England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2018 (May 4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well....
We somehow managed to be even slower (in elapsed time at least) than I was on the recce, but it's not exactly a race. I don't think anyone minded too much…

Rewind back to Friday night. Make a whole minute or so at work, that plus a smooth-running commute mean I get home at 10.15 or so. Plenty of time to change, eat and do the final bits of prep before making my way down to the ferry terminal. Local colour thankfully mostly missing- a few no-lights ninjas, a couple of drunks…nothing more. Fifty percent of tonight's peloton (namely @Shadow and @Low Gear Guy ) were already there, shortly to be joined by @Bollo. The midnight sailing to Fishbourne is often busy, but that one was heaving. OK, it's a Bank Holiday weekend, but tourists wouldn't be going over that late…pass. If it had been quiet, I'd have just got us on our way, but there were so many vehicles we waited, for quite a while, before a perfunctory safety talk and we headed off into the quiet. I had discovered on the boat that despite preparing the GPXs and sticking them on this here thread, I'd managed not to load the main one (from Tesco back round to Ryde- I do two files because of the overlap that would otherwise screw up the routing) onto the Garmin, and I didn't have the cable I'd have needed to get it transferred from the phone, it's not usually needed. Oops. This caused a couple of slight detours later on, but most of the route is pretty well lodged in the grey cells (and reasonably obvious much of the time) so no real problem.

First stretch to Tesco was busier with traffic than usual. A couple of yoof were doing doughnuts in the car park, fortunately they left before we did. Also, there was a night bus, going to Shanklin apparently, four or five young persons took it. Whodathunkit? Selection of sandwiches etc was somewhat sparse, but just about enough of a choice. And with that, on our way up to Seaview. As per the last couple of years, the road surface standards remain somewhat confusingly varied. You get potholed grottiness right next to immaculate fresh tarmac, often with seeming lack of rhyme or reason. As I said to Peter on the night, the stretch round Bembridge Harbour is about the flattest stretch of the entire ride. It of course ends with a corkscrewing uphill. Then another one...Round to Sandown, where we were told by a drunken walker it was a 'bit late to be ******* cycling'. I declined to reply "Well, yes, but it's actually really really early, and we have good lights, thank you.."

The Sunshine Trail was thankfully dry, and all of the wildlife decided to have a rest from brake testing nocturnal cyclists, not so much as a single bunny crossed our paths. After the failure of the Undercliff Drive experiment (or, I'm Not Doing A 17 Percent Hairpin Descent In The Dark In Company Followed By An Extra Bonus Climb For Good Measure), back to the tried and tested route via Whitwell to Blackgang, and the sit-and-spin ascent to our halfway stop. Excitingly, OK, not exciting at all, it has some new bins in wooden housings (even by local news standards, that's a bit dull) . Bit early for sunrise, but the dawn chorus had started up.

Then onto the Military Road. Rather better conditions for that stretch than on the recce, but true to form ride leader dropped to (very much) lanterne rouge. Back together, up the couple of nasty grinding climbs round Freshwater Bay, then down into the town of that name. North to Freshwater, and then the one and only mechanical of the ride. I felt a telltale thump from the rear wheel…yup, a fairy visit. Despite the well-spread broken glass we'd not long passed (and there had been a few more bits to avoid before that), it wasn't glass. A shard of metal- not a nail or screw but similar in size and weight- had gone clean through the tyre. A Marathon Plus wouldn't have survived that. An excellent team effort got the tube changed, and yet again that mini-pump of mine did an excellent job. My T-rex arms had the tube inflated in no time, normal floaty smoothness restored.

First aforementioned nav fail followed (mistake quickly rectified) before back NE to Yarmouth. On to Cowes, where second nav fail led to us taking the scenic route to the chain ferry (yes, Farcy McBoatface was in service, and we had been in no danger of being round before seven and taking the passenger launch). Genial staff wondered if we were a bit early for the Randonnee...Across to East Cowes, which is (somehow) twinned with Deauville- an odd couple indeed-and then on to Wootton, past multiple signs for red squirrels without sight of the critters, grinding our way past Fishbourne (lovely descent from 1ish no longer lovely, or a descent), and up that climb (Quarr Hill) that keeps defeating @CharlieB, before getting to Ryde just before nine. Many calories and much caffeine followed before we (mostly) abided by the Ryde Pier speed limit to get the catamaran back to Pompey. The other three had trains home, I had to ride the whole way again :smile: Thanks chaps!

As for the rest of you: You saw this thread. You read this report. Sign up next year. This ride deserves more than a select gathering. Those ferry terminals are a direct train and ninety minutes away from Waterloo. £5 for an advance single from Victoria (over two hours). It's southern England, not Mars...although some of the yokels are a bit alien. Yes, there's rather a lot of climbing, I refuse to pretend otherwise (no-one's going to tell me I didn't mention the hills), and yes, halfway is in a car park, but that's your fault for not signing up.....;)

Anyway, edition number six will run in 2019. Hopefully with more people joining me!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Anyway, edition number six will run in 2019
Pleased to hear that, Stu.

A treat. Well-described by Stu.

A few other observations: traffic to the all night provision purveyor was much busier than previous years. We must have seen around eleven vehicles - at least 9 more than usual - which by IoW standards at 1.30 is parliament square busy-ness. The drivers were as surprised at seeing us, as us seeing them. That's long weekend traffic for you.

Onto Sandown, populated by three pedestrians, one mentioned above, the other two younger types were bound to be some of the new hipsters who have moved into town in the last 12 months.
See
I thought it was showing the first signs of hipsterness. On next year's ride it'll be artisan rock shops and fixie pedalos, you mark my words.
Sadly not, eh Paul. Maybe next year.

The quaintly named Sunshine Trail provided the ride's almost novelty off road feature. Always fun to go off tarmac for a short while yet it seemed longer than I recall. And the tiny, tiny pellets of sand/grit ping off wheels and onto rims and brakes blocks. Regardless of surface being wet or dry. At least this stretch is flat, flat and flat.

Left turn at Whitwell, where a lifeless lump lay on the grass verge. The lump groaned and muttered oaths. Not quite what one envisages for this small, rural, consrvative corner of the island. Another long weekend casualty we guessed.

Blackgang was a joy. Year old tarmac now bedded in; the yellow tinged, near full moon on our left, the hint of pink of the penumbra of dawn over the silhouetted hills to our right, skylarks finding their voices at the start of pre-dawn. Such pleasures make the effort to climb more rewarding. And the peace, save the birdsong, while we enjoyed our replenishment, taking in the view.

Along the Military Road in the distance is a vast tented area adorned with large bright lights, reminiscent of an outdoor concert but without a stage. Turns out to be the start/finish of a run/walk challenge. Not sure why they needed such huge lights lit up at dawn when the campers were still asleep. And another campsite a little further along full of bikers. Thought better than disturbing their slumber. With the Randonée also happening on the first May long weekend, the island must be heaving with tourists.

One of the joys of Friday Night Riding is seeing the local wildlife. Ahead I see Paul weaving all over the road and wonder what caused such skillful bike handling practice. Seconds later I see a badger scuttling off into the verge. Good to see one alive on a roadside.

Shortly after Compton Beach there is a good climb, followed by a lovely descent, around a sweeping right-hander with full visibility so no brakes required. Just before the bend, the lead rider puts up a large dark brown buzzard from its fence post perch. It soars with ease over my right shoulder and think I could do with wings to aid the immediate climb.

Around the cool and fresh pocket of Freshwater, bypass Totland and head east. The warming sun is now well up and the ride into Yarmouth is as good as I remember. Thru bright green new tree foliage along the back lanes is bliss, especially on fresh tarmac. Would love my county council to heed the albeit sporadic work achieved by Hampshire County Council. Proper resurfacing, not mere surface dressing.

Crossing the river Medina at Cowes on Farcy McBoatface. Only £1.50 return. Cash. That's right, no single tickets and no paying by card. Bargain - if one wishes to use the service a second time.

Ride into Ryde for brekky at 'spoons.

Thanks for the company @Low Gear Guy, @Bollo and @StuAff. (And missed company of @Eddie_C and @CharlieB).

It has been stated more than once and should be repeated - this is a great ride, so do it!

Footnote of vague interest probably only to my companion riders: the four fat females from ferry, dressed for a long time away on a cold climate expedition with matching luggage, bickered all the way to Chichester where they alighted. Apparently they had been on the IoW for a week. They are well-known around this stretch of the line and for their selfishness. Having eventually hauled their luggage off the train, they stood around blocking the doorway and ramp to the carriage, totally oblivious the two young ladies in wheelchairs waiting to get on. Charming.

Top Bottom