NFNPA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The cyclists who come down 'ere onto moy laaaaand and scare moy 'orses are scum, SCUUUUUUMMMM I tells ya.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Interesting read. The negativity directed at cycling in the New Forest really gets on my nerves.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I tend to avoid the Forest in the summer because of all the ....er.......traffic. Politics of prejudice I'm afraid, and no amount of that 'pesky' evidence will change the NFNPA's members' opinions. It's a self-interest group with a very narrow agenda.

DRHysted

Guru
Unfortunately most of the members of the board are from the chummy lets put my chum in charge of something realm. They look after their friends and nothing else.
In direct contrast to all the restrictions over cycling we have the Boxing Day Point to Point. This is a horse race where only the finish is known before the event, entrants are informed the start point on the day. They then ride hell for leather to get to the finish with complete disregard for any other forest users. Other users can not avoid the area because it is not publicised. The event is not cleared through the SAG. The event does not have public liability insurance. But it's been going on for over 200 years, so thats OK.

I have lived here all my life, and you're either in the equine group, or you're worthless.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps no one should ever visit if that's what the locals are like. Give it a month and the local economy will be begging for everyone to come back.

Perhaps no one should ever visit if that's what the locals are like. Give it a month and the local economy will be begging for everyone to come back.
In my experience, the vast majority of local businesses (with a special mention for the Bakery tea rooms in Beaulieu) welcome cyclists. There's just a small, influential bunch of knobbers who think the forest is their private fiefdom, I don't think they'd give a toss about the local cafes and B & B's etc.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Like anywhere else the vast majority of the locals are fine, but as DR says the politics of the place is controlled by a small clique who seem to think the Forest is some sort of private estate.

Top Bottom