Nice Lycett Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got myself a Lycett, to add to my saddle collection, it's in reasonable condition, a nice bit of leather, but it might need some lacing. Another bit of Birmingham cycle saddle history.

Pics, after a slight encounter with Dubbin.
Lycett%20pic2_zpspvxuc6j5.png

Lycett%20pic3_zpse6cvgrry.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Looks like it's got the lace holes already!

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Looks like it's got the lace holes already!
Yes, it does indeed, that's a nice feature, it just needs lacing to stop it "flapping" when I put my weight on it. I believe Brooks eventually owned Lycett and sold these as a less expensive saddle.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you have a pic of the underside? That looks like the saddle in my Claud, and I always suspected it wasn't a Brooks but the embossing is to worn to read.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Weren't Lycett in Mansfield.

Do you have a pic of the underside? That looks like the saddle in my Claud, and I always suspected it wasn't a Brooks but the embossing is to worn to read.

You would struggle to tell the difference between a Brooks, a Lycett and a Wrights other than the embossing and the nameplate, it doesn't help that Brooks took over the other 2 firms (well actually Raleigh cos they owned Brooks from 1962 on)

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Weren't Lycett in Mansfield.

You would struggle to tell the difference between a Brooks, a Lycett and a Wrights other than the embossing and the nameplate, it doesn't help that Brooks took over the other 2 firms (well actually Raleigh cos they owned Brooks from 1962 on)

Mansfield?

"The Leatheries Ltd of Sampson Road North, Sparkbrook, Birmingham was taken over by Brooks in the 1930s.

Mansfield and Co. Ltd. started out as Mansfield and Watton, a company formed by Albert Mansfield and William Watton, at some time they were at 128 Colmore Row, Birmingham. Later dropping the Watton and being at several locations over the years, such as 48 Macdonald Street, Pershore Street and the last being 24 Heathfield Road, Handsworth, Birmingham until 1967. Some patent info for saddle componants mentions Albert Mansfield of Macdonald Street.

A. E. Wilby saddles of Holloway Head, Birmingham, closed down in 1961."

25667489363_4fd9b1cdd5_b.jpg

I believe that Lycett were at Great Charles Street, Birmingham.

Lycett_Mattress_Saddle_Cat_Page_02.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mansfield?

"The Leatheries Ltd of Sampson Road North, Sparkbrook, Birmingham was taken over by Brooks in the 1930s.

Mansfield and Co. Ltd. started out as Mansfield and Watton, a company formed by Albert Mansfield and William Watton, at some time they were at 128 Colmore Row, Birmingham. Later dropping the Watton and being at several locations over the years, such as 48 Macdonald Street, Pershore Street and the last being 24 Heathfield Road, Handsworth, Birmingham until 1967. Some patent info for saddle componants mentions Albert Mansfield of Macdonald Street.

A. E. Wilby saddles of Holloway Head, Birmingham, closed down in 1961."
My mistake then, I thought they were based there, 1967 sounds about right for the Brooks/Raleigh takeover though although Claude Butler may have bought up quite an inventory before it happened.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
My mistake then, I thought they were based there, 1967 sounds about right for the Brooks/Raleigh takeover though although Claude Butler may have bought up quite an inventory before it happened.

It's all interesting stuff...... the Mansfield saddles look very good in the photos, but apparently the flat aluminium frames cracked.....

"Hiduminium"

1952_Mansfield_leaflet_p2_Ormond.jpg

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I spent a few minutes taking the Lycett saddle apart from my Mum's Raleigh last night to put the undercarriage of it into an oxalix acid bath. It was of intriguing construction. I hope I will be able to reassemble it OK. The top part, with leather, horsehair and mattress springs has remained intact & I do not intend to try to dismantle it any further.

I am guessing a bit of saddle soap may refresh the leather on top ?

Top Bottom