Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome aboard. Don't worry there are lots of us who have been in your position. Start of slowly and build up, remember that the golden rule is to enjoy your cycling. It can seem a struggle at times - coffee and cake is usually the best solution.
If you need any specific help, there are plenty of knowledgeable people able to offer helpful advice.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Using the gear and anticipating the gear changes in advance does make it a lot easier. With more miles you will develop a feel for what feels comfortable. The other benefit of more mileage is that you will start to learn the local hills and be prepared !

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. Things will get easier and better,just game you're time. Slowly does it.

Try and find a comfortable cadence (ie how often you spin the pedals) and try to stick to it. If its too easy, change to a higher gear, if it's too hard, change to a lower gear.

Wetdog

Hey bud, were to to far apart you and I. I'm 55 and overweight, not exercised for years. My distance is now 6 miles and slowly improving.
Just ride your bike however feels right, good luck .

@Mikesshed as @Markymark said try and find a good cadence (it will take time) people tend to think that they need to push hard on the pedals but when you can spin the pedals faster in a lower gear it is easier and just as fast (not that speed should be a primary concern) the more you do the easier it becomes.
Tip in the wind (as we seem to have a bit of a blow at the mo) just use a low gear that is comfortable for you to make head way, anything to high and you will hate it, you can't beat the wind but it is possible to get through it, no matter how strong it is.
and :welcome:

Last edited:
Top Bottom