Newbie with an old bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Good luck with your project, sounds like you've got it pretty well sussed!
Don't worry too hard about slavishly following the parts list in the advert, in those days people were much more likely to buy a frame and kit it out with what they could afford because they didn't have to pay the 25% purchase tax, so don't be too hard on yourself - "period accurate" is fine (also it's your bike and updating bits for rideability is perfectly ok).

OP
OP
Rousey0193

Rousey0193

Regular
Good luck with your project, sounds like you've got it pretty well sussed!
Don't worry too hard about slavishly following the parts list in the advert, in those days people were much more likely to buy a frame and kit it out with what they could afford because they didn't have to pay the 25% purchase tax, so don't be too hard on yourself - "period accurate" is fine (also it's your bike and updating bits for rideability is perfectly ok).

Fortunately my old man does this sort of thing for a hobby so I've had plenty of help and advice to work with. I doubt I'd be anywhere near as organised or under control without him!

It was on his advise that I came on here. He portrayed you all as a font of knowledge and experience to which I could turn if I got stuck with anything :whistle:

I hadn't thought of it like that to be honest, so thanks for pointing that out! I'll be sure to get some pictures up once she's done!

robsa

Über Member
Less of the old. Since you brought that bloody Claude round I've not done anything on me new project!
Been to derby this morning delivering and was gutted to see Samways cycles is shut. Was going to pop in and see if they'd got a rim for you.

OP
OP
Rousey0193

Rousey0193

Regular
Less of the old. Since you brought that bloody Claude round I've not done anything on me new project!
Been to derby this morning delivering and was gutted to see Samways cycles is shut. Was going to pop in and see if they'd got a rim for you.

I wondered how long it would be before you showed up! I'll bring you those levers round tomorrow if I get chance.

robsa

Über Member
14870869256441985306544.jpg

These are a couple of pics of the small hole in the rim. Is it too bad too use? has he got to get a new rim? Or should he be ok with it till a reasonably priced rim comes along?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

robsa

Über Member
They rather nice. But it's the sons bike. The rear is pretty ok. Not brilliant but ok. I think he wants to keep as much of the original as he can.

robsa

Über Member
Well, been tinkering with the lads Claude. Had session trying to get the cyclo Benelux gears to work. Fiddled with them for an hr and low and behold they worked.
For two minutes.
Then flew apart.
Now do I try to reassemble them.
Or throw them in the brook at the end of my garden and try and find a period huret?

Top Bottom