Newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shinamo

1) punctures when was the last time you done one . repair kit tools , lights .
2) diet give it some thought , you'll eat like a pig , you know what it's like when packing 'em in .
3) tourer comfortable tourer .
4) health shop- herbal cigs or herbal tobacco ( cheating but eh. worth it )
5) not in whenever but tomorrow .
6) bag rear and rack of course for lots of water and grub something light but mars bar stuff , don't forget it . you know those palputations frightening .
7) wet gear - poncho some nice ones on amazon , and overtrousers .
8) Plan a holiday weekend 40 / 50 miler . well worth it when you have achieved .
9) you can do it !
10 ) you'll probably get the wrong bike or kit so buy lower end until you understand the terminology and what's on offer , I made mistakes , still am .
Fantastic though when you are doing a run and not thinking about going home to that cig .

jmaccyd

You have made the right choice! My tranfer to cycling happened when I started to cycle to the GYM and realised that I was enjoying the cycling more than I was the weights. One of my regular sayings, on returning back from a summer ride with my team mates, is 'just think loads of people have spent this morning in the GYM' One piece of advice, take a good look round your local cycling clubs, pick one that has a range of activites and seems interesting to you and join up!

OP
OP
J

James Mc

This is turning into a real can of worms! Every day I sway from wanting a mountain bike to wanting some sort of hybrid bike! Decisions decisions hey!

Does anyone live in the Bedfordshire area? Know oy any good routes either on or off road?

Cheers

James:biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I've just remembered that Edinburgh Cycles does an excellently priced tourer (can't remember how much but it is significantly cheaper than the comptetition) which would probably be perfect for somebody in your position.

Can't remember the proper name of the firm Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative or similar. They're bound to be in the internet.

simonali

Guru
James Mc said:
Thanks for your useful replies folks.

Anyone have an opinion/any experience with Marin bikes? I've been doing a bit of research and the Marin Miurwoods seems to offer everything I need.

Cheers

James

Yes, me!!

I have 2 Marins, 1 from 1993 and 1 bought this year. I have the Novato and it's a great bike.

image210qo5.jpg

The old one doesn't look as nice, but is still going strong after many thousands of miles, on and off road. Get one! ;)

OP
OP
J

James Mc

Thanks for all your helpful replies folks. I'm going out this weekend to visit a couple of LBSs. I'll give a few different styles and makes a go, mull it over for a week then, hopefully, take the plunge the following weekend.

Is anyone based in the Luton/Bedfordshire area? I'd be interested to know of any local routes (on or off road).

Cheers

James

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Hairy Jock said:
The Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op, the road and touring bike are here, their own brand is called Revolution, but I don't know which one Andy in Sig has in mind.

The Country Traveller was the one I was thinking of. It looks like a snip at 400 quid. Mind you that upgraded version with the disc brakes really does look the business.

cyclebum

shinamo said:
1) 4) health shop- herbal cigs or herbal tobacco ( cheating but eh. worth it )

Shock horror :angry::ohmy::ohmy:
I do hope you are not serious with this one!
ANYTHING inhaled will contain tar and therefore still able to do damage to your body and impair the lungs. Menthol are the worst as they open the tubes and allow all the baddies in the smoke to get deeper into the lungs.
If you are giving up smoking for your health there is no alternative other than fresh air I'm afraid, if you need a drag on anything try an NRT inhalalator.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
simonali said:
Yes, me!!

I have 2 Marins, 1 from 1993 and 1 bought this year. I have the Novato and it's a great bike.

image210qo5.jpg

The old one doesn't look as nice, but is still going strong after many thousands of miles, on and off road. Get one! ;)

That's a mean looking urban machine - hmm me likey for the commute....but mudguards would spoil it - bugger....!! Stealthy :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
James Mc said:
This is turning into a real can of worms! Every day I sway from wanting a mountain bike to wanting some sort of hybrid bike! Decisions decisions hey!

Does anyone live in the Bedfordshire area? Know oy any good routes either on or off road?

Cheers

James:biggrin:

Hi James
Welcome to cycle-madness.

Being in Bedfordshire, I assume you've visited Byercycles?
http://www.byercycles.co.uk/

Certainly their own brand 'Aravis' bikes are based on good frames and the shop seems Audax/Touring biased. Heard good, but never a bad word about them or their service. The Tifosi stuff is also OK too.
They may be able to help you with cycle routes in Bedfordshire. I lived there for 6 years...my advice...find another county :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

James Mc

Fab Foodie said:
Hi James
Welcome to cycle-madness.

Being in Bedfordshire, I assume you've visited Byercycles?
http://www.byercycles.co.uk/

Certainly their own brand 'Aravis' bikes are based on good frames and the shop seems Audax/Touring biased. Heard good, but never a bad word about them or their service. The Tifosi stuff is also OK too.
They may be able to help you with cycle routes in Bedfordshire. I lived there for 6 years...my advice...find another county :smile:

Thanks! I've not heard of them but I'll have a look. I found a place called Route 51 in Millbrook that seems like a pretty good set up.

I'm more South Beds and there's some decent routes for beginners. There seems like a few going into Herts too.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
James Mc said:
Thanks! I've not heard of them but I'll have a look. I found a place called Route 51 in Millbrook that seems like a pretty good set up.

I'm more South Beds and there's some decent routes for beginners. There seems like a few going into Herts too.

Any use?
http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/sitepage.php?id=6

Try also the MTB/Singletrack forums. Not my area of expertise really being 99% roadie!

Top Bottom