Newbie with a tough Decision.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
I was really tempted by a cross/gravel bike when the C2W scheme came up last year but in the end I got a 29er. I just find it a lot more versatile, it rolls well on the road plus just has that extra bit of ability off road. During the winter I used it far more than the winter roadie and still put in the same sort of mileage.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome @J90LNE

Some basic questions first might help; how far are you planning to commute? Also, what type of terrain; i.e. road, paths, off-road?

Commuting bikes are often bought on a budget. Mine's a home-built Wilier Montegrappa for about £300. Why? Because you're using them in all sorts of conditions and there's likely to be more risks around busy roads and security.

In the winter I can be found riding all sorts of stuff; a £20 Raleigh Pioneer was the most common over the winter just gone simply because we've had a cold, wet winter and I wasn't going to use anything decent.

Your suggestions are both at the top end of the typical price range. Of the two I'd go for the Cube. Or rather I wouldn't; I'd use a much cheaper bike for commuting and save the best bike for weekends / other rides.
indeed , my commuter is a bike that cost me under £40 to built up out of spares , unless you have somewhere secure then i wouldnt dare to leave a bike that ost £1k in plain view as to me its a lot of money.

OP
OP
J90LNE

J90LNE

indeed , my commuter is a bike that cost me under £40 to built up out of spares , unless you have somewhere secure then i wouldnt dare to leave a bike that ost £1k in plain view as to me its a lot of money.

I can leave the bike in my workshop, under swipe card access and in the garage when at home. my only concern would be if i had to stop at the shop on the way to work. i could potentially walk from work to the shop if needed.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I can leave the bike in my workshop, under swipe card access and in the garage when at home. my only concern would be if i had to stop at the shop on the way to work. i could potentially walk from work to the shop if needed.
Some people have been known to take their bike into the shop :smile: Depends on the shop & perhaps how friendly you are with the staff.

rivers

How far can I go?
Some people have been known to take their bike into the shop :smile: Depends on the shop & perhaps how friendly you are with the staff.

The only shop that has ever given me issues is Tesco. Sainsbury's tend to be okay, as do smaller shops like Premier and Londis.

Top Bottom