Newbie with a challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveW

Hello. Just about to get into cycling aged 41 after a long time away. I've lived in big cities (London - Sydney - London - Paris) for the past 20 years and despite owning a mountain bike never had much cause to use it. We moved from Paris back to Winchester last September and within weeks my new colleagues were asking me if my new boss had convinced me to get a bike yet. He and a small gang of guys are keen cyclists, riding every weekend and often in evenings in summer. They all do an annual charity ride. This years challenge is in September, a ride from our Basingstoke office to Paris office over 3 days, including 90 miles on the last day. I've become quite good mates with my boss and the guys he cycles with and given my French skills they have practically begged me to get a bike, train up and join in. They've offered all the training support I need. So I've decided to do it and I'm convinced the experience and training will make me a permanent fixture in this little cycling gang, who are a fun group (youngest 28, oldest 52 so a good age mix). Hampshire, they tell me, has some great cycling routes and I must admit it is a beautiful area. I tested a few of the guys bikes at lunchtime last week and one had a Specialized Secteur which just felt absolutely right for me. So this week I'm collecting a new Specialized Sector Sport. Luckily my boss is the CEO and he has sorted it to be bought through the company bikes for work scheme saving me 42% and the bike is reduced to £700 at the moment so I'm paying around £400. Left me some cash to get all the extras. So now the training begins (I'm not very fit!). Did a first ride (for years) on my old mountain bike this morning, managed 13 miles in an hour. My backside hurts as I write this but my legs were and are fine, always had quite strong legs and have trained them up for skiing quite a bit. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it, but must say I'm excited about this new hobby, new buddies and the challenge ahead.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
enjoy the ride and the training up to it , and welcome

Broadside

Guru
Hampshire does indeed have some amazing cycling. I am in Fleet and regularly ride down through the Candovers and on to New Alresford and back up to Alton and Farnham, all within striking distance of you in Winch. Get off the main roads and get to know the lanes around the area, it really is stunning. Also worth going around the West Meon area and over to Petersfield, Liphook, Haslemere and Hindhead if you like it a bit hillier.

Good luck with getting back in to cycling and your ride to Paris.

OP
OP
D

DaveW

Thanks for the warm welcome. Have been studying the forum and the more I read the more nervous I am about the clipless pedals! I hadn't thought about them at all until reading about the thrills and spills they sometimes offer. Ah well, practice I suppose. Just planning next saturdays ride. I hope to have my Secteur by then and will see if I can manage 18 to 20 miles. If work permits will try a 15 mile ride on my mountain bike mid week. Out today (lunch in a village near Alresford) I noticed masses of cyclists enjoying the Hampshire villages. My brother made me laugh today when I told him about the cycling, he asked me if I will do the whole "Lycra, budgie smuggler thing".

Top Bottom