Next Road Bike - Advice Welcome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevey

Guru
@Cyclone1 did you get out today?

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Looking forward to your feedback on the bike
Well after a hectic few days I managed to get out on the bike this evening....

First impressions are mixed. The ride was a tad uncomfortable (my fault as I need to spend a bit of time on adjusting the seat height and angle - took me a few rides on the Cube) and the SRAM groupset will take some getting used to.

However, onto the positives....

It's Quick! I have more control over it than the Cube. I felt I was going faster with less effort required. My Strava time for my regular route was easily a PB, and that's on a bike where I was uncomfortable and had never used SRAM in anger before.

I need to make a few adjustments as came back numb lol (just the seat angle hopefully but took me a few rides on the Cube to get it right and stop the numbness). Easily my best time over my regular circuit this year and that's despite easing off coming home due to the discomfort.

The Brakes need tweaking as not as sharp as the Cube and early impression of the SRAM gears is not as good as expected, may improve as I get used to them though. They also need repositioning. They are not as sturdy as the Shimano 105's on the Cube. Possibly also need to reposition them as my fingers when riding on the bottom of the the drop bars aren't aligned if that makes sense.

As it was my birthday this weekend I had a heavy weekend, eating out twice, very late Saturday night out and no ride for a while, so didn't expect much time wise, but the time was fast, the bike does feel really good in principal. So once fully adjusted it will definitely be the step up I expected.

I swapped the pedals tonight and with pedals off it weighed 7.3kgs.....at this price mark for an XL sized frame it's superb...

Will be out again tomorrow hopefully with adjustments made.

Jules

stevey

Guru
Well after a hectic few days I managed to get out on the bike this evening....

First impressions are mixed. The ride was a tad uncomfortable (my fault as I need to spend a bit of time on adjusting the seat height and angle - took me a few rides on the Cube) and the SRAM groupset will take some getting used to.

However, onto the positives....

It's Quick! I have more control over it than the Cube. I felt I was going faster with less effort required. My Strava time for my regular route was easily a PB, and that's on a bike where I was uncomfortable and had never used SRAM in anger before.

I need to make a few adjustments as came back numb lol (just the seat angle hopefully but took me a few rides on the Cube to get it right and stop the numbness). Easily my best time over my regular circuit this year and that's despite easing off coming home due to the discomfort.

The Brakes need tweaking as not as sharp as the Cube and early impression of the SRAM gears is not as good as expected, may improve as I get used to them though. They also need repositioning. They are not as sturdy as the Shimano 105's on the Cube. Possibly also need to reposition them as my fingers when riding on the bottom of the the drop bars aren't aligned if that makes sense.

As it was my birthday this weekend I had a heavy weekend, eating out twice, very late Saturday night out and no ride for a while, so didn't expect much time wise, but the time was fast, the bike does feel really good in principal. So once fully adjusted it will definitely be the step up I expected.

I swapped the pedals tonight and with pedals off it weighed 7.3kgs.....at this price mark for an XL sized frame it's superb...

Will be out again tomorrow hopefully with adjustments made.

Jules
Hopefully with the adjustments made it will be a much more comfortable ride.

Sounds really positive overall though. I think on mine will move the seat from my winter bike over as this is really comfortable

Thanks for the review though much appreciated.

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Hopefully with the adjustments made it will be a much more comfortable ride.

Sounds really positive overall though. I think on mine will move the seat from my winter bike over as this is really comfortable

Thanks for the review though much appreciated.
Re reading what I wrote last night I have not done the bike justice. The negatives bar the groupset are purely down to me getting my comfortable riding position sorted, nothing more.

It is clearly a big step up from the Cube and the Cube was superb.

For those pondering a bike at £1k, this bike is a no brainer.

For those who write that at this price mark carbon is not really any better than aluminium, then I guess with the right carbon frame this is wrong and I am comparing it with an Alu framed bike that is considered as one of the best for £1k, in the Cube Peloton Race.

Jules

stevey

Guru
Re reading what I wrote last night I have not done the bike justice. The negatives bar the groupset are purely down to me getting my comfortable riding position sorted, nothing more.

It is clearly a big step up from the Cube and the Cube was superb.

For those pondering a bike at £1k, this bike is a no brainer.

For those who write that at this price mark carbon is not really any better than aluminium, then I guess with the right carbon frame this is wrong and I am comparing it with an Alu framed bike that is considered as one of the best for £1k, in the Cube Peloton Race.

Jules
So your more than happy with the carbon frame and forks?

Cyclist33

So your more than happy with the carbon frame and forks?

Apart from the discomfort!

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

The frame and forks are superb. I just need to get the angle of the seat right to sort out the discomfort. Position wise it feels almost spot on, but the fact that a certain precious part of my anatomy was going numb suggests the seat angle / position needs changing slightly. I went through the same with the Cube when I first rode that.

The fact that this bike is almost a minute quicker over my short 11 mile route speaks volumes......

Jules

OP
OP
Cyclone1

Cyclone1

Yep, you are pushing yourself harder to justify having a new bike ;)

:biggrin:
Absolutely not. No placebo effect. I had not been on a bike for a week (normally ride 2-3 times a week) and really pigged out over the weekend as it was my birthday. Yet still smashed my PB...

Oh and to add to this I couldn't check the tyres pressures prior to my ride as I had lent my pump to a friend. Anyhow I checked them tonight and only 60psi.....so even more to come time wise ^_^

I bought the bike to go further faster, which it is already with much more to come.

Top Bottom