Next CC Ecosse Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

The Logie Kirk road is a vastly improved surface now to a few years back and makes the climb better - used to get wheelslip on it. It's a hard climb no doubt. The climb rears up again very steeply once you turn right (at the end of the blog). I'm surprised they finished there and not the car park further up. The end of the actual climb is after the Sheriffmuir Inn some miles up the road. The stats are 4.6 miles of climb at avg gradient of 4.8%. The hairpin section must be 25% to 30%.

The easiest of the Sheriffmuir climbs is from Blackford. Long and steady. A loop i sometimes do from Dollar similat ro Tugs except i cut off the Auchterarder/Braco Rd and go into Blackford. Just before the road joins the A9 (at the Baxters shop) you can turn right and follow the old A9, now a farmers access. After a short distance you reach the Sheriffmuir road and can easily dismount and cross the dual carriageway. I then come down to Logie Kirk and back up the A91. There's also the option of the Blairlogie farm shop for a cake stop.

Unfortunately, Stirling to Dollar either involves either the A91, which can be pretty busy (you can divert at Menstrie and come back on exiting Alva) or you take the B road from Menstrie to Glenochil, Fishcross, Coalsnaughton which can be busy as well (also hillier)

Dunblane or Stirling as a start point are probably best for rail users. You could head West toward Doune/Callander and loop back. There's a wee climb in Doune, Doune Hill funnily enough! (closed road) used for motorsport hillclimbs.It's about a mile long on a very good surface. Or a loop involving Braco, Comrie, Auchterarder. Finish in Stirling at Corrieries. Lots of options.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Thanks seamab i knew you would have a few suggestions...

I was just putting the route up as a option, the roads from gleneagles back to dunblane are very good roads for cycling and it would be good to set up a CC ride along them..

Corrieries is a must and am sure dollar has a few wee cafe stops we could also try

it`s maybe the wrong time of year to start talking about a CC ride but the roue is always there for us to try

tug benson

A day round Loch Katrine would be good also :thumbsup:

Again i would think it would be better if we do it when all the ice has melted, i know that the dukes pass was closed there for a few days because the couldn`t clear the roads

still its a cracking cycle, i`ve only done it once, i want to do it again

tug benson

Right for the people that fancy doing the hills around stirling i`ve done a nice wee ride...again it can be tweaked if people know better roads and it would maybe be better in the spring/summer, it`s a route we can always go back to...this is one of the routes am going to use as a traing route for my sportives

Distance
105.95 kms

Ascent 1144 meters
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=484807

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Right for the people that fancy doing the hills around stirling i`ve done a nice wee ride...again it can be tweaked if people know better roads and it would maybe be better in the spring/summer, it`s a route we can always go back to...this is one of the routes am going to use as a traing route for my sportives

Distance
105.95 kms

Ascent 1144 meters
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=484807

That looks a good one :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
that looks like a 48 x 16 gear job :becool:

You coming along on the next ride? :bicycle: