Nice to Monaco/Monte Carlo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
In possibly the grandest thread I've ever started on the web, my three days in Nice in the summer isn't the big cycle trip I'd planned but I will be hiring a bike one day to pootle about, and I noticed that Monaco is only about 20km away, Monte Carlo maybe slightly further.

Anyone ever ridden between these cities? I found reference to a cycle path being built from Nice to Monaco and due to open in 2023 but couldn't find anything to say it was actually up and running.

I'm fine with traffic as long as it's not autoroute-style, and will likely be doing it early hours as the south of France can get stifling in the daytime, I guess there might be a sea breeze if it's a coastal path/road.

In possibly the grandest thread I've ever started on the web, my three days in Nice in the summer isn't the big cycle trip I'd planned but I will be hiring a bike one day to pootle about, and I noticed that Monaco is only about 20km away, Monte Carlo maybe slightly further.

Anyone ever ridden between these cities? I found reference to a cycle path being built from Nice to Monaco and due to open in 2023 but couldn't find anything to say it was actually up and running.

I'm fine with traffic as long as it's not autoroute-style, and will likely be doing it early hours as the south of France can get stifling in the daytime, I guess there might be a sea breeze if it's a coastal path/road.

Never ridden it but there is a EV route along there.
My first port of call would be Cycle.Travel
Failing that, CrazyGuyOnABike might help or hav a look on RWGPS or Komoot for routes created by others.

Good luck

Not done as far as Monaco but staying outside of Nice we did some ride through Cannes. It was quite busy with all the traffic along the coast but we did see pro cyclists riding the paths too so they must have thought it was ok.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks all - I no longer have a subscription to Strava so can't plan routes/look at heatmaps etc, but will have a look at the other sites mentioned.

Didn't know about Eurovelo routes, I thought EV mentioned above was for electric vehicles! I did find a video of a guy that rode the coast road and it didn't look particularly fast or treacherous, I'll also be heading out early morning (i.e. 5am) so should be quiet at that time.

My first port of call would be Cycle.Travel

Yes, that was the first place I checked!
There is indeed a ride-able route along the coast (there wasn't when I rode down to Nice - no choice but go over the Col de Braus*, which was jolly nice, and was the shortest route from Tende anyway :smile: ). So I have two contrasting adviceses:
- Monte-Carlo is a must-see tourist spot, especially if you've ever watched the GP, or a Bond Movie No need to spend any money, just walk-n-gawp.
- The nicest roads round Nice are directly up into the hills. Probably need a few hours to make a decent trip, but really gorgeous!

we did see pro cyclists riding the paths too so they must have thought it was ok.
Nice has become a big place for Pros to live and train. They all talk about Braus, and lots of other climbs I don't know :smile:
Col_de_Braus_%282%29.jpg

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yes, that was the first place I checked!
There is indeed a ride-able route along the coast (there wasn't when I rode down to Nice - no choice but go over the Col de Braus*, which was jolly nice, and was the shortest route from Tende anyway :smile: ). So I have two contrasting adviceses:
- Monte-Carlo is a must-see tourist spot, especially if you've ever watched the GP, or a Bond Movie No need to spend any money, just walk-n-gawp.
- The nicest roads round Nice are directly up into the hills. Probably need a few hours to make a decent trip, but really gorgeous!

Nice has become a big place for Pros to live and train. They all talk about Braus, and lots of other climbs I don't know :smile:
View attachment 722860

While that does look incredible I'll be travelling light and on a hire bike so not going to happen this time, it's going to be a leisure ride. I'm going to try and squeeze in this monster before the summer's out though:

1709113851872.png

Simon_m

Guru
when i planned my trip from Menton to Hendaye which takes the coastline either side of Nice, I just used StreetView for the whole trip to see what the roads were like, busy, road surface etc. There seems to be a cycle path most of the way from Nice to Saint Tropez, Monaco was a total mess to plan with all the busy tunnels, so had to speak to the local tourist office.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks for this - thinking about why I wanted to go to Monaco, the main reason was so I could tell people I cycled to Monaco, so I've decided to spend the day riding round the two peninsulas (peninsulae?) to the east of Nice. Cap-Ferrat particularly seems to have a good rep, otherwise I would just be rushing to do some miles and get back again. Might make it up to Éze if I have the energy as have heard good things, quite a climb though.

Thanks for this - thinking about why I wanted to go to Monaco, the main reason was so I could tell people I cycled to Monaco, so I've decided to spend the day riding round the two peninsulas (peninsulae?) to the east of Nice. Cap-Ferrat particularly seems to have a good rep, otherwise I would just be rushing to do some miles and get back again. Might make it up to Éze if I have the energy as have heard good things, quite a climb though.

[Nothing to do with Monaco, but ... ]
I'd recommending watching last week's Paris-Nice - or rather, the last 3 stages. Stunning and inspirational scenery!

Simon_m

Guru
Cycled through Sisteron last year on our coast to coast trip, always wanted to visit since seeing it on the TdF years back. lovely place. Yep would live to do Eve too, go there! lol. Monaco was amazing on foot 20 odd years ago, not sure about bike, guess i will find out in a few months. But it is famous like you say, and to cyclce part of the old F1 track, yeah to do it lol.

day001-large.jpg

I'm going to be in Nice early May and really looking forward to it, been watching Paris-Nice for yonks and decided it's worth a visit!

@Twilkes - if you still have Strava, you could try following Michael Cotty - the col collective as he seems to start a lot of his rides in Nice

Top Bottom