Newspapers for descents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
Not so long ago I remember spectators offering newspapers to riders in the TdF prior to a descent. The riders used to stuff them up the front of their jerseys to block the wind and keep warm. I haven't seen this practice this year; has it stopped altogether?

Brads

Gilets

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you mean gilets (padded waistcoats), I didn't see anyone putting on one of those either.

Not all gilets are padded. A gilet is purely a sleeveless jacket aka vest.

DRM

Guru
Not so long ago I remember spectators offering newspapers to riders in the TdF prior to a descent. The riders used to stuff them up the front of their jerseys to block the wind and keep warm. I haven't seen this practice this year; has it stopped altogether?
I think it’s been too hot for newspapers down your shirt, so hot the riders have urine colour charts to see how dehydrated they are, as well as before & after weighing each day

Brads

I have no idea what you mean. A sentence might prove useful in an answer.

Excuse my typo. But really, you had no idea I meant that they use gilets as opposed to stuffing newspapers up their jumpers.?

I know I included an extra L but you didn`t know what a gilet was, or had no idea what they did with them.?

Genuinely interested.

Top Bottom