Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

11 miles today, milestone for me

OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

Need to adjust gears, lots of slipping when trying to use largest cog on rear, need to hold bike somehow so I can tinker with it

Need to adjust gears, lots of slipping when trying to use largest cog on rear, need to hold bike somehow so I can tinker with it
Bike work stands, but depends on storage and budget I guess. How do you mean slips, does it slip off back to 2nd or slip as you rotate the cranks. This is a bit basic but I presume you are not using large front large rear (known as cross chaining) as this puts the chain at its most extreme angle between front chainset and rear gears

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

I think its not quite adjusted to reach the larger cog, will get a workstand and have a play, cannot see what its doing at the back, have change up to stop the slipping, but then struggle cos still getting uphill

Nibor

Bewildered
sounds like you need to tighten the cable very slightly 1/4
adjuster.jpg
to 1/2 a turn anti clockwise on the adjuster to start with then suck it and see.

OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

Bought a Bike Stand, Halfords Bike Hut, thanks "vickster", adjusted gears, now I can get on Largest cog at rear, will ride at weekend to test

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Probably you might not notice, but look at the progress you've made already, first we had:
Am 53, overweight, cycling for first time in 25years, have a Kona Jake bike, all seems a struggle, feels alien
... and now, just 20 days later, you're up for this:
Its time to go further, only fear is holding me back, 30 miles, not far but have to do it
How good is that?
Another great thing is that you have fixed your bike yourself, too. There are plenty of people out there that have never done this, even after many years of owning a bike. Good for you and keep it up, I am following this thread with great interest as I'm sure many others are :smile:

Last edited:

Wetdog

Hi Mike, it's all good. The people that you thought were looking don't give two stuffs about you.
I'm 56, 6 foot tall, and 20 stone. I haven't taken any exercise in 25 years. I bought a bike and started, identified a few local routes and all is fine. I'm up to 8 miles and I don't get out of breath as much, and I'm stronger.
So come on, pat yourself on the back and get out 3 times a week . It's beltin ^_^

Top Bottom