Newhaven/ Dieppe to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnneW

Über Member
Hi Julie. We cycled from London to Paris in June (over 5 days) using the Donald Hirsch info for a good part of it. Then we went to the Michelin map, but I confess that I just followed my friends and didn't get involved in the map reading but if you want the info, I'll find out what I can for you about the bits near Paris.

snorri

Legendary Member
Est-ce que vous parlez francais?
Does it matter? Communication will be difficult anyway:sad:
If you wish to visit Paris leave the bike at home and take the train right in to the centre. If you wish to enjoy a cycle trip to a city in mainland Europe, pick somewhere other than Paris as a destination.:thumbsup:

StuartG

slower but further
If you wish to visit Paris leave the bike at home and take the train right in to the centre. If you wish to enjoy a cycle trip to a city in mainland Europe, pick somewhere other than Paris as a destination.:thumbsup:
Wot missing a circuit of the Arc de Triomphe? It takes about two junctions before you realise its not the people trying to exit who will kill you - but those entering with priorite a droite. An unforgettable experience if you are lucky to live and remember. Wear your brown shorts with pride ...

stf_61.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
I don't see the point of cycling around the l'Arc de Triomphe. It's a very busy junction. There are enough collisions involving vehicles let alone putting your own life at risk by cycling onto it. Would you cycle around Marble Arch or the infamous junction at Borough that has claimed the lives of several cyclists just for the fun of it?

Crankarm

Guru

It will be that much 'arder eef u dont speek en ee Frensch.

snorri

Legendary Member
Done it, but I try to ensure my unforgettable experiences will be pleasurable.:thumbsup:
If circuits are your thing then do the Keizer Karelplein in Nijmegen, it was such fun I went round three times.:biggrin:

StuartG

slower but further
I don't see the point of cycling around the l'Arc de Triomphe. It's a very busy junction. There are enough collisions involving vehicles let alone putting your own life at risk by cycling onto it. Would you cycle around Marble Arch or the infamous junction at Borough that has claimed the lives of several cyclists just for the fun of it?
The point was to get to the other side. Just as I cycled from London Bridge through Borough and the Elephant last Saturday because Southern were not taking bikes.

You seem to be making a habit of jumping to wrong conclusions tonight ...

I haven't done this, but am thinking about it.

It looks to me like cycle friendly hotels are scarce in Paris, so I would just arrange to send my cycle as registered baggage on Eurostar http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/bicycles.jsp. So, arrive in Paris, dump the bike at Gare du Nord then go to your hotel, shower and enjoy and afternoon/evening in Paris and your bike should be ready to meet you at St Pancras the next day.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Are you still considering going through Amiens? If so, I may be able to help you route planning in that area as I'm a local. As someone already pointed out, getting into Paris through the Ile de France will never be easy - but if you have a steady nerve and a sense of humour it shouldn't be too bad.

Rymo

I did Brighton to Paris in April, went Dover-Calais-Paris then came back to Dieppe.
Ended up taking a horribly straight busy'ish road that just heads straight to dieppe basically from the outskirts of Paris, fine if you just want to get to a ferry, did find a lovely barn to put the tent up in, sleeping on a bed of hay is nice!

rob1987s

Me and a group of upto 6 mates are cycling Paris to London via dieppe in April, we are getting cheap flights to Paris spending the night there, then starting the next day aiming to do about 60-65 miles before stopping for the night, trying to do it as cheap as possible, any suggestions?

Top Bottom