England : Hampshire Night Ride Around The Coast - 14 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
The cat is pretty much turn up and pay, not much to be gained from booking.

And they can cope with all but the biggest groups of cycles.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As HorTs has it- no real need to book the cat in advance. On the trains, advance booking renders no advantages at all on South West Trains- they don't do advance fare discounts or seat reservations. It might still be cheaper to book one ticket all the way through if you're going onwards out of London, but not much point otherwise. Southern do fares as low as a tenner or so with a Network Railcard, but those are much slower (slower than the stopping SWT services) and tend to end up very, very crowded by the time you've got to Gatwick.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

I've just had a look at the engineering works for SWT for the 15th March and, although getting to Pompey seems to be ok, the return journey might be disrupted for some. Here's a link. There's plenty to decipher I'm afraid.

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/MarEng2014.aspx#133327

Most of the problems are at Southampton, but I guess you already knew that, Stu :thumbsup:
Just had a quick look at the times on the National Rail site, three trains an hour- one 'fast' (but slower than usual), one stopping, one via change at Eastleigh/Winchester. And all in the first twenty-five minutes of each hour...helpful.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Looks good, Stu. Is the incursion to the Needles a comfort break? Will toilets/cafe be open early enough on Saturday morning?
More a case of 'I haven't been down there, and about time I put that right'. Still didn't manage it on today's recce- more on which anon. Also has the advantage of adding a few extra miles in. In view of the 1am start time and leisurely pace I don't see there being a problem with cafes and toilets being open in Ryde when we get back round. Toilet stops en route are likely to be a case of finding a handy bush.....

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

2950314 said:
Apologies, I am not going to do this one. Too many travelling days is eating into my cycle commuting days and a 10 day lay-off while I had stitches in my elbow was the final straw. I don't want to commit to a hilly ride with no bail out options.
Sorry you'll miss it, probably for the best though.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Oh yes, the recce. I knew it would be, but definitely, with the benefit of hindsight, a good idea. In quite a few places there were issues of one sort or another- one 'road' the OSM routing had me going down early on was nothing more than a very rough bridle path (a helpful biker set me right about that). Shanklin beachfront was kind of fun, if somewhat sandy, and the approach from the road is best walked, or ridden extremely cautiously. Several places of particularly bad road surfaces (yes, even by IOW standards) where we'll have to be careful- coming down from Blackgang for one. Nothing like some big potholes on a 30+ mph descent. Didn't go down to the Needles- the south coast was hard work in that wind and I felt like having a tailwind ASAP. Some routing changes will be needed. Undercliffe Drive (all too literally named at the moment) I knew about, but Wight Roads (a massively ineffectual organisation judging by my experience) have shut part of the A3054 east of Yarmouth. Allegedly open again by the 14th, but today (as it will for Friday's night recce) it involved a diversion- I ended up going through Newport to Ryde rather than East Cowes, couldn't be bothered to take what in effect would be another diversion. The 'motorway' (the one stretch of dual carriageway on the island) was rather busy, but that won't be in the early hours of the morning. Seven hours to get round- some of which was down to the detours and the odd wrong turning, but mostly because it was hard work in that wind. And using the 'A' roads is only slightly flatter than the official round the Island route. Bring your triple or compact gearing and be prepared to suffer.

Stu - you missed out the best part of the ride through bypassing Ventnor!! Switchback descents and 1 km of sea wall from Bonchurch to Ventnor. Plus, Undercliff Drive will be gloriously atmospheric at night through the woods.

There's also the possibility of some available toilets right on the beach at Bonchurch, as there are some community run toilets there, which I have a feeling aren't locked.

Last edited:
Bring your triple or compact gearing and be prepared to suffer.
No likey!
Weather forecast looks okay: Cold but dry, winds starting NW 12-13mph with no real gusts -- shifting round to SW through the night and dropping to 5mph.
Can you believe our luck, if that actually happens?!
Meanwhile...
Triple chainset: check.
Mental prep in progress, prepared to suffer tomorrow night. I do know the worst of the hills personally so hopefully won't burst into tears. Much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

After yesterday's adventures, a revised version of the route, for tomorrow night at least- mostly as posted upthread by Adam but with tweaks for the road closures in place. That Yarmouth closure was a real PITA. If we're all knackered and soaking wet Newport remains an option...
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4121438

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

No likey!
Weather forecast looks okay: Cold but dry, winds 17-18mph with no real gusts -- direction starting NW but shifting round to SW through the night.
Can you believe our luck, if that actually happens?!
Meanwhile...
Triple chainset: check.
Mental prep in progress, prepared to suffer tomorrow night. I do know the worst of the hills personally so hopefully won't burst into tears. Much.
The 'be prepared to suffer' was more a case of 'prepare for the worst, hope for the best'. I'd done the regular 'official' loop a few times and I can't remember it being as hard as that ride yesterday.

Top Bottom