England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2017 (May 19)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie_C

Über Member
Thanks again Stuart for organising this - it's a great ride, full of contrasts, and especially so at night. There is something special about circumnavigating an island at night, it's really spookily quiet, and the ride deserves fuller support.
Thanks to Phil, Paul and Nigel who joined us on another memorable adventure.
Hope to see you again next year.

Not quite the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse, more the Five Riders of the Deluge. At approx 3.00 to 3.30 the Deluge certainly seemed biblical.

All started well, quick climb to the milk vending machine (sadly closed!), down to the 24hr supermarket, short wait for Eddie. Usual trundle around Seaview, St Helens and Sandown. At this time of day, Sandown reminds me of a tired, slightly run down or out of season english seaside town stuck in a time zone of ages past.
Avoiding Shanklin, a right turn onto the the track Stu quaintly calls the Sunshine Trail. All forecasts (Beeb, Norwegians and Ventusky) predicted a dry night. I heard it, before I saw or felt any large heavy drops. We had temporary coverage under the tree canopy and then it became wetter and wetter. By the time we reached the end of the Trail, we were soaked. As we huddled under a tree, Eddie somewhat belatedly thought it was time to don the overshoes. Collectively we decided onwards was better than staying put.
I thought I might warm up on the next climb and then Paul had his visitation. He felt he was being adjudicated on his tube replacement skills and timing. He passed well. Warming up would have to wait.
Bypassing Ventnor and through Whitwell, the sky was lightening and although the Deluge had abated, the roads were still awash. Generally, our lot improved from here. After Niton, the Blackgang climb. The last time I attempted this, it was much, much darker for it was later in the year. Now it was glorious, a warmer and drier top half, the crepuscular sky. Stopping at the car park near the summit, we consumed provisions and took in the astounding view towards the western tip and beyond to the south dorset coast. Lower extremities remained cold and damp.
Pacing along the Military Road, many bunnies dashed across our path, a lone buzzard flew off languorously on our approach. Phil's double visitation and a south-westerly breeze prevented any startling times from our nascent racer. Another stop at the car park overlooking Compton Bay. The sun was peeping over the hill in the east, lighting up the distant cliffs from Tennyson Down, the crescent moon shone behind us now the clouds had moved on. We moved on too.
Whoever is in charge of the island's roads has done a remarkable job - in places. And this was one. Gorgeously smooth tarmac all the way to Freshwater making the double climb seem marginally less strenuous and leaning through the corners. There are plenty of other re-surfaced stretches but who knows why they have appeared sporadically.
A dash along the A3054 with bright sun in our eyes. White van man overtaking, not realising we are five and mis-judging distance, so not being capable of passing the bollards on the left. The madness of The Motorway. Now feeling warmer and almost dry feet. Now we are four again as we say our byes to Eddie and we bound into Ryde for the usual refreshment at 'spoons.

Thanks to Eddie, Paul and Phil for the company. Thanks Stu for the ride - another good one. And yes, more folk should try this, it is well worth it.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Oh, thats alright then - I thought it might just be because we trundle thru in the early hours of the morning lit only by the weak yellowish street lighting!!
I thought it was showing the first signs of hipsterness. On next year's ride it'll be artisan rock shops and fixie pedalos, you mark my words.

Top Bottom