Next Road Bike - Advice Welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Mrs Kes has just got a new Dolan frameset. Admittedly a Prefissio, but still a Dolan. It's well made, lovely paint job and rides perfectly. Dealing with Dolan was extremely pleasant and stress free.

I'd also look at Planet-X the RT-57, or RT-58 are some of the best specced bikes for the money, and ride incredibly well.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Great info Guys, really appreciate it.

On Bike geometry and set up I have a question;

My current bike is a Cube Peloton Race, it has the following dimensions (Dolan L'Etape in brackets);

Top Tube horizontal 58cm (59.5cm)
Stem length 11.5cm (can specify own length)
Seat Tube 58cm (56cm)
Seat Tube angle 73deg (72deg)
Head Tube angle 73deg (73.5deg)
Handlebar width 46cm (can specify own)

My dimensions (not 100% accurate but hopefully close);

Inside leg 35' (89cm)
Torso 28' (71cm)
Shoulders 46cm
Arm reach 63cm

I ride this bike 90% of the time crouched forward holding the bottom of the handle bars.

My leg extension based on seat height is 95% extended (approx).

When riding the bike in the above position / set up I can see past the end of the stem and if looking down can see the front hub, I've read that for the correct size and position the end of the stem should cover the hub from sight.

Based on the above dimensions, if I simply wanted to transfer my position from the Cube to the Dolan and ensure my reach is the same would I just detract 1.5cm from the stem length to compensate for the extra top tube length of the Dolan? So Dolan is 59.5cm top tube horizontal with 10cm stem (both then 69.5cm total length)

If I was to follow the rule of thumb for Stem length on my Cube, then based on me being able to see the hub, can it be said that I am riding too cramped up? The length of the stem should be 1.5cm approx longer? Or I should move the seat back 1.5cm?

On this basis would I be better specifying the Dolan with an 11.5cm stem so a total combined length of 71.5cm?

The only variable I am not sure of is the seat post, as the Cube one is straight and the Dolan appears to be angled back at the top where it meets the saddle?

Apologies if it is confusing, but want to get it theoretically as right as possible.

Cheers Jules.

I may just go and visit..........

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

I am in Nottingham so not close by as they are just north of Liverpool. I have emailed them the above comments so see what reply I get, pending this will visit. The visit will allow me to view the bike and importantly meet the people there in the flesh, which is always a good thing.

Jules

I am in Nottingham so not close by as they are just north of Liverpool. I have emailed them the above comments so see what reply I get, pending this will visit. The visit will allow me to view the bike and importantly meet the people there in the flesh, which is always a good thing.

Jules
Based on the dimensions you have given, I would say that your Cube is a more relaxed geometry than the Dolan. Also, the Cube Agree is simply the carbon version of the Peleton. If you want a racier version, you would be looking at the Litening.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have got to say, after looking at that Sintesi for the first time, I think it looks great. The spec is amazing for the money, in fact I don't think you would find a better spec. for that.
The photo on the web page shows Sram Red group & Ritchey Apex Carbon wheels but my bike is lower spec - Sram Force & Ritchey WCS Zeta (sold the wheels) still a b - a - utiful bike though.

Feel good just looking at it.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

^_^ Well I went to be measured for a bike at Dolan bikes, so am one step closer to deciding on my next bike.

Despite me trying to make a bike fit comparing the dimensions of my current bike to that of a new one, the easier way to do it is to physically try the new bike out for size.

I did this a couple of days ago and learned an awful lot. I visited Dolan bikes to be measured up on two of their models which have totally different geometries. So I now know which frame size to go for if I order and what each frame offers in the way of riding characteristics. The Guys there including Terry Dolan were fantastic, they showed me different frames sets to compare weight, likewise with wheel and groupsets which was very insightful! As I am incredibly indecisive I still couldn't make my mind up on which frame / spec to go for but hopefully will today.

The beauty is that once I have picked a bike they will build it and them do a final fit when I collect it.

Jules.

stevey

Guru
I too am looking at a Dolan unfortunately they are to far too visit.
Emailed them today with my specs and got a reply within 20 min very impressed .

Looking forward to your choice @Cyclone1

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Well since i am coming from a bike which has shimano 2300 gearing and 8 speed gearing anything is a big + in my book.

So was looking at this http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/roa...n/dolan-l-etape-carbon-road-bike-builder.html

But not sure which groupset campag,scram or shimano? So i am taking a trip to a bike shop tomorrow to have a play and feel
Great choice, that's the one I am looking at also but am struggling to decide which specification to go for. I am edging towards SRAM primarily on value for money and it being a lighter group set (when matched against comparable priced Campagnolo / Shimano), I've tried Rival and find it fine but only have Shimano 105 to compare it against. The Campagnolo is certainly the best looking of the trio in the flesh, looks classy and the Guys in the shop were complimentary of it. All 3 I guess are absolutely fine and at the level of riding I do would make no real difference, so I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Jules.

stevey

Guru
Well after my trip to lbs my decision is i am ordering this (Next week)

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/roa...n/dolan-l-etape-carbon-road-bike-builder.html

Full 105 carbon full carbon frame and fork.

Its just something different from the usual giants and specialized's around these parts

Personnaly for what you get and the price you ain't gonna get much better, and from my current bike it's gonna be like going from a fiesta to a ferrari...:smile:

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Well after my trip to lbs my decision is i am ordering this (Next week)

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/roa...n/dolan-l-etape-carbon-road-bike-builder.html

Full 105 carbon full carbon frame and fork.

Its just something different from the usual giants and specialized's around these parts

Personnaly for what you get and the price you ain't gonna get much better, and from my current bike it's gonna be like going from a fiesta to a ferrari...:smile:
Great choice!!

What were your thoughts on SRAM / Campag?

Top Bottom