newbie that needs advice please help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-2-city-disc
US spec: TiresGiant S-X3, 700x32, puncture protect

Si said this before you'd shared your (drastically reduced but still meaty) weight. Running at those pressures will significantly increase your chances of pinch flats (snake bites) - they are too low.
I've attached an article on 'Tyre inflation'.
With this width of tyre (32mm) and your 300lbs plus bike I'd suggest 100psi in the rear and 80 in the front. The rear will likely be more than the maximum marked on the tyre. Read the section of the article entitled 'Maximum Inflation Pressure' to inform your choices and decision. The graphs are at the end.
Thanks for that info I'll definitely do that and see how i should inflate the tires and i check the saddle position to but i believe mine is neutral

froze

Über Member
I don't know about the laws where you live but every place I've ever lived or been too it's illegal for adults to ride a bike on sidewalks, in addition to that riding on sidewalks is actually more dangerous than riding on the street. I guess if Pitt says it's ok for cyclists to be on the sidewalk then fine but I wouldn't, and having been to Pitt and watching people ride their bikes there they were all on the street. Whether your a large guy or not as long as you obey the rules of the road like a car or stay on marked bike lanes you'll be fine, you can add on a bright rear and front flasher to alert motorists that there is a bike rider on the road. But I've seen a lot of accidents and close calls with cyclists on sidewalks, and statistics show that riding on a sidewalk is more dangerous. Granted there are some things you need to be aware of if you ride on the street that will help keep you safe but that discussion needs to be asked for a different post or this one will take a donkey ride off course.

Anyway, buying a bike for less then $600 with shock fork will give you a cheap fork that won't last long and cause headaches. I think if you want a bike with front shock fork you should wait a bit longer and save more money up and get something you really want that will last a long time, I guarantee you you will be happier. There is a worthwhile lower cost option called the Diamondback Overdrive 2 which I think is on sale at Dicks Sporting Stores for $530 (normally $700), or if you can swing the extra cash the Diamondback Comp 27.5 is also on sale for $750 (normally $1,000), both of these bikes have shocks that were pretty highly rated. Dicks can also order one if your local one doesn't have it in stock.

Ajax Bay

Guru
statistics show that riding on a sidewalk is more dangerous
Mr Froze I'll warrant that a large proportion of those reading this thread have restrained themselves from telling the OP that riding on the pavement is verboten (and noted that the OP knows he shouldn't) so thank you for articulating the blindingly obvious. I take the view that with a bit of experience, competence will breed confidence and the OP will be on the road (or off road), enjoying his rides.
Can you offer a reference to the statistics you say "show that riding on a sidewalk is more dangerous" please? More dangerous to whom?
you should wait a bit longer and save more money up and get something you really want that will last a long time
Since the OP has bought his $600 bike, this advice is gratuitous and doesn't really offer encouragement to the OP, does it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can you offer a reference to the statistics you say "show that riding on a sidewalk is more dangerous" please? More dangerous to whom?
Can I place a bet on it being the 1980s Lund University paper? That zombie statistic is amazingly popular in the US and has been stretched far beyond its original context.

ETA: I expect it's clearly more dangerous to pedestrians than not cycling on sidewalks, even though I don't have the statistics, BICBW. Motorists probably remain more dangerous, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

I would like to note to everyone i don't live in pittsburgh i love close to pittsburgh pa about 40 mins i was just giving a landmark for ppl to know where i live bc i believe i did say i love on belle vernon which is a small town i. Wouldn't ride on a sidewalk their i agree that would be dangerous and it's not as hilly in pittsburgh as it is where i live but i did ride on the road for the first time yesterday which was great but never having done this before i felt like i was breaking the law doing so

si_c

Guru
I would like to note to everyone i don't live in pittsburgh i love close to pittsburgh pa about 40 mins i was just giving a landmark for ppl to know where i live bc i believe i did say i love on belle vernon which is a small town i. Wouldn't ride on a sidewalk their i agree that would be dangerous and it's not as hilly in pittsburgh as it is where i live but i did ride on the road for the first time yesterday which was great but never having done this before i felt like i was breaking the law doing so

For now I'd just ride where you feel safest, be that the pavement (sidewalk) or the road itself. Most of the concerns about people riding on sidewalks comes from interactions with pedestrians, but provided that you are considerate of them having priority, then I don't see there being a problem. Obviously riding on the road is the best option in terms of adhering to road regulations, but you can do that as you become more confident of your riding ability.

Mmmm, have you got a local park you can ride around, or something of that ilk?

Also, do check if there aren't any beginners' bike skills classes in your area (the equivalent of bikeability / cycling proficiency over on this side of the pond) that you can sign up for. You'll get taught bike handling skills as well as how to ride confidently on public roads.

OP
OP
bacon0339

bacon0339

Mmmm, have you got a local park you can ride around, or something of that ilk?

Also, do check if there aren't any beginners' bike skills classes in your area (the equivalent of bikeability / cycling proficiency over on this side of the pond) that you can sign up for. You'll get taught bike handling skills as well as how to ride confidently on public roads.

I'll have to see if there are any courses and i do have the great Allegheny pass close to me i could ride on but i have to travel to get to it so if and when i can go there i will but on days i cant is when i ride thru my town

I'll have to see if there are any courses and i do have the great Allegheny pass close to me i could ride on but i have to travel to get to it so if and when i can go there i will but on days i cant is when i ride thru my town

's fair enough :thumbsup:

In the mean time, happy :bicycle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi @bacon0339
Some great advice already posted in this thread so not a lot I can add. Sounds like you well and truly have the cycling bug so welcome to our world :okay:

It is a good point about seeking out some beginners adult training. If you can find a group or organisation that does this they will hopefully point out any obvious errors in your current bike position/set-up and also any mistakes in your technique such as using gears that are too high/low for the situation. The main aim of these courses is often focussed on teaching you how to ride on the road, how to position yourself at intersections, when and how to signal, etc. Do you drive/hold a driving licence? If you are already an experienced driver then you should already know a lot of the basics as the same rules should apply to a cyclist (when to stop, when to give way, which direction to look for approaching traffic, etc).

I wouldn't be too worried about riding on the sidewalk (I would say pavement as this is what we call it in the UK but I think pavement means road surface in the US?) as long as you are sensible, careful and considerate. Most people will only get aggressive about it if you ride like an idiot and put people at risk, it isn't a race track.

I saw this clip on TV a few days ago, PLEASE don't ride like this moron!

There are plenty of unkind comments that follow the clip but I side with the view that the cyclist was fully at fault here as they had a complete view of the situation and were riding far too fast to avoid what was a fairly predictable incident.

Top Bottom