Nigel Dean World Tour Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Freshly back from Maldon Shot Blasting and powder coated in rose gold, I've just finished putting the wife's Nigel Dean World Tour back together, and I have to say it's come up rather lovely - I should never had doubted her choice of colour ^_^. She chose the frame colour to match the Union Flag on the Carradice bag - apparently these things are important - so it's ended up with a black and gold vibe.

The only change I made was to swap the chunky black plastic bar-mounted shifters with some stem-mounted friction shifters (all Suntour, so consistent), which she prefers and which clean the lines up a little bit too. I've always rather liked stem shifters. I've also always absolutely loved drop bar + mixte frame bikes: it's a shame they're not made so much any more and also that they're not regarded as more unisex. I'm now just reconciling myself to the fact that it's going to get ridden and it's going to get scratched!

Have to say, I was very impressed with Maldon Shot Blasting - they were really easy to deal with, good value and paid a lot of attention to protecting threads and finishing edges neatly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Very tasty.

swansonj

Guru
I've always thought that, if you have drop bars but ride mostly on the flats, with the brake hoods a bit too stretched out for comfortable continuous riding, and you have a penchant for simplicity, then stem-mounted shifters make a lot of sense - more ergonomic than bar-end shifters, which seem to be the preferred solution to that specification on modern bikes?

OP
OP
Specialeyes
He was a very good "gritty" rider as well. Saw him ride a couple of times.
I must admit I did wonder about his riding career but couldn't find out too much about it - I think at a pinch my wife's riding style could be described as gritty!

I've always thought that, if you have drop bars but ride mostly on the flats, with the brake hoods a bit too stretched out for comfortable continuous riding, and you have a penchant for simplicity, then stem-mounted shifters make a lot of sense - more ergonomic than bar-end shifters, which seem to be the preferred solution to that specification on modern bikes?
Totally agree - bar-end shifters have their place too (well duh - in the ends of the bars, of course!) but I'm totally sure that most average riders' hands are generally in easier reach of the stem than the bar ends.

That's a really great job.

However, those shifters are an abomination and it needs some black mudguards.

I just happen to have some nearly new Dia Compe friction bar-end shifters for sale if you're interested...

swansonj

Guru
That's a really great job.

However, those shifters are an abomination and it needs some black mudguards.

I just happen to have some nearly new Dia Compe friction bar-end shifters for sale if you're interested...
So talk me through precisely why bar-end shifters are better than stem shifters?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Because, for the same reason that such things copped a ban; that they'll impale you in the groin in a crash. Bar end shifters on the other hand are likely to not impale you in the groin in a crash.
Get your point BUT when was the last time anybody 'groined' themselves in an accident?

I've had many and varied crashes- some of them pretty bad- but never, ever have I had a high speed veg/stem collision.

swansonj

Guru
Because, for the same reason that such things copped a ban; that they'll impale you in the groin in a crash. Bar end shifters on the other hand are likely to not impale you in the groin in a crash.
Yes, I've heard that argument before. I would usually ask whether you think they are actually any worse for your groin than the stem that is there anyway (particularly if mounted forward of the vertical part of the stem)? But when you look closely at @Specialeyes ' photos, I would have to agree that the left-hand lever looks slightly, err, eye-watering.

@User , do I remember that the bike you had on the Shoreham ride had similar simple levers (as opposed to complicated pods) but mounted forward of the handlebars?

Top Bottom