Nick, St. Neots, Cambs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shrew

Hi folks, ive been using this site for a few of weeks and thought its about time i said hi really, so, erm Hi /wave.

I live in st. neots in Cambs and just brought myself a shiney new road bike to hopefully ride out with someone or a group or club.

I know nothing around this area in terms of cycle clubs so if anyone knows one or fancies a ride out soon it would be great to have someone to cycle with )

bauldbairn

Hello Nick and Welcome to the CC forums. :evil:

Canardly

Veteran
Nick there is supposed to be a small club in St.Neots otherwise CTC in Bedford

Cycling in St. Neots St. Neots has a small cycling club who organise a Sunday run and racing in the summer.
Contact Matt.
Tel: 01480 218939..

zexel

Veteran
Hi Nick

I live in Huntingdon.

There is a cycling club in St Ives. I did email to enquire about joining but didn't get much of a response tbh. I've only started cycling again recently so wasn't looking for anything too serious. I got the impression it caters more for the serious cyclist from the website.

Actually you being in St Neots has just reminded me of another route for me, going through the Offords, bit 'hilly' (relatively speaking) for Cambs.

If you want someone to ride with, by all means let me know and I'm sure we can sort something out.

What bike have you got?

Canardly

Veteran
Seems there are a few of us in the locality - should throw up some possibilities. Like you zexel have only taken up again recently after quite a long time.

OP
OP
S

shrew

cool, sounds great, i just ordered a Van nicholas yukon, should arrive this week...

i had a nasty accident in november involving me, my boardman racer and a citreon saxo, the saxo and me were pretty mashed, though the boardman racer seemed to get away with it quite lightly 8/

needless to say i wont be competing just yet, looking to build up my strenth and fitness for the first few months and to see how i go from there, perhaps some longer rides like Lejog in the future )

Canardly

Veteran
Crikey thats a bit posh titanium heh, lifetime guarantee on frame tho. They are lovely bikes. So my ancient super galaxy is gonna struggle.

OP
OP
S

shrew

im sure itll be fine, i used to have a old steel racer, cost me £15 and was about a thousand years old, was still pretty nippy though.

its more fun to ride with people anyway even if the pace is more leisurely.

Canardly

Veteran
Agree - have been on a few sustrans runs recently, miles just slip by when in a group.

Canardly

Veteran
Price of new bikes is just eye watering. Galaxy ti is nearly £3k. Has got to be good news for frame makers in UK.

Crankarm

Guru
zexel said:
Hi Nick

I live in Huntingdon.

There is a cycling club in St Ives. I did email to enquire about joining but didn't get much of a response tbh. I've only started cycling again recently so wasn't looking for anything too serious. I got the impression it caters more for the serious cyclist from the website.

Actually you being in St Neots has just reminded me of another route for me, going through the Offords, bit 'hilly' (relatively speaking) for Cambs.

If you want someone to ride with, by all means let me know and I'm sure we can sort something out.

What bike have you got?

Nick welcome.

St Ives CC is quite a big CC just under 200 members I think. It caters for all types of rider road or MTB, leisure, road racing or TTing. Club rides meet at Richardson's Cycles in St Ives on a sunday for a 9am start. About 55-60 miles, generally 3 groups - fast, medium and leisure. The routes go out all points of the compass from St Ives and back. They do longer 100 mile rides as well. Quite a few members are from St. Neots.

TTing is wednesday evenings on the old A1 near to the Sawtry roundabout. Quite a wide straight road and very light traffic as only carries local traffic to the surrounding villages. Most of the traffic takes the A1M.

What do you mean you didn't get much of a response? Either you got a response or you didn't :sad:? You just print off the membership form, complete it, send it off to the address given and you will then get a prompt response. Alternatively why not turn up for the sunday club run to see if the club is for you? They are a generally friendly welcoming lot.

zexel

Veteran
Crankarm said:
Nick welcome.

St Ives CC is quite a big CC just under 200 members I think. It caters for all types of rider road or MTB, leisure, road racing or TTing. Club rides meet at Richardson's Cycles in St Ives on a sunday for a 9am start. About 55-60 miles, generally 3 groups - fast, medium and leisure. The routes go out all points of the compass from St Ives and back. They do longer 100 mile rides as well. Quite a few members are from St. Neots.

TTing is wednesday evenings on the old A1 near to the Sawtry roundabout. Quite a wide straight road and very light traffic as only carries local traffic to the surrounding villages. Most of the traffic takes the A1M.

What do you mean you didn't get much of a response? Either you got a response or you didn't :smile:? You just print off the membership form, complete it, send it off to the address given and you will then get a prompt response. Alternatively why not turn up for the sunday club run to see if the club is for you? They are a generally friendly welcoming lot.

Thank you crankarm, that was exactly the sort of response I was looking for when I emailed asking about details of the club.

I haven't joined a cycling club before and didn't want to send an application form off without enquiring as to what sort of club it is.

"Not much of a response", meant that I got a response over a month later and it didn't answer any of my questions. (which you have just covered in your excellent description of the club above)

I appreciate people are busy and it was only a feeling I got from the comms/delay I got from the email.

Do you think I've, 'blotted my copy book' regarding joining the club now?:angry: It just happens to sound like an ideal club for me :smile:

Top Bottom