Newbie with Lower back pain!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
After doing 6 hours on the road bike I have some lower back pain which started 3/4's way in.
I'm sure my seat is in the right place & that the frame is the correct size.
Do you think it's just because I'm not used to been in a race position for so long & I'll get used to it?

:bicycle: :bicycle::unsure:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I still get back pain. Doesnt matter what position I am in, I will still get it after about 3 hours on the bike.

Blurb

Über Member
If the bike is the right size for you and are generally fit, then building up your core strength is what I'd try first. Do some searches for core strength exercises. I found just 15 mins of basic workout a day did wonders.

Ccchicane

Don't forget to stretch! Cycling locks you into one position for long periods of time, so stretches are recommended, try and do a 10 minute stretching routine every day and you will certainly feel the benefit, graham obree gives a useful stretching routine in his book "the obree way" having said that, core strength is also very important and more longer rides train your body to handle the stresses associated with cycling

It happens to everyone. 6 hours is a long time.

1. get the bike set up right. I don't necessarily mean professionally, but get the seat (height and fore-aft) and the bars (height and stem length) in about the right place. I do my own static fit, using heel on pedal and then a plumb line from under my knee cap. Stem length adjusted to make front hub invisible when I'm on the hoods.

2. Do what the others say above... Do some core-muscle and flexibilty stuff. Nothing too major, but slowly build a little strength and flax.

3. Give yourself the option to move your arse on the saddle and your hands on the bars. Between those two, you'll have the chance to stretch your back.

4. And this sounds absurd but can be surprisingly effective. If your back feels stiff, ride along pushing your arse backwards and feeling as if you are arching your backin a really exaggerated way. Arms straight, hands on hoods, arse to rear of saddle and shoulders back - to sort of make a parabola of your spine. You'll feel slightly silly, but it will sort your back out in no time.

Blurb

Über Member
Agree about moving about when riding. I'm constantly fidgeting between hoods, top, drops, standing up and this keeps your whole body changing, reducing the chance for fatigue to set in. I did 100km at the weekend and came away without any aches or pains, just a bit cream crackered, and I'm in my late 40s. I still class myself as a newbie :smile:

Jon2

Make sure you're not running out of energy. When I'm getting tired I tend to slouch on the bike and the aches start. I solved it by eating more, which I was pleased by. :mrpig:

Top Bottom