Newbie touring question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

philkenseben

Tony said:
Friend in Nollamara...did you read my Crazyguy Western Oz journal?

I had a look at a bit of your (someones trip) trip in the Avon valley, just outside Perth. York, Toodjay, Beverly etc. I imagine touring Aus by bike is rather lonely and challenging business.

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

Thanks for all the responses/suggestions/feedback so far. Looking through the journals/pics around the forum, is really wetting my appettite to give this a real go next year sometime.

Bodhbh

Guru
Like others have said I would think if you really need a folder. Last year I bought an Airimal Joey, my first adult bike, but in practice the folding utility did not get used much and in the end it got sold and I used the cash to build up something more what I wanted (MTB-based tourer to handle a bit of rough stuff).

It took a rear rack fine, but already that's a bigger fold - too big for the carrying case or suitcase iirc. Front mudguard needs to be removed to fold at all and certainly a front rack. I never seriously looked into transporting it by air, and maybe it's not much of an issue, but I'd get a handle on the logistics first - it might end up as much trouble as a regular bike.

Brains

Legendary Member
In answer to question 2 - Holland is the perfect place for a 1st tour. You don't have to camp, it can be done easily with hotels/B&B's/Hostels
I suggest the Harwich to Hook ferry and then go up the coast on NS1 to the island of Texel and back by train. That would be a good week long introduction

Question 1 - Folding bikes come in two types, those designed for commuting where then collapse down very small, very fast. Brompton is the market leader.

And then there are those bikes that are capable of being folded and packed away but may take anything from 3 to 30 mins to get road worthy. Several companies including Bike Friday, Airnimal and Dahon are market leaders

The other option is the top of the range full size touring bikes from companies such as Thorn, Kyoga, Roberts, Mercian, Condor et al, with the optional S&S couplings which means any of the bikes will go into a suitcase as the frame splits in half. However don't expect any change from fifteen hundred quid.

jay clock

Massive member
Firstly, whet your appetite here www.crazyguyonabike.com

Secondly, I echo the bits about a folder. Unless you HAVE to fit it into a small space or commute on trains with a bike ban, it has lots of compromises.

I have travelled tons of times using a bag from Bike Adventures.

see below for full details of travelling with the bike...
==============================================

[FONT=&quot]First tip TURN UP EARLY if only to stop any arguments. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To pack the bike I use the http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/shop.html bag - have just binned one after about 5 uses. They weigh 550g and will fit in a pannier or on the rack. Remove pedals, swivel handlebars and drop saddle right down. I take tons of cables ties (fix wheel to bike if needed [Flybe], fix pedals to rack etc, and I also unscrew the rear mech (leave all cables on) and cable tie it to the frame to prevent the hanger being bent. On Flybe I use a spacer for the front forks. To tape up the bag I use heavy duty clear tape from B&Q - has a checkered pattern, and tears easily, does not unstick in use, but can be peeled off afterwards.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a precaution for anyone saying “that is not a bike bag” I print a screen shot of the Bike Adventures website showing the bag on sale and in use. I also print the airline’s own terms and conditions just in case.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Easyjet and Ryanair take payment in advance which has the benefit of knowing you have a booking. I have used both several times with a bike.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have used Flybe on several return trips and they have been great. I live 4 miles from Southampton so there is a big attraction to use them. The ONLY issue I have is that officially it is a standby only arrangement, which could really screw up your hols. However it has always worked fine[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Because they use smallish planes you have to remove the front wheel as well as the usual pedal/handlebar stuff. If you do not have front pannier frames, you can just turn the handlebars and forks sideways, rather than undo the bolts to twist it. I strap the wheel to the RIGHT hand side of the bike as on the first occasion I ended up with a slightly bent outer chain ring (Stronglight softish alloy) which I bent back with pliers. TOP TIP, as Flybe are at smaller airports they may well not have an excess baggage Xray large enough for bikes, so do not seal the bag till they tell you they are happy, as they may do a manual explosives swab.

I have only been asked to pay once with FlyBe. On other occasions they either didn't ask me, or because I was carrying the panniers as carry on bags, they didn't think it was fair. However with new rules on carry on bags (max 1 and rigidly enforced), I will be checking in the panniers, but plan to put these inside a £shop duffel bag I got to avoid being charged on a per-piece basis!

They will only not carry your bike on the same flight as you if it is very full and very laden. Now that people have to pay for bags this is less likely, as more will reduce luggage and carry it on. But there is the risk in which case they will send it on the next flight

However I have had telephone contact with Flybe (trying calling Ryanair!) and they are friendly and helpful - I am confident that if the bike misses the plane they would do their best to help.

[/FONT]

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

Might be persuaded to reconsider folding bike for a tourer. Will just have to think through the logistics more.

One more teeny little question: whats a typical distance you would suggest a novice tourer aim per day ? I realise there are many variables to consider here but in nutshell: flat paths, reasonable fitness, no major hurry ?

oxford_guy

Über Member
philkenseben said:
Might be persuaded to reconsider folding bike for a tourer. Will just have to think through the logistics more.

One more teeny little question: whats a typical distance you would suggest a novice tourer aim per day ? I realise there are many variables to consider here but in nutshell: flat paths, reasonable fitness, no major hurry ?

If its pretty flat and you're not completely unfit, 25-30 miles would be easy (that's only a couple of hours at 12 mph), but I reckon you could probably do more without too much effort

jay clock

Massive member
If you are going for a week, then 25-40 might be sensible for the first 3 or 4 days, then 50-60 after that. I would aim to do lots of short rides in the UK before going (2-3 miles per day, adding 1 or 2 miles every couple of days, until you can easily do 20-25 unladen miles.

If going on a longer tour, start off slow and get fitter as you tour

Tony

philkenseben said:
I had a look at a bit of your (someones trip) trip in the Avon valley, just outside Perth. York, Toodjay, Beverly etc. I imagine touring Aus by bike is rather lonely and challenging business.
One of the links at the bottom of my posts is to a ride from Perth to Norseman via Walpole, Albany and Esperance. Riding in Australia is an amazing experience.....apart from the flies and the smell of the roadkill.

Riding in Holland is simple but often surprising. Huge sea barriers, amazing polders, sheets of flowers and good beer. One thing to remember is ferry prices: you pay to cross rivers and the sea, you get over canals for free.

Distance? I typically average 45 miles a day including rest days,and work on an average of three weeks to do 1,000 loaded miles. Many people do a lot more, but you don't need to. Just enjoy yourself.

I see Jay Clock is now on this thread. Pay heed to the man---a very widely travelled tourist! :angry:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
philkenseben said:
Hello,

Recently i've become obsessed with the idea of going on a bicycle tour. Which i've never considered before, nor done anything like before. I'm a complete novice to cycling: i had bikes when i was a teenage, now i'm in my 30's.

2. Is it possible to tour Holland and stay away from roads or atleast be in a dedicated cycle lane at all times? From research on the net, it seems cycle paths are everywhere in Holland (only been to amsterdam). Being a novice i'm fairly convinced i'd end up under the wheels of a semi trailer if i had to share a highway with one.

Thanks in advance. Hope this isnt laughed out of the water :biggrin:

You will be entirely safe in Holland. Like you, I am a beginner, and never ventured abroad until a couple of months ago, and it was only for a day from Hook of Holland to Amsterdam.

It was only 58 miles, but the trip was on cycle paths or cycle lanes all the way apart from really quiet country lanes, maybe five miles total. In Amsterdam, there are cycle lanes alongside every road.

Absolutely no worries at all, even for one as aged as myself.

Arch

Married to Night Train
philkenseben said:

After a day or two to acclimatise, anything between 30 and 50 miles a day should be do-able in comfort. At an average speed of 10 mph (actually you might well be faster on flat plaths, unless you encounter a Dutch headwind), that gives you five hours in the saddle, allowing good time for lunch, and stops along the way. But don't get too hung up on distances - think about why you want to tour. If it's just about miles, then fair enough, but if you want to explore a place, you might find you end up in somewhere interesting after only 30 miles one day, and want to stay there, whereas another day you might keep going for much longer. It depends I suppose, on whether you want to have your nightly stops planned in advance, or are confident of arranging them on the fly.

If you put shorter distances between your planned nightly stops, you can always do wiggley routes to get there, or get there and then ride off to explore the area.

Also, remember fitness is only one aspect of the ride - my legs will go on for longer than my bum and shoulders are happy with. Make sure your mount is comfortable and fits well.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hi and :rolleyes:

A few folders have full-size wheels - Dahon do some which aren't extortionate. I would query (as others have) whether a folder is actually your best bet. They're not much less hassle to get on a plane...
I hope you won't take it amiss if I suggest something you may not have thought of? You're talking about the Netherlands and you live in London. How about getting the train to Harwich and then the ferry to Hook of Holland? It'll probably work out cheaper than a flight, and be a lot less hassle. Granted, the ferry takes time, but it's overnight so you'd be asleep anyhow. And it neatly avoids the whole boxing-the-bike-up problem. Train up, ride on, and ride away. Simples!

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

TheDoctor said:
Hi and ;)

A few folders have full-size wheels - Dahon do some which aren't extortionate. I would query (as others have) whether a folder is actually your best bet. They're not much less hassle to get on a plane...
I hope you won't take it amiss if I suggest something you may not have thought of? You're talking about the Netherlands and you live in London. How about getting the train to Harwich and then the ferry to Hook of Holland? It'll probably work out cheaper than a flight, and be a lot less hassle. Granted, the ferry takes time, but it's overnight so you'd be asleep anyhow. And it neatly avoids the whole boxing-the-bike-up problem. Train up, ride on, and ride away. Simples!

Well yeah, i was just thinking of other plane trips.

Thanks for the welcome and further responses ladies and gents.

Top Bottom