Newhaven/ Dieppe to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Are you still considering going through Amiens? If so, I may be able to help you route planning in that area as I'm a local. As someone already pointed out, getting into Paris through the Ile de France will never be easy - but if you have a steady nerve and a sense of humour it shouldn't be too bad.

Sorry - you must have been wondering what I was going on about! I'd just read another post about cycling to Paris and I got yours confused - you don't mention going to Amiens!

Me and a group of upto 6 mates are cycling Paris to London via dieppe in April, we are getting cheap flights to Paris spending the night there, then starting the next day aiming to do about 60-65 miles before stopping for the night, trying to do it as cheap as possible, any suggestions?

When you say cheap flight, I guess that means Beauvais. There is a fairly nice route into Paris from there. I don't cycle in Paris that often, but I can get you nearly there from Beauvais along a pleasant route. It's not the most direct, and there are a couple of hills, but it's certainly prettier than heading straight south:

AnneW

Über Member
Hi Julie -sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. Not managed to get the proper info from my mate yet, but for now, this is the route we took with hotel names. All the hotels we stayed at except one were great with the bikes. I've not listed the one that wasn't.

We stayed in London the night before we set off and were planning on staying in Greenwich (near our friends son). The Premier Inn there was really bike friendly. If you phone the hotel directly they will tell you where you can leave the bikes (meetng rooms, left lugage that kind of area).

First day ended in East Grinstead. Nice B&B but didn't have anywhere for bikes (although we had asked at booking) and thought we should lock them to the railings in the park at the back. We took them into our rooms though I don't think the staff were happy.

East Grinstead to Newhaven. Premier Inn there is great for bikes, they gave us ground floor rooms and were really helpful.

We got the 10.30 ferry in the morning, arriving in Dieppe at 3 in the afternoon. If we did it again we'd stay in Dieppe and set off cycling the next day. Insead we had to cycle quickly down the Avenue Verte in order to reach (and find!) our B&B. Shame as it's a beautiful area and we all wished we'd see more of it.

Forges Les Eaux, stayed at Chambres d'Hotes et Roulottes Le Clos de Quesnay. Fabulous family run place, sadly we were too late for dinner but the other residents were effusive in their praise about the food. If breakfast was anything to go by I bet it was amazing.

Next stop, Neuville Bosc. The hotel we stayed at was in Monts, a little difficult to find, even with gps but it was worth it. Le Clos de Vignes is a gem, great rooms and a swimming pool. The food was exceptional.

Next stop Saint Germain en Laye on the outskirts of Paris. We stayed at the Residence Le Chateau du Val. This is the home of the Legion D'Honneur; as there are no longer enough people with the award, part of the Chateau has been opened as a hotel. The rooms have a view of Paris in the distance. We were blown away by this place. The receptionist speaks perfect English and ordered us a taxi, chose us a restaurant and generally looked after us really well.

Paris is only about 18 miles away but, if you try to find the quiet route as we did, it's easy to get lost. When my mate finally gets me the proper details I'm hoping to be able to locate the hill that took us down to the banks of the Seine - an amazing way to arrive at the river!

We did as jefmcg suggested and sent our bikes back to London as soon as we reached Paris. It was around £25-30 per bike and well worth the money. We got the Eurostar back and picked up the bikes without a problem.

Our Paris hotel waas OK and if you want the details I can send them on to you but all hotels in Paris are pretty much the same if you're on a budget.

This is just an overvew to give you an idea of the general route we took. If you need anything more let me know.

OP
OP
J

Julie Clark

I haven't done this, but am thinking about it.

It looks to me like cycle friendly hotels are scarce in Paris, so I would just arrange to send my cycle as registered baggage on Eurostar http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/travel_information/at_the_station/bicycles.jsp. So, arrive in Paris, dump the bike at Gare du Nord then go to your hotel, shower and enjoy and afternoon/evening in Paris and your bike should be ready to meet you at St Pancras the next day.

Thank you, really useful!!

If you want somewhere to stay near Dieppe, I'd like to recommend a B&B we stayed at in 2008 (when on a driving holiday). It was just the most lovely place, a chateau previously owned by a Russian chess master with a wonderful host and hostess. I went for an early morning walk and stumbled onto the Avenue Verte. When I got back, the host and I discussed what animals I had seen with the aid of a French/English dictionary. The hostess speaks excellent English.

http://www.lachatellenie.com/index_eng.htm (I think we must have stayed in Le Roi).

You definitely would not be taking your cycles into the Chateau, but they would be safe anywhere on the property.

At the time, motorway junction Ibis rooms cost 60€, while this was 70€ B&B. Prices have increased, I see.

I've really been looking for an excuse to return there. To say nothing of the camembert, cidre and galettes

I'd avoid the avenue verte. It's slow and you'll get a sore arse.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fnrtc-to-newhaven-dieppe-and-paris.94346/ although the drinking exploits aren't for everyone.

If you do a search on chambres d'hote in Saint-Saens you won't go wrong - but you will need to book ahead
It is a good ride - traffic or not...it gets you into Paris! If you want clean and somewhere to put your bike etc, and don't need frilly pillowcases but a hot shower and a pillow with cleanliness, then Etap / Ibis are good ports of call. The FNR hardy (re: dellzeqq's link above) bash into Paris from Dieppe to the Etap at Avenue Jean-Jaures - which is near Gare du Nord and has a lot of space for bikes downstairs - if they don't put it in a side room. Take a lock, as usual. Cyclepaths across Paris abound - and they often help. Trouble is learning where to get on and off them. Best go for a beer or two and watch...:rolleyes: StuartG's advice is also sound.

Top Bottom