjoy your new bike!

OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

thanks everyone for that advice i think ill stick with the bike that i currently have then and ill try to remember using my elbows more i do currently use my knees alot for shocks and how fast should i have to ride to beable to ride on the road b/c i would like to get to that point eventually but currently i dont think im at that level

OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

Another comfort tip, don't pump the tires up to their maximum, lowering the pressure makes the tires deform over pavement imperfections. Suspension on a bicycle is of most use when riding seriously rough surfaces where you are dropping from one level to another. On light trails or road surfaces they will add very little. The bike you have looks like a great machine, and perfect for the sort of riding that you've described yourself as doing.

Tires and tire pressure are where you will find the comfort improvements - I think the tires you have have a limit of 85psi, so run them at 75, and if you need a bit more comfort drop it to 70.

Also as above don't hold the handlebars too tightly, you want to be in control but you don't need to hold on too tight. If you grip too hard, you're forearms will certainly feel the strain a bit, so loosen up and relax a bit and enjoy your new bike!

just figured out how to quote please read my last comment and how also another question on top of that for you and everyone else what gearing should i use when climbing hills b/c i do still struggle when climbing i know alot of that is b/c im almost 300# but ive lost 150 so im trying

si_c

Guru
just figured out how to quote please read my last comment and how also another question on top of that for you and everyone else what gearing should i use when climbing hills b/c i do still struggle when climbing i know alot of that is b/c im almost 300# but ive lost 150 so im trying
When I started cycling, I was around 300lbs same as you, down to 201lbs now, and hills are much easier! Which gear you should use on a hill really depends on how you like to cycle, but as a general rule, the smaller the cog at the front, and the larger the cog at the back, the easier it gets, that being said, it is better to change the cog at the front before you start the hill, as that's the biggest jump, you will stress the gears less moving the ones at the back when you are going uphill. Just practice changing the gears as you move along and get a feel for what feels comfortable.

That being said, if you are in the easiest gear, and you are still finding it hard, there is no shame in getting off and walking. Make a note of where you got off, and come back and try it again, see if you can get further up the hill! We've all got off and walked at some point.

OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

Check out bike fit on you tube it may help

Thanks I'll be sure to do that

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Pittsburgh is a fairly bike-friendly city once you are road confident, I have cycled there and though you have some monster hills I did enjoy it! I am from northeastern Ohio, my better half is from PA but up closer to Erie. I think you'll like getting around the city by bike once you are used to it, just act like a car and follow the rules of the road! There is not a certain speed you have to go to ride on the road, no one expects you to keep up with the cars. Just ride steady and confident and go the speed that suits the terrain best (which for me going up a steep hill is like 2mph, haha!)

For comfort for your arms as well, maybe raising the handlebars might help as then you will be less likely to lean on them so much and put more pressure on your hands. You don't want to have a lot of weight on your wrists. And welcome!

If the bike fits you, you should have a slight bend in each elbow when you're sat on the saddle. It's that what gives you the "give" you need.

And there's no embarrassment in having to get off and walk - we've all been there. :smile: I still sometimes go there... :whistle:

The more you ride, the easier it will be to find the right gear for where you need to be. The aim is to pedal within your limits whether on the flat or climbing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
giant escape 2 city disc
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-2-city-disc
US spec: TiresGiant S-X3, 700x32, puncture protect
Si said this before you'd shared your (drastically reduced but still meaty) weight. Running at those pressures will significantly increase your chances of pinch flats (snake bites) - they are too low.
I've attached an article on 'Tyre inflation'.
With this width of tyre (32mm) and your 300lbs plus bike I'd suggest 100psi in the rear and 80 in the front. The rear will likely be more than the maximum marked on the tyre. Read the section of the article entitled 'Maximum Inflation Pressure' to inform your choices and decision. The graphs are at the end.

Attachments

• Tireinflation.pdf
    622 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom