Nice commute this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Get up, it's cold. Ride to work. Get to work. Security guy tells me to go home, site closed because the car park is icy*. Go home, make tea. Get text asking me to work from home. Since I have no laboratory at home and my computer is at work (on the other side of the deadly car park) I'm going to find this tricky.

*I think someone fell on their arse or something, hence the site closure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bonus.

Get up, it's cold. Ride to work. Get to work. Security guy tells me to go home, site closed because the car park is icy*. Go home, make tea. Get text asking me to work from home. Since I have no laboratory at home and my computer is at work (on the other side of the deadly car park) I'm going to find this tricky.

*I think someone fell on their arse or something, hence the site closure.
Pah - company wimped out!
I assume it was on full pay tho?!

D

Deleted member 1258

As fossyant said bonus, I think hell would have to freeze over before our place would shut due to bad weather.

Know what you mean.
Nothing stopping us hardy winter commuters.

I can see why people sometimes think we are mad considering some of the wind and weather we venture out in with a wry smile on our faces and nerves of steel in the traffic

D

Deleted member 1258

Know what you mean.
Nothing stopping us hardy winter commuters.

I can see why people sometimes think we are mad considering some of the wind and weather we venture out in with a wry smile on our faces and nerves of steel in the traffic

I'm sure a lot of my colleges and friends think I'm mad, I have both a bike and a car and I do nearly all of my commuting by bike, I even ride in the snow.

rosesawin

i agree ., I think hell would have to freeze over before our place would shut due to bad weather.
1.gif

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Turns out it was more than someone falling on their arse, guy salting the car park fell and suffered broken ankle, on some areas of the site it was extremely slippery. Took all of yesterday to clear part of site of ice.

Health & safety gone mad.
Nope, management probably already preparing for a personal injury caim for the broken ankle for a potential breach of a duty of care owed to the employee insofar as not ensuring safe access and egress to the place of work.
They may have been advised by their H&S adviser to refuse access until it could be made safe.
This was a foreseeable incident given the weather and forecasts, and possibly they failed to put measures (gritting) in place.

The person with the broken ankle could very easily have a lifestyle limiting injury all because the employer possibly didn't arrange for it to be gritted and checked periodically to ensure it was still safe.

So...in a nutshell, a management reaction to an incident and potential claim, a reportable injury tat could lead to a HSE investigation, all caused by mis-management.

NOT health and safety gone mad.

A simple and low cost measure has potentially caused loss of resource, insurance premium increase and a complete productivity loss for a day. MIS-MANAGEMENT

Top Bottom