Next Road Bike - Advice Welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclone1

Hi All, this is my first post in this forum, which so far has been a great source of information and advice.

I currently ride a Cube Peloton Race (bought this time last year) and am looking to upgrade. I mainly do 10-20-30 miles rides during the week and occasionally the odd 50. I like the way my Peloton rides but as it is my first road bike in 15 years had nothing to compare with.

My natural inclination is to go for a Cube Agree GTC Pro, practically the same spec (105) as my Peloton, but with a carbon frame. However, the curve ball is that a friend recommended Dolan as an alternatively, specifically the L'Etape model. He raves about his, but as he is 150 miles away I've not seen it in the flesh. I can spec a L'Etape with SRAM Rival (tried and am fine with it) and Ksyrium Elite S wheels for the same price as the Agree. It is likely to be a touch lighter and would have significantly superior wheels (Agree has Fulcrum 77's).

So it's a dilemma and would appreciate some advice before pulling the trigger. In the meantime I am happy riding the Peloton before putting it up for sale.

Thanks
Jules

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Cheers Doodah I am sure you're right.

I tried a Defy last year when I bought the Peloton, it was fine but I preferred the Peloton. At the time it was the Madone 2.1 that was the rival.

My only reservation with Dolan is that it will be unseen and tried, the Guys at Dolan have been great with me reference sizing dimensions (based on my size and fit on the Peloton), as well as best spec to go for for my budget (£1400).

It's a tough one.....

Jules

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Nick, the simple answer is to see if I can go faster / further. I know that spending more doesn't always mean you receive a "better" bike and also comfort and fit are important.

Cuchilo, I do like the look of the TCR but haven't really considered it. Maybe I should.

My problem is that I was pretty much struck on the Agree as the replacement, but have been swayed by the Dolan.

I called my LBS today and he has mentioned trying out a Felt F5 :wacko:. He's been good and thinks I should go for the Agree.

Jules

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

I would take a F5 over a TCR if the objective is to go faster IMHO. It's a better frameset
Thanks. in your opinion is the F5 also superior to the Agree GTC Pro and Dolan L'Etape?

Big Nick

Nick, the simple answer is to see if I can go faster / further. I know that spending more doesn't always mean you receive a "better" bike and also comfort and fit are important.
Jules

Jules, I don't think you'll save much in weight comparing the bikes you mention to what you have but the carbon frame may give a bit more comfort. I looked at the Cube bikes which are great value for money but found the geometry a bit more race style than other sportive type bikes for a bloke thats nearer 50 than 40 such as myself!

I've recently test rode a Defy which also didn't 'fit' even though it's renowned as a comfortable bike by many riders.
A bike I did find very comfortable was the Cannondale Synapse but its pricey at £1600 but I plumbed in the end for a Bianchi Vertigo as it just fit perfectly and I found a new 2013 (which has better spec than the 2014) on offer for £1200 in my exact frame size only!

If you're just wanting to ride further with more comfort definitely look at bikes with 'relaxed' geometries

It's really important to test ride a bike before you buy I've found with the Defy issue above being a prime example of why

I bought a 2013 Cube Agree and I find the geometry relaxed rather than racy. However, Cube do have odd sizes and there is quite a jump between sizes. For example, I normally ride a 53cm frame (Boardman), so I tried both the 53 and the 56cm in the Cube. To be honest the 53cm flt too cramped for me (more like a 51cm) but the 56cm is a perfect fit. Others may prefer the 53cm sizing, so as @Big Nick says, it is important to try for size. I am another who did not like the Defy geometry, but many do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cannondale Supersix a popular choice if wanting racy, Synapse is CyclingPlus BOTY . Agree = sporty Peloton I think

Top Bottom