Next Wheel Build...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Gah.

Tried to true Mrs. Monkey's rear wheel, as it had been rubbing on the brake slightly. Discovered two things;

1) Quite a few of her spokes have fused to the spoke nipples (this is an OLD bike) and so snap at the thread when you try to true.

2) The rim's natural shape is that of a quaver - no wonder I couldn't get it in true :/ (Things were going so badly that I decided to unwind all the spokes and start from an untensioned wheel - it was then that the unorthodox shape became apparent).

Good job I didn't attempt this before we went to Belgium!

As Mavic prices have shot up recently (wanted to build with A319 again, but not at £6 more per rim than last time) I'm going with an Exal LX17 rim on Deore - all bits apart from spokes from the very friendly folk at Spa Cycles.

I might have missed it ,but how did the wheel build with your own bike go?

Haven't seen the shattered remains of an exploded rim down the Middlewich Road so I presume they are OK.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
accountantpete said:
I might have missed it ,but how did the wheel build with your own bike go?

Haven't seen the shattered remains of an exploded rim down the Middlewich Road so I presume they are OK.

Grand thanks Pete.

They survived several km of tooth rattling pavé on our tiny tour of Belgium (carrying me and luggage). I do need to pop them off the bike again at some point and check how true they are, but I'm quite pleased with them at this point.

Top Bottom