Newbie touring question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philkenseben

Hello,

Recently i've become obsessed with the idea of going on a bicycle tour. Which i've never considered before, nor done anything like before. I'm a complete novice to cycling: i had bikes when i was a teenage, now i'm in my 30's. My only method of commuting is the annoying London Tube. I'm reasonably fit though, play cricket in the summer as a fast (ok mediumish) bowler, so i'm not an ultra fat slob :smile:

Anyway, i figure travelling a country by bicycle would be an amazing experience. I'm kinda bored with the whole hostel/hotel thing. The idea of seeing Holland has really taken my fancy, since A: its biker friendly and B: because its flat and C: because its not very big. So i assume it would be a fairly easy(relatively) introduction to touring.

So i have 2 fairly big questions. Firstly:

1. Is it possible to buy a bike for this, thats foldable? Now i've seen the typical folding bikes, but they seem to me, to be for short distanced use. However are any on the market that you could reccomend that would be ok for touring ? I'm assuming i'd like to ride for about a week or something similar?

2. Is it possible to tour Holland and stay away from roads or atleast be in a dedicated cycle lane at all times? From research on the net, it seems cycle paths are everywhere in Holland (only been to amsterdam). Being a novice i'm fairly convinced i'd end up under the wheels of a semi trailer if i had to share a highway with one.

Thanks in advance. Hope this isnt laughed out of the water :biggrin:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Welcome good chap (or chapess). I cannot answer your question , never having cycled in Holland, but someone will surely be along soon to help.

wullof

hello there

well having never traveld in holland before would it not be safer as a novice to start off in england first? that way if you have troubles youre already on home turf,i assume you want to camp so an appropiate tent will be needed not too small not too big,what type of bike well again that depends ive toured on traditional tourers dawes galaxy etc but my last tour was on a hybrid wich was fine,the other thing is how long will you be on tour cause then how much you need to take equipment clothes & er money,will it be a circuler route,going on tour by ones self can be can be quite an undertaking, but think the pleasures ive experienced from them are truely mind broadening & character building, i think the key word here is dont rush into it before you get more advice from more people & be well prepared,some people woud say theres a whole host of things to considder,others would just go do it & learn by experience i hope this helps you,an interesting thread i think i wiat to see what others will say.

snorri

Legendary Member
philkenseben said:
a semi trailer if i had to share a highway with one.
It sounds as if you might have lived across the pond at one time? If so, then half the battle is won, they drive on the wrong side of the road in The Netherlands too.:blush:
I'll leave your Q1 to someone else, but with regard to Q2 sharing the road, you will share the road occasionally with motor vehicles, but where motor traffic is heavy and or fast, there will be a cycle path close by which it may well be compulsory for you to use.
The danger could come from other cyclists, they will know their rights and expect you to know yours, cyclists in The Netherlands are a more disciplined lot. Also, never never walk on a cycle path, unless you want to come home with a fine vocabulary of Dutch angry words.:smile:
The down side of cycling over there is the dark cloud of depression that envelopes you as you return to cycling on British roads.:biggrin:

Tony

Question one is easy,and the answer is yes. I know of several folk who have done serious tours on folders. One friend crossed Australia on one. Look up,among others, Bike Friday.
Such bikes suffer from being small-wheeled. 700C (normal road bike size) wheels are better in terms of rolling resistance, but then again smaller wheels are stronger.
Be aware that spares may be harder to get abroad.

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

Thanks for the welcome and responses:

Wullof: England has awful cycling infrastructure from what i've seen of the country so far. Netherlands seems a far gentler introduction for a novice. I'm not worried about being away from home, i've been away from it for over 2 years (i'm from Aus *awaits boo's and hisses')

Snorri: across the pond? nope see above. Not sure why i called them 'semi-trailers' to be honest. Too many crappy American flicks?

Tony: Brilliant pics of your tour of the North Sea. Lots of pics of just how i imagined riding Holland would be. Also very heartening to hear of other people doing considerable rides on folding bikes. My budget is a bit tight though: i'm thinking of spending about 600-700 quid on a bike. Is this possible?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome to Cyclechat!

Why do you need a folding bike? Just asking as there are lots of different folders out there including full size bikes which fold in half. It would help us narrow down our recommendations.

As for Holland, I spent a few days over there earlier this year and would say it sounds perfect for what you want. It's easy to stick just to off road cycle paths and very quiet back roads. One thing to check out is the prevailing wind direction. A colleague changed his itinerary because he found he was cycling into a head wind all the time. I *think* the wind usually comes from the south west.

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

HelenD123 said:
Hi and welcome to Cyclechat!

Why do you need a folding bike? Just asking as there are lots of different folders out there including full size bikes which fold in half. It would help us narrow down our recommendations.

As for Holland, I spent a few days over there earlier this year and would say it sounds perfect for what you want. It's easy to stick just to off road cycle paths and very quiet back roads. One thing to check out is the prevailing wind direction. A colleague changed his itinerary because he found he was cycling into a head wind all the time. I *think* the wind usually comes from the south west.

A folding bike just sounds perfect for travelling. It means i can fly on short trips and take a bike without the hassle of having to convey it to the airport (i have very little interest in riding in London), or it getting smashed apart, or it getting stolen. I fly a fair bit, to the States, Europe etc on longish weekends, would make for a very efficient day tripper.

Basically i want a bike i can take overseas. I wouldnt be riding it at home (London). I suppose i'd take it elsewhere of course in England, if i had a weekend away somewhere.

Good point about the winds. Will have to look into this more thoroughly. I assume time of the year is a major factor in this. I'm looking to do my first tour in summer next year.

stephenjubb

Über Member
>>It means i can fly on short trips and take a bike without the hassle of >>having to convey it to the airport

The only advantage you will have of a folder is it will be easier to get to the airport, it will still need packaging appropriately (varies by airline) and could be damaged by airport staff when in transit.

Don't forget you will have to still lug all of your other gear in addition to a folded bike.

To me having flown several times taking a full size bike is a pain in the arse with all the packaging and prevantive measures (protecting the bike etc) and then the twatting airport staff damage it (not all I might add)

I got a bike friday, it folds into a suitcase (with a bit of work) with the suitcase becoming a trailer.

The idea is cycle to airport (whereever possible), detach trailer, remove luggage from trailer(suitcase), fold trailer and bike into suitcase, check in with luggage and suitcase.

Bike cannot be damaged as it is in suitcase. Easier to transport as suitcase has wheels.

only downside is they cost a bloody fortune but worth well the money, they are easy to stay in hotels with, no asking hotel staff to put bike anywhere (folds up and goes in bag!), easier to get on trains (put in it bag)

far more flexible than full size bike (but they have advantages though i.e. availablility of spares etc)

HTH
steve

Tony

I met a chap when touring in Purbeck who had ridden all over the UK visiting all the RNLI stations.
On a Brompton.
I can't give any more infoon folders,as I don't ride them,but as said am happy with any area information. Where in Oz are you from?

OP
OP
P

philkenseben

Tony said:
I met a chap when touring in Purbeck who had ridden all over the UK visiting all the RNLI stations.
On a Brompton.
I can't give any more infoon folders,as I don't ride them,but as said am happy with any area information. Where in Oz are you from?

Originally from Perth. Living now in London indefinitely.

earthuman

philkenseben said:
Hello,

Recently i've become obsessed with the idea of going on a bicycle tour. Which i've never considered before, nor done anything like before. I'm a complete novice to cycling: i had bikes when i was a teenage, now i'm in my 30's. My only method of commuting is the annoying London Tube. I'm reasonably fit though, play cricket in the summer as a fast (ok mediumish) bowler, so i'm not an ultra fat slob :becool:

Anyway, i figure travelling a country by bicycle would be an amazing experience. I'm kinda bored with the whole hostel/hotel thing. The idea of seeing Holland has really taken my fancy, since A: its biker friendly and B: because its flat and C: because its not very big. So i assume it would be a fairly easy(relatively) introduction to touring.

So i have 2 fairly big questions. Firstly:

1. Is it possible to buy a bike for this, thats foldable? Now i've seen the typical folding bikes, but they seem to me, to be for short distanced use. However are any on the market that you could reccomend that would be ok for touring ? I'm assuming i'd like to ride for about a week or something similar?

2. Is it possible to tour Holland and stay away from roads or atleast be in a dedicated cycle lane at all times? From research on the net, it seems cycle paths are everywhere in Holland (only been to amsterdam). Being a novice i'm fairly convinced i'd end up under the wheels of a semi trailer if i had to share a highway with one.

Thanks in advance. Hope this isnt laughed out of the water :laugh:

hey mate, I can't help you with question one - I don't have a folding bike and never used one (but as others suggest - the Bike Friday is one that I've seen around on the net).

As far as questions two goes - well...I suppose I don't have any experience here - never toured in Holland - but what I did want to say is that I'm on my very first long tour right now and decided to start by cycling through France. I'm finding it very easy to avoid high traffic roads and enjoy the smaller roads through the country side. Also - in the larger cities you find bike paths everywhere so I have not yet had any issues about traffic....and there are patisseries everywhere...definitely a plus

Top Bottom