News just in...... Team Skol winners! Hooray, proudest dad in the world.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Please ignore me if I start to waffle, I haven't slept in nearly 24hrs and after a 12hr night shift I stayed up to take my kids to take part in a cyclocross race.

www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/106358/Go-Ride-Racing-at-Dowson-Primary-School

It was a wet miserable morning and the field was a soggy patch that quickly turned into a quagmire. The free to enter event started at 10am and the kids were split into age groups. My youngest son was in the under 8s and older son was slap, bang in the middle of the 10-12 bracket having turned 11 in January.
The format was to do a few warm-up laps then into the time trial. Both sons did brilliantly with a 1st and a 2nd in their individual splits. The main event was a single lap mass start by age group. Youngest Son came home with a second place after trying hard to hang onto the back wheel of a slightly bigger, stronger child. Oldest son amazed me in his race. He took the lead off the start and after a quarter of a lap he was a good 30ft ahead and held that advantage for the full 2 laps to cross the line with a clear victory and to frantic shouts from me to 'take it easy, don't fall off now!" :whistle:

I couldn't possibly be prouder of both boys. I knew they were strong riders as we get lots of practice but it's good to put them up against their peers and see them do so well (didn't think my oldest son could really be bothered to make enough effort to win!). Anyway, they have come away with medals, event T-shirts and a huge boost to their confidence/egos :becool:

Baby Skol (furthest from the camera) on the start line for his race and not looking like he is paying attention, with the (much) bigger kid that beat him closest to the camera.
upload_2014-2-9_14-11-23.png

Funny how it was the under 8s and Baby Skol is 8 years old in 1 month so I wonder when the bigger kids 8th birthday is? :whistle:
upload_2014-2-9_14-13-37.png

Oldest Skol Jnr in the lead and staying there.....
upload_2014-2-9_14-6-31.png

And here he is crossing the line to start his second lap on the way to VICTORY (I didn't shout much :laugh:)
upload_2014-2-9_14-16-54.png

And looking V.cool in the process......
upload_2014-2-9_14-19-8.png

Last edited:

ScotiaLass

Guru
:bravo::bravo:
Well done to both your boys....you must be so proud!!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I think I may already have said that several times and quite loudly to anyone that will listen (and also those that won't!), but yes I am :thumbsup:

This is their second ever race, they did the same event about 2 yrs ago when Baby Skol was the youngest rider there.

Well done and congratulations to the kids and a very proud dad.

400bhp

Guru
Looking forward to the day they leave Papa Skol for dead along the TPT:popcorn:

What's the youngest age you can get kids into this stuff? I must ask this on another thread. Mine is 5 and I'd like to get her involved in stuff.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Brill. Top stuff Skolly JRs.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hope the bikes are now spotless?
Of course! They get the glory and I get the hosepipe out......
Looking forward to the day they leave Papa Skol for dead along the TPT:popcorn:
It'll never happen, I'm still super dad in their eyes and plan to be for a long, long time! :boxing:
What's the youngest age you can get kids into this stuff? I must ask this on another thread. Mine is 5 and I'd like to get her involved in stuff.
My youngest did this event I think in Nov 2011 so would have been around 5¾. The BC team are very enthusiastic and accommodating and I'm sure you would have fitted right in if you had turned up today. I think today's event was more of a promotional event but I'm pretty sure the organising club (Mossley CRT?) and BC do run a series through the year that follows on from todays event?
Brill. Top stuff Skolly JRs.
As I watched them race I just kept wishing I had participated in that race you did at Clayton Vale recently (I can do that! :whistle:)
Good stuff. Both your lads can't half ride well.
I know they are competent because we do lots of varied types of riding, but today they proved they are good. I can see me having a long and fruitful career as the Team Skol support crew in years to come! :wahhey:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Im still super dad in their eyes and plan to be for a long, long time! :boxing:
Someone in my group said recently - rather wistfully - that his grandkids used to boast about their grandad being the fastest cyclist in the world. Then it was "after Wiggo". Now "and Chris Frome" has been tacked onto the end. Kids - they keep you honest :thumbsup:

Top Bottom