Nibali joins the greats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tigger

Über Member
Sky Sports news just pointed out that Nibali's Tour de France victory makes him only the sixth man in history to have won all three grand tours. He joins an extremely distinguished list of Anquetil, Merckx, Gimondi, Hinault and Contador.

That's some achievement. Chapeau.

Statiscally yes he joins some of the greats on a list but does that make him one of the greats ? Not in my book, all those others won multiple grand tours and sometimes two in the same season. He needs to win a few more.

The one missing from that list is Coppi, arguably the greatest of them all.

Edit - just noticed that Bartali isn't there either. I guess that not many Italians ever rode the Vuelta when it was in its old slot on the calendar. That and the war.

Chapeau to Nibali, a great rider all round, as he proved with his national TT win and yesterdays 'safe' 4th place finish as well as the cobbled stage and the mtn stage wins.

He's a serious talent and jack of all trades. Not often a GC contender of todays era can mix it up competitively in the classics too. The weather, regardless of what it is doing, seems not to bother him either.

If i was to sum him up i would say he is just bloody good on two wheels.

Chapeau Nibbles.....

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Interesting how Nibali has already won the TdF. He might fall off yet.
I used to compete professionally, on horses. We hadn't 'won' until the competition was over. Were we horsy types wrong all these years?

OP
OP
tigger

tigger

Über Member
Interesting how Nibali has already won the TdF. He might fall off yet.
I used to compete professionally, on horses. We hadn't 'won' until the competition was over. Were we horsy types wrong all these years?
Yes very true, I was going to caveat this at the beginning of the thread but thought it obvious. Regardless of bad luck, we all know Nibali is the winner and today is just precessional from a GC point of view.

Let's hope I haven't given him a commentators kiss of death!

Last edited:
He's a serious talent and jack of all trades. Not often a GC contender of todays era can mix it up competitively in the classics too. The weather, regardless of what it is doing, seems not to bother him either.

If i was to sum him up i would say he is just bloody good on two wheels.

Chapeau Nibbles.....
He doesn't ride the classics though. He's done a couple, mostly the Italian ones and a few Monuments but they're not a regular part of his season.

He doesn't ride the classics though. He's done a couple, mostly the Italian ones and a few Monuments but they're not a regular part of his season.
That's because he is not a classics rider. I simply meant he mixes with the classics and is competitive.

2008 - 10th Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2011 - 8th in Milan Sanremo, 8th in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2012 - 3rd Milan Sanremo, 2nd in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.

We all know about his results in GC in the grand tours but the above shows he has many strings to his bow.

One would likely have to go back a fair bit in time to find a rider who has won all 3 grand tours and been so successful in the monuments/classics - that he chooses to ride.

That's because he is not a classics rider. I simply meant he mixes with the classics and is competitive.

2008 - 10th Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2011 - 8th in Milan Sanremo, 8th in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.
2012 - 3rd Milan Sanremo, 2nd in Liege - Bastogne - Liege.

We all know about his results in GC in the grand tours but the above shows he has many strings to his bow.

One would likely have to go back a fair bit in time to find a rider who has won all 3 grand tours and been so successful in the monuments/classics - that he chooses to ride.
I accept your clarification ^_^

Top Bottom