Newby, novice with toe overlap!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helenb

Hello all

Nice to virtually meet you all.

Im new to cycling and love it. I got my dream bike today, but have toe overlap, will hopefully get used to it though as love the bike. I've read a couple of forums on here about it and it seems quite common.

Have a good rest of your weekends

Helen

to be honest it only really becomes a problem with low speed turns but you soon get used to it

OP
OP
Helenb

Helenb

:welcome:
If you're using flat pedals as opposed to being clipped in, what part of your foot is over the centre of the pedal?
Probably a bit too much, the pad of my foot and toes. Been put on the bike today and getting used to having to position foot during a sharp turn.

OP
OP
Helenb

Helenb

Thanks folks. I've been out today and yes you don't really turn sharply whilst riding unless going through a gate etc. Think I just need to get used to it!

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I wondered if there was something I was doing wrong, have always had this- glad to hear that it's not a big issue. I only notice it when turning slowly anyway.

Good morning,

The only other time is when you go up a very steep hill very slowly.

You may be wobbling all over the road and have the handlebars turned to the left for example and get your right foot caught on the left side of the front wheel as you try and straighten the bars up.

You then fall off. :-)

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks folks. I've been out today and yes you don't really turn sharply whilst riding unless going through a gate etc. Think I just need to get used to it!
Welcome to the forum Helenb.
Toe overlap often occurs with some smaller framed bikes, but with large size wheels and tyres, ie 700c. But with a little practice you won't notice it and it shouldn't be a problem.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Found this while searching for same problem. I have a small Merlin gravel bike with mudguards and have serious toe overlap. Fine on the roads, but I tackled a new cycle path a couple of days ago that they have made some 90 degree turns on, that are also on a hill so you can't stop pedalling coming up obviously. Almost came off a couple of times. I suspect such serious situations might require a get off and walk approach! :laugh:

Top Bottom