Newcastle to London in 26 Hours!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I will be cycling from Newcastle to London on Saturday 6th - Sunday 7th October, to raise money for charity. I have made a provisional route but would greatly appreciate feedback from people local to the route, as I have never cycled north of London before! Please let me know if you think that a road I have chosen is unsuitable for cyclists due to traffic/hills/road width etc.

Here is our route;

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214070746975121189631.0004c775064e1f7bae61b&msa=0

It is just myself and my boyfriend completing this 300+ mile journey and we would love some company along the way, so if the route does come near you please get in contact with us to find out what time we are due to pass your home turf!!

You can find out more about our cycle and why we are doing it at

http://www.newcastle-to-london-cycle.com/

We are very much beginners, so any advice about training/food/navigation/kit you may have that will help us would be fab too!!

Many thanks,

Chanelle

pkeenan

Über Member
Sounds quite a challenge! Good luck in raising money and awareness for your cause.
I'm tempted to join you for the Durham - York leg, though not yet sure what I'll be doing on that day. Will see!

In any case, very best of luck to you!

John_c

Well the very best of luck with you challenge, I do hope your already in training? I know the roads well from Great Smeaton to Coxhoe, nothing too demanding, but then I'm usually doing them on a 30-80mile ride. I'd love to join you on the 7th, but I'll be other wise engaged with helping out at the Marie Curie Etape

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs, but I've cycled from London to York quite a few times, and twice this year - the first as a recce for a group ride, and the second leading a ride of fifty or so. So.........this is the way I'd do it, and save thirtyfive miles.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...sp=12&sz=11&via=1,2,3,5,6,7,10,12,13&t=m&z=11

I'll gladly come out and meet you thirty miles from London and accompany you back in - whichever way you want to do it. There's a couple of people on this forum who come in to London from the north quite frequently. Again.........not wishing to teach my granny............wouldn't London to Newcastle be a better bet? Riding in to London is tough, and (accepting you are super fit) you'll be a bit frazzled. And then there's the prevailing wind....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Again.........not wishing to teach my granny............wouldn't London to Newcastle be a better bet? Riding in to London is tough, and (accepting you are super fit) you'll be a bit frazzled. And then there's the prevailing wind....

Their chosen direction is because it starts at the university attended by their late friend and ends at their late friend's parents.

They could of course arrange the relocation of both the university and the home but it's probably easier to be just that bit fitter to take on the headwind. :thumbsup:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Their chosen direction is because it starts at the university attended by their late friend and ends at their late friend's parents.

They could of course arrange the relocation of both the university and the home but it's probably easier to be just that bit fitter to take on the headwind. :thumbsup:
fair dos! Anyroadup - anyroadup - I'm up for the London end.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Alternatively, take a look at the LEL route, which goes at least some of the way, is designed to be easy to navigate and avoids the silliest of the main roads - which, depending on arrival time in London, might be a good idea after a long, long ride.

OP
OP
Chanelle Weller
Thanks for that route between London to York, shaving 35 miles of the route sounds very tempting!!! I'll see if I can intergrate your route with mine at the weekend!

Sadly we cannot reverse the route as his friend and family would love to join us for the last leg, and his parents are very excited about finishing at their house. Also, we will probably really need to motivation at the end, and we don't have any friends to cheer us on in Newcastle! Plus we both have work Monday morning, in London, ahh!

It's great that some of you might be able to join us. Once we've got the route finalised we will calculate rough times that we should be passing through our check-points, so that you know when and were to join us. All we know so far is that we are leaving Newcastle around 5-6am on the Saturday and need to be at our final checkpoint, to meet our London friends at 5pm Sunday. The 26hours of cycling is excluding rest and sleep time! Not that we'll have time for much of that though!

Morning Chanelle & Dan...hope you are feeling ok after yesterday's initiation ceremony with the tarmac! :smile: When we spoke about your ride yesterday and you mentioned that "someone had suggested a route that shaved 35 miles off etc.." we didn't realise that it was from 'The Prince of Rides'. dellzeqq knows and would be a good companion on any ride.
(You'll probably be getting ready for this morning's 09:30 meet at Wellington Arch, non? :rolleyes:)
He leads rides of which we spoke: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/friday-night-ride-to-the-coast-felpham-31st-august.108441/
(this one is closed) and Ianrauk &Co. usually return to London after hoovering up some sustenance at breakfast time.
Good luck!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Good to meet you yesterday, however briefly, and sooo sorry for not warning you about the sharp right-hander.

Alternatively, take a look at the LEL route, which goes at least some of the way, is designed to be easy to navigate and avoids the silliest of the main roads - which, depending on arrival time in London, might be a good idea after a long, long ride.

The (provisional) GPX tracks for that are available here.

OP
OP
Chanelle Weller
Morning Chanelle & Dan...hope you are feeling ok after yesterday's initiation ceremony with the tarmac! :smile: When we spoke about your ride yesterday and you mentioned that "someone had suggested a route that shaved 35 miles off etc.." we didn't realise that it was from 'The Prince of Rides'. dellzeqq knows and would be a good companion on any ride.
(You'll probably be getting ready for this morning's 09:30 meet at Wellington Arch, non? :rolleyes:)
He leads rides of which we spoke: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/friday-night-ride-to-the-coast-felpham-31st-august.108441/
(this one is closed) and Ianrauk &Co. usually return to London after hoovering up some sustenance at breakfast time.
Good luck!

Thanks for looking after me Martin! Although we didn't make Sunday mornings ride I'm sure we will be on another ride very soon! Just got to wait for my elbow to heal a little! See you again soon!

OP
OP
Chanelle Weller
Hey, so our cycle is this weekend coming!!! I just wanted to thank people for their helpful advice and recommendations. Here is the link to our final route http://goo.gl/maps/eLI9p. If we are coming past anybody's home please think seriously about joining us for a little section; we are going to need all the moral support we can get and 'fresh meat' will really help us keep the pace up!!

If you're interested please do get in contact. Thanks

http://www.newcastle-to-london-cycle.com/

Top Bottom