Newbie with an old bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rousey0193

Regular
Hello all,

As the title suggests I'm a complete novice to the world of cycling and vintage bikes, but I've been steered here by my dad who is very much into his classic bikes and was also a active on here (albeit not recently) and suggested I come in and introduce myself.

I recently purchased a 1954 Claud Butler Jubilee Special, which was in very good condition for the age and is all original, with pretty much all the components as they were when it left the factory!

I'm led to believe the £20 I paid for it was a bit of a bargain? To say I'm pleased with it is something of an understatement.

As the project currently stands, I require a 27x1 1/4 32 spoke and a 40 spoke rim (the originals are Dunlop Special Lightweights) a single GB Superhood brake lever (I'm missing one) and a dome nut to secure the rear brake to the frame (the brakes are GB Sports). Unfortunately I'm struggling finding spares and replacements so any help at all in locating the parts I need would be greatly appreciated! I'm located in the East Midlands, so if there are any shops or suppliers in the region that anyone knows of, that would be great!
IMG_20170204_101926.jpg
IMG_20170204_123755.jpg
IMG_20170204_123600.jpg
IMG_20170204_123837.jpg
IMG_20170204_124208.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yup that was a bargain

OP
OP
Rousey0193

Rousey0193

Regular
Thanks guys :biggrin: The plans so far are to get it rideable again but keep it as original as possible as well. So just cleaning it up, replacing broken or missing things etc.

I've managed to find the original advert in the Claud Butler catalogue for that year and fortunately it lists pretty much everything it should have on it so I've got a good idea of what the original spec is and what I need to get for it! FB_IMG_1486321812725.jpg

scarygerbil

nice bike
the hardest things to get will probably be the rims it took me 6 months to find a decent set that wasn't over priced. so see if you can renovate the ones you have or you could use 36 spoke ones with your original rear free wheel till you find a set of rims

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'm led to believe the £20 I paid for it was a bit of a bargain?

More than a bit of a bargain.

I'd do little more than get it fettled, check it is functional and safe to ride and then use it !

OP
OP
Rousey0193

Rousey0193

Regular
nice bike
the hardest things to get will probably be the rims it took me 6 months to find a decent set that wasn't over priced. so see if you can renovate the ones you have or you could use 36 spoke ones with your original rear free wheel till you find a set of rims

I think that's the plan scarygerbil, I've got an inner tube and new tyre on the back and it's all straight and true (If a little battle-scarred and scruffy) but the front is beyond repair so will likely have a to get a new one like you say.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed though, I've got a couple of the local old-school bike shops asking around their suppliers for NOS rims. Hopefully something will turn up!

OP
OP
Rousey0193

Rousey0193

Regular
You must be really chuffed with it, and only twice the new price! At least a saddle won't be hard to find as the original looks like a Brooks.

I am. I'd been looking out for a decent bike to have a go at restoring for a while but gave up hope in the end. I still can't believe my luck and am very protective over it at the moment... :tongue:

I've actually got the original Brooks saddle, I'd just taken it inside to dry out when I took that photo as it was damp. It's cleaned up really well with a bit of saddle soap and some beeswax.

Top Bottom