England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around the Coast 2018 (May 4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You’re a prince amongst men Stu. The military road in a south westerly is cruel. At least it looks like we can avoid the Newport peripherique this time.

Did you manage to dodge the rain?
Between Sandown and Ventnor there were drips in the air but nothing like that downpour last year!

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’m surprised because it was honking down on and off all night here. The IoW was always a place apart.

Please not a repeat of last year. My bike will dissolve!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Stats from last year's recce: 64.97 miles, 5:40 moving time, 7:44 elapsed, 11.4 mph average, 4453ft of climbing.
Last night/this morning: 65.74 miles, 6:41 moving time, 8:45 elapsed, 9.8 mph average, 4848ft of climbing.
That was hard work (to put it mildly). The evening started off well enough. The new ferry terminal is in operation, though just to be confusing Wightlink have left the self-service ticket machine at the old terminal building in place (there isn't a machine in the new one, go figure), and the boarding arrangements for foot passengers and cyclists remain unchanged. Sailing left on time and arrived on time. Early on, I made pretty good time, and I'd have been quicker but for the newer Hope light deciding not to work (switched it on, feeble output & then it switched itself off). As a result, I was more cautious on the first stretch, there was a lot of standing water & of course plenty of potholes and grot to be avoided when possible. Got to Tesco (disappointing lack of strange caulkhead purchasing habits), bought the half-time sandwich and then had a look at the light. Took the batteries out, checked the polarities (don't think any were the wrong way round), popped them back in- light restored to full working order & stayed that way until the morning. Pass.

Speed remained OK through Seaview, Bembridge and Sandown, though it was barely above freezing. I was also having a somewhat accident-prone night. Four low-speed tumbles (!) in all, when making u-turns or coming to a halt, caught out by road camber or lost my balance, and of course each one made me more nervous for the next time. Aforementioned rain drops while on the Sunshine Trail, which was unsurprisingly the Sodden Trail, more care than usual needed. Managed to take a wrong turn at Wroxhall (very careful indeed U-turn) before going down to Ventnor. Then Undercliff Drive. The good news: it's very nice. Good job (eventually) Island Roads. The bad news: to get down there, St Lawrence Shute. 17 percent. Hairpins. I was on the brakes pretty much the entire time. For a group ride, that would be Very Bad Indeed. And then, at the other end, you have an equally brutal climb (Barrack Shute) to get back up to Niton. We'll pass on Undercliff for the ride, I think there's enough climbing as it is!! Back on the usual route, the usual steady grind up Blackgang, and got up there about 4.30 or so. Early pace had ebbed away- tumbles, nav fails, and the cold all playing a part.

And then the Military Road. In the right conditions, this is one of my favourite bits of road anywhere. These were most emphatically the wrong ones. Exposed and a stiff headwind. Windchill was nasty. Time for the 7.2 mile Strava segment was 39:14, second worst result on there for me (next worst time, 34:08, best time 23:46!). Just before the first of the two nasty ramps on the approach to Freshwater Bay, I took the last of my tumbles- the worst, right hip was a little bruised but luckily nothing more. Rather than trying to kick off again, given the aches and the headwind, I opted to walk it, and the second, longer, one as well. Really hurt the speed, but I wasn't in the mood to risk yet another fall and I doubt I'd have been that much quicker in the conditions. Turning north towards Yarmouth, speed picked up a little, but the damage had been done in multiple senses, average speed never got back into double figures. Hopes of getting through Cowes early doors had been done for, got to the ferry about 7.25. I've been at Wetherspoons by then…!! Yet more up-and-down grinding on the home stretch, but the roads were quiet. The Newport-Ryde 'motorway' wasn't! Back to Ryde at about 8.25, and the usual large breakfast, which I think I'd earned!

Fingers crossed it's a bit warmer and rather less blowy on May 4/5......

Last edited:
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Excellent, chapeau that man.

Given the circumstances, nowt to be ashamed of, quite the opposite in fact.

Good news; is it working well? Chances of being operational 5 may a.m.?
It seems to be working well. If it isn't working, or we absolutely fly round and get there before seven (unlikely, I know!) the passenger launch should we in place, that starts at five.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've just dared to look at the weather. Beeb says dry for a couple of days either side, so fingers crossed.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

I've just dared to look at the weather. Beeb says dry for a couple of days either side, so fingers crossed.
…and weather forecasts are still looking good. Dry and not too windy, say Beeb, Met Office and Norwegians alike.
Route GPX from the ferry to Tesco here.
And route GPX from Tesco back round to Ryde here.

Any last minute takers?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

A reminder, for anyone who's not joined me before:
It's the car ferry terminal, which is on Gunwharf Road. From Portsmouth Harbour station (do yourself a favour and not leave the train at Fratton or Portsmouth & Southsea), right on The Hard, under the railway bridge, right at the next turn (there are signs for the terminal) and you'll need to be there at 11.44 at the absolute latest. Ticket machine on the outside of the old terminal building, counter (but no machine) inside the new terminal. I should be down there by about 11.30 or so.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'll be there. :smile:

Depending on how the lights fall and Fratton's late-night street-fighting entertainment, I'm aiming for 11:15ish.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Four horsemen await breakfast in Ryde. One puncture (for me). Bit later than expected, but not exactly a problem.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
On the train home because I’m too overdressed and over knackered for the ride back from Portsmouth, so here are a few pictures of the ferry ride back to be going on with.

Thanks Stuart!

AE3DA3B7-9C57-49AD-9D9B-10D391899156.jpeg
08C8BB38-3B45-409B-9619-C8208F488E82.jpeg

Attachments

• C966A58F-9E57-4A6E-BC71-F0354F913E7A.jpeg
    C966A58F-9E57-4A6E-BC71-F0354F913E7A.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom