Newbie with Tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I have just rediscovered the fun of cycling and bought a Giant Rincon Trail which I am very happy with, except riding it on road/tarmac is hard work! I am looking to replace the tyres the bike came with for something more dual purpose IE 70% road use and 30% forest trail/tow path/track any recommendation please. When I replace the tyres do I also need to replace the inner tube? Does the rim have a maximum or minimum width tyre it will accept? The rims are Etrto 559x19 6005A-TS and the tyres are Kenda 26x2.1.

Richard

There are lots of tyres available for your wheel size ranging from 26 X 1.0 upwards. The upper limit is determined by the frame clearances.

Road tyres and dirt tyres have very different characteristics. Road tyres are high pressure, skinny and smooth for fast rolling and good traction on smooth surfaces whilst dirt tyres are low pressure, fat and knobbly for good grip on loose terrain. A tyre which can excel in both simply doesn't exist, all you can hope for is a dirt tyre which is 'less bad' on the road.

Look for; A narrower casing, 1.95 or less.
Lots of closely spaced small and low profile knobbles rather than a large knobble/ aggressive gappy tread.
High quality casing which reduces rolling resistance.

byegad

Legendary Member
In my experience semi slicks like Kenda Kwests are good on anything but mud. If your 30% off road is only muddy a few times a year go for a semi_slick about 1.5" wide and the bike will seem to fly.

OP
OP
B

broadlandcyclist

Thanks for replies, having searched internet and various manufacturer websites I went for a pair of Continental Travel Contact MTB tyres 26x1.75 and after a couple of evenings of road & light trail tests I can happily say it has transformed the bike from one I wanted to sell to one I now enjoy riding - result!

OP
OP
B

broadlandcyclist

Will1985 said:
Hmm broadlandcyclist - Thetford area almost certainly.....Norfolk or Suffolk?!?

Welcome!

I must get out to Thetford for a weekend of camping & cycling, a possibility for coming bank holiday, and something for next year, The Peddars way & north norfolk coast route.

Will1985

Über Member
Sorry - I am being an idiot...probably because it was late!

No idea why I read it as Breckland and not Broadland....

Ok, so where do you live? Obviously around Norwich somewhere....

OP
OP
B

broadlandcyclist

Will1985 said:
Sorry - I am being an idiot...probably because it was late!

No idea why I read it as Breckland and not Broadland....

Ok, so where do you live? Obviously around Norwich somewhere....

Martham - 7 miles north of Gt Yarmouth, near the river & near the beach:biggrin:

Top Bottom