Newspapers for descents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
Excuse my typo. But really, you had no idea I meant that they use gilets as opposed to stuffing newspapers up their jumpers.?

I know I included an extra L but you didn`t know what a gilet was, or had no idea what they did with them.?

Genuinely interested.
I guessed that you probably meant 'gilets' and I knew what one was. I've never seen a cyclist wearing one and couldn't, and still can't, imagine anyone handing them out on a summit.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
They are harder now. Newspaper is for whimps.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
No, it hasn't stopped. There are two key factors which determined the lack of need for newspapers in this year's Tour.

Firstly, there were no cool days during the race, even in the mountains. Secondly, the highest altitude they had to descend from was about 2,100m.

If they'd had to descend from higher cols like the Galibier, Iseran, Bonette or Agnel (i.e. in the 2,600m to 2,800m altitude range), or even the Izoard, and if the valley temperatures had been 20C instead of 25-35C, they would have been grabbing newspapers as before.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I guessed that you probably meant 'gilets' and I knew what one was. I've never seen a cyclist wearing one ...
The padded type, perhaps not, but the lightweight windproof type - you must be joking! They are incredibly popular and useful. I see riders wearing them nearly every time I go out on my bike.

I wear one on any ride below 18-20 degrees. Example:

ColinJ at Minehead harbour.jpg

Top Bottom