NHS Trust to charge staff £220 to park cars at work, forget about job cuts this is even worse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janeho

Sore Thumb said:
Does anyone else work for the NHS that charges for car parking and what does your trust charge?
Yes Huddersfield royal Infirmary: parking charges were introduced a couple of years ago. If you apply for a permit the money is deducted monthly from salary.
At the same time some (but not enough) bike lockers were installed.

Whilst I agree with a lot that's been said above it is worth remembering that some staff do need to take a car to work - when on call and called in for instance, or occupational therapists who frequently go out on home visits with a lot of bulky equipment.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nigeyy said:
Last I heard running a car means you do pay rather a lot in taxes. Way more than the actual cost -which means they are subsidizing someone as well (may well be you in another aspect of your lifestyle as well).

When you tot up the full externalities of running a car - the pollution you create (noise, particulate and CO2), the other people you encourage to run a car, the costs of the roads you drive on, the additional cost to the NHS because you're less healthy - your taxes come to considerably less than the true cost to the economy of your choice. So you are being subsidised by running a car.

Clive Atton

Über Member
I have never really understood the concept of believing that just because you have bought yourself a car you have some inalienable right to drive somewhere (work, shops, beauty spot etc) and just dump it there for free whilst you go about your business or leisure activities. Perhaps it should be enshrined in law that all citizens should be able to dump a 2 ton skip wherever they like.

Round here the Taxis certainly feel they have a right to park anywhere!

Prime example of one company who have an office on Goldsmith Avenue....

1. On Pavement
2. On double yellow lines
3. Within boundary of Pedestrian crossing

Not a single possible illegal act missed!

DSC00042.jpg

Domestique

Über Member
The trust I work for took away the changing facilities for cyclists and gave tham to the deep cleanin team.
Seems to me the trust I work for doesnt really give two hoots about cyclists.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Domestique said:
The trust I work for took away the changing facilities for cyclists and gave tham to the deep cleanin team.
Seems to me the trust I work for doesnt really give two hoots about cyclists.

Probably reckons that having people who've been cleaning wards wandering around in contaminated overalls and killing people is slightly less appetising than having staff who've cycled in to work wandering around in slightly smelly lycra and annoying people.

Change in the loo and shower before you leave home.

Top Bottom