Newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Nice to see you to see you nice.It is all down hill now.So much choice for cycles.Take your time in choosing.Get it right first time.Ask questions ,Google up some info.Loads of great advice on the net.I ride a Dawes Galaxy not flash not fast but can ride it all day.Have ordered a Giant Rincon for some towpath cycling on the Leeds- Liverpool canal 250 quid putting slicks on it.Got the info off the net.Good luck.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if budget's tight, you can always (provided you get a reasonable frame) upgrade components as you go.

halfords carrera range is good for the money, although it's a bit of a lottery as to whether they'll set the bike up properly. you'll get an ok frame with decent enough components to get you going. first upgrade will probably be carbon forks.

if you can get a well equipped bike for your budget, do so. but if you're dipping a toe in and don't want to spend money on a bike that's going to take up space in the shed/hallway doing nothing, buying a cheapish bike and upgrading it could be the way to go. will cost more in the long run though.

If you get a mountain bike and put slicks on it, you've got both options. Will never be as fast as a road bike, but will be happy on and off road... especially if you can lock out the forks, so you don't bounce when on the road.... At £400 you should be able to find a decent one...

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I would suggest getting hold of the best second hand steel framed touring bike you can find. Tourers are probably the best allround bikes there are. They are equally at home on roads, towpaths and woodland tracks. And of course they have the built in advantage that if you stick racks on them, they are perfect for shopping, commuting and naturally, touring.

If you do get a second hand one, I wouldn't worry too much initially about the componentry because as you go along you will find out more and more and gradually upgrade the specs of e.g. wheels, gears etc and you will then be in a posession of an absolutely tip top bike.

For general initial knocking about I would recommend getting a bar bag or maybe a top bag for the back rack. In this carry p***ture repair kit, a mini tool, a leatherman, waterproofs etc. If it's a bar bag, then obviously get one where you can display your map. Best of luck.

cyclebum

As I reread this thread it did make me think of 1 important factor, especially if you buy online in some way, and that is check the frame size.
I was not properly advised when I bought mine and thought a 16 inch was right for me. Much as I love my bike, I have recently spent 5 days on an 18 inch bike and found the riding much more comfortable and better suited to my size. Buying on line you could not check this but I'm sure your LBS would advise you which you would need. :blush:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
cyclebum said:
As I reread this thread it did make me think of 1 important factor, especially if you buy online in some way, and that is check the frame size.
I was not properly advised when I bought mine and thought a 16 inch was right for me. Much as I love my bike, I have recently spent 5 days on an 18 inch bike and found the riding much more comfortable and better suited to my size. Buying on line you could not check this but I'm sure your LBS would advise you which you would need. :blush:

Fully agree, Cyclebum. Just one caveat though, not all manufacturers measure their frames the same way, so no substitute for trying the bike at a lbs.

On the bike size thing I have a question...
If you think of a rider as a triangle saddle-bars saddle-pedal pedal-bars, bikes are sized by the saddle-pedal distance, but it is that distance which is most easy to change by adjusting the saddle. The other two distances are fairly well set or have much less room to move. So why are bikes not sized by the distance from the stem to the handle bars? It would seem to make more sense!

I think it is more down to the type of bike too. I found my mountain bike tips me forward (I guess to even out the weight on front and back) but this makes my wrists hurt. I have gone onto a road/racing bike and the problem has gone.

If buying second hand, buy from someone who seems to know what they are doing and check that they are the same size as you.

On upgrading - I think it is much too expensive to upgrade components, just save up and buy a better bike if you feel you need to.

cyclebum

Over The Hill said:
On the bike size thing I have a question...
If you think of a rider as a triangle saddle-bars saddle-pedal pedal-bars, bikes are sized by the saddle-pedal distance, but it is that distance which is most easy to change by adjusting the saddle. The other two distances are fairly well set or have much less room to move. So why are bikes not sized by the distance from the stem to the handle bars? It would seem to make more sense!

I think it is more down to the type of bike too. I found my mountain bike tips me forward (I guess to even out the weight on front and back) but this makes my wrists hurt. I have gone onto a road/racing bike and the problem has gone.

Iquote]

I would agree, I rode the bigger bike at the same seat height, but I was told it was actually the distance from seat to handle bars that was bigger, and it was a lot more comfortable. xx(

As far as the wrist problem is concerned, I had the same problem till my gears/brakes were adjusted and brought closer together and so changing the angle of my wrists, never had the problem since. As for my bike in India, I couldn't make this alteration but I was able to hire bar extensions that angle upwards (not sure of their technical name ;)), with small adjustments to the angle, by the end of the first day I had it just right and found it very comfortable to use, and with no wrist pain. It may be worth trying. :ohmy::smile:

OP
OP
J

James Mc

Hi Guys!

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I'm going to do a bit of proper investigating over the weekend. There's an Evans not too far away from me so figured I'd give them a whirl. Anyone had any experience with Evans before?

Cheers

James

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Welcome James, my recommendation for essential kit is a decent set of lights, not the most exciting but useful for staying alive. Get the brightest you can afford, bright lights can may you more visible in day light than Hi-viz... they are also handy at night;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hairy Jock said:
my recommendation for essential kit is a decent set of lights,
If you are cycling in town, then you don't need to spend a huge fortune to get reasonable lights to be SEEN (rather than to see by).

The Smart Superflash for the rear light is around £12 and is recommended by many. I recently bought Evolution Nano 9 for about £12 for my kids, and it has a really strong flash mode, and is strong enough to see the ground at the below 15 mph when on constant. (Never been in the dark dark going more than that to comment above that speed:biggrin:).

Then you can always upgrade the lights later on to super expensive ones ... apart from anything they are always upgrading so by next winter there will be new ones out. And then these lights can be your backup lights.

OP
OP
J

James Mc

Thanks for your useful replies folks.

Anyone have an opinion/any experience with Marin bikes? I've been doing a bit of research and the Marin Miurwoods seems to offer everything I need.

Cheers

James

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
James Mc said:
Thanks for your useful replies folks.

Anyone have an opinion/any experience with Marin bikes? I've been doing a bit of research and the Marin Miurwoods seems to offer everything I need.

Cheers

James

I thought of buying a Marin, but then after trying a large number of other bikes I bought something else. It is a very personal choice, but when fine the right bike for you, you know it as soon as you ride it. Don't know if that helps any:wacko:

OP
OP
J

James Mc

Hairy Jock said:
I thought of buying a Marin, but then after trying a large number of other bikes I bought something else. It is a very personal choice, but when fine the right bike for you, you know it as soon as you ride it. Don't know if that helps any:wacko:

Cheers - I guess it's a bit like buying a pair of shoes! I like the look of the Marins - they look a bit 'chunkier'.

Didn't realise there was so much choice and variation out there.

Top Bottom