England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around The Coast 2020 (NEW PROVISIONAL DATE SEPTEMBER 4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These last few weeks have flown by. My minor injuries seem to be almost fully healed and have since attempted to put in the requisite mileage. Hills have been more of a challenge. Which is how I regard this ride - a challenge, just like the first time a few years ago. Looking forward to it. So, yes, am in. And still have another week to do some Bury Hill reps. I think not.
One caveat. I intend to be a total wimp and if there is the slightest chance of precipitation, I would like to pass my place to a reserve. Obvs will give much more than last minute notice.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@lazybloke That reserve spot is an actual one if you want it…

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Five awaiting a ferry at Fishbourne to be followed by breakfast in Old Portsmouth. Delightfully uneventful (in the best way). More to follow later.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Well,
That was, compared to last year, rather straightforward. Though that wouldn't be difficult…Straightforward, yes. Dull? Never. Total absence of mechanicals- @lazybloke was concerned about a flint in his front tyre, but it held up. Not one mechanical of any kind. Nor any Island weirdness. One slight navigational glitch was about it…Which just left a very scenic, rather challenging ride on (mostly) extremely quiet roads in almost perfect weather (bit of light rain at the start, otherwise dry, light westerly wind). Rather excellent, and definitely not dull…

As I had this week off, I'd picked last night for this ride to make things as simple for myself as possible. Unfortunately, this meant a clash with the latest official FNRttC, which @AKA Bob led into the Chilterns. Ho hum, there will be another time for that one…Anyway, lack of an inconvenience called work meant a nice easy prep (well, even easier than previous editions of this ride). Everything ready to go in plenty of time, and a short ride to the ferry where three of my four cohorts (@lazybloke @Low Gear Guy and Patrick, NOTP but has done a few FNRs before) for the evening were already waiting, and the fourth (@Shadow) soon joined us. Ferry, unsurprisingly, quieter than usual due to the circumstances, but certainly busier than the Saturday night boat for the recce.

As usual, I waited until the fellow passengers were out of the terminal before doing the safety talk and we got on our way, into so far empty roads. Unlike on the recce, I remembered that despite the speedy descent, the sharp turn and sharp kick onto Firestone Copse Road needed the small ring (and I'd warned the others). Only the second climb of the night (yes, the road out of the terminal is pretty steep too). But the second of many, many. After a few miles of up, down, and up again in the first stretch of country roads, to the crossroads on the outskirts of Ryde where, in previous years, we've gone straight on to Tesco for supplies. That wasn't an option this time, natch, so just a turn left to continue to Seaview. At this point, there were a couple of obnoxious motons- a Transit with horn Tourette's who seemed to object to cyclists being on his private road, and a boy racer numbskull. Fortunately, those were the last of that kind of behaviour, the vast majority of the few other vehicles we saw overnight were much more considerate.

After the titular Solent vista, on to the longest flat road stretch of the entire ride, Bembridge Harbour. Obviously, then followed by a climb into Bembridge itself. What goes down on the Island always goes up again…after some further climbing, including the grindy corkscrew up to Yaverland, the drop into Sandown where we had a breather, onto Shanklin, and then the Sunshine Trail. Wildlife presence this night a solitary bunny, who acted as a pacemaker before dashing off into the undergrowth. Back on the road east of Ventnor, after a short steep grindy climb on a terrible surface, back onto smooth surfaces for the approach to the literal high point of the ride. Given the conditions, the steady grind up to Blackgang was pretty straightforward, and as I could actually see the car park at the summit, I didn't miss it this time…

Fed and watered, then the usual bombing down the Military Road and the usual ride leader trailing the pack. Always good fun though. Regroup at Compton Bay (a great viewpoint) before the steep and grindy and twisty climb towards Freshwater. Followed by the rather faster drop into Freshwater Bay, which is much easier when you don't have to contend with strong crosswinds, putting it mildly. From there, there was a route variation. With the chain ferry being out for the forseeable future (passenger launch would have been an option, but still £1.50 each, and awkward…) there was no point going that way north. Last year, we used the official round-island route, the off-road path between Freshwater and Yarmouth, but on the recce its condition was a bit ropey, and in the dark progress was rather slow and awkward (unlike the Sunshine Trail). So, even given the lighter conditions, I'd switched to a road alternative, dished out a GPX with that amendment. Unfortunately, I still managed to leave the original route on my Garmin. Dan's Garmin indicated a turn, mine didn't- and a look at forthcoming turns showed the problem. Hence, a quick check with Osmand on the phone, and north via the intended route on Wilmingham Lane. Which, despite my research of it consisting of a look on StreetView, proved an excellent choice- nice smooth tarmac, rolling terrain, certainly quicker than the path would have been. An east turn towards Wellow, and as last year, progress was easy in sheltered conditions on good roads. Newport was extremely quiet, the road towards Ryde also, and after the last grinds up Lushington Hill and Kite Hill, back to Fishbourne just after seven. Absolutely no-one had fancied taking on the delights of Quarr Hill to get to Ryde and the Wetherspoons breakfast (or less contentious breakfast options in the town), and any time savings made by the catamaran sailing would be wiped out by the time and effort to get there.

So, eight o'clock boat it was- another quiet sailing, and then a mile round to my chosen breakfast venue, the Spinnaker Cafe on Broad Street. I'd been there two or three times before and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and their standards haven't slipped. Quality nosh, efficient friendly service, everyone happy. Job done. Fuelled for the strains of the four-and-a-half mile ride home (:laugh:), back round with Peter to the Harbour station (the others already having made their ways round) and back just after ten. Thanks everyone. It shall return. Hoping for excellent weather and rider count, finally, in double figures!

Last edited:

lilolee

Veteran
Nice one. Doing it the day after (by coincidence) and we went anti-clockwise was tough and fun in equal measures. I'm sure doing this at night adds other challenges.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Nice one. Doing it the day after (by coincidence) and we went anti-clockwise was tough and fun in equal measures. I'm sure doing this at night adds other challenges.
I noticed ;) Did the official route anti on the Randonnee a couple of times- Freshwater's relatively easy that way round, Blackgang is a total…swings and roundabouts!

Avoid complacency. Respect your adversary. Lessons learned years ago. Having achieved a modicum of fitness and hill-climbing capability after minor injuries and having ridden most of the route in previous editions, the legs felt good. I was guilty of complacency on friday.

It was overcast at first with a vague promise to clear up later, the moon glowing through thin cloud cover. Up, down, up, down, up, down and along, for that is the nature of this ride.

A brief pit-stop at Sandown, a regular rhythmic sound of small waves lapping the shore, hotels looking more neglected and a couple appearing derelict since my last visit only 2 years ago. Looked in vain for for 'artisan rock shops' ™ (@Bollo) which he assured me would help rejuvenate the town.

Onto Blackgang, by now clouds had completely dissipated leaving a vast expanse of inky night sky visible. Grind on, change down, change down again and summit soon appeared, seemingly easier than usual. Maybe I'm just getting slower. Main pit-stop of the night for re-fuelling. Our up and coming astronomer, aka Dan, looked up, commented and wondered upon various constellations and planets. Suddenly he points, 'Shooting star'. I turn immediately and it's gone, alas. Like a struck match, or maybe 'artisan rock shops' too, they burn intensely brightly and quickly vanish.

Down the hill, around the roundabout, more down and I was cold. Very cold. Gripping the bars too tightly, shoulders hunched, neck aching, I was not relaxed. And no amount of giving myself a good talking to altered this. Fortunately, onto the Military Road, into the big ring, gently increase speed to warm up. Push on the pedals, push to the front, Patrick to my right and Peter in our slipstream. We sped along. Unexpectedly, a large greyish-white apparition took flight from the left, the bird no doubt more startled than us. We agreed it must have been a barn owl hiding with it's recently caught prey.

Another stop at Compton Bay - always a good viewing point westwards to Studland Bay on the mainland. Yet it looked different this year. Two or three clusters of twinkling lights visible. Wondered if they could be cruise ships pootling around Weymouth Bay. Too far distant, surely. What else, then? Yesterday, I discovered a dot-watching site for cruise ships and indeed, there are 3 Royal Caribbean boats and P&O's Aurora in the Bay right now!

Back onto the Military Road, swooping down, taking the shortest line through the curve and another long grind to the cliff top before Freshwater. Dismount for a breather. Dan climbs the six steps, hoping to find a bench, surprised to find just the sheer cliff. His silhouette, the reflected ripples of the lunar light on the water, the crepuscular sky, gave thought that this is how the ride would look if directed in a film by Ingmar Bergman.

Back together, knock off speed pronto, Peter's brakes squealing, sharp right, avoiding the centre of the village. Rapid route consultation and soon onto the Wilmingham Lane variant. An undulating country road. Eastern sky now brightening, birds starting to sing. A recommended, good alternate. Right onto Wellow Top Road, through Carisbrooke (castle not sighted) and we soon eased into and out of Newport.

Before long, early morning sun blazing brightly directly into our eyes, we are on the last stretch. No mechanicals, no visitations, arriving at the terminal around 07.10. The ferry captain with a scottish accent combined with a poor PA system did not help us decipher why he had to take the long way round across the Solent into harbour! A short schlep round to the Spinnaker Café where we all enjoyed a superb breakfast. Another excellent find, Stu.

Thanks to our leader Stu and the company of Dan, Patrick and Peter. It has been said plenty times , this is a night ride that should be undertaken at least once, if you enjoy night rides.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It was another great ride.
Five met at the Portsmouth Wightlink terminal and formed a queue for coffee from a machine that plays "ambient coffee shop noise" whilst it vends. Possibly the most advanced technology we'd see for the next few hours.

On the island the weather was dry although the roads were initially wet and greasy. The sonorous tones of Peter's brakes reminded us to take it easy on those twisting descents.

The ride quickly plunged into countryside on Firestone Copse Road. Cool air flows off the fields and out of woodland bringing earthy odours. Back into suburbia in Ryde (nothing to write home about), but then down into Seaview.

Doesn't matter that it's dark, Seaview is a wonderful sensory experience. There's the fresh sea breeze in your face, bringing that sharp "ozone" tang of seaweed, there are colourful lights out at sea and on the mainland, reflections dancing merily, and course the gentle washing of waves on the shore. Seaview is a feast for the senses, and not to be missed.

A snack stop at Sandown meant I could break the seal on a box of Co-op Flapjack Bites and pass them around. Patrick furtively ate something that had been hidden in his rucksack.

We stopped again at the end of the Sunshine trail. More flapjack passed around. Patrick furtively eating again. A banana?
The climb from Niton to the Blackgang halfway point seemed easier in the dark ,and whilst darkeness robbed us of the fantastic views towards Purbeck, there was generous compensation in the form of a crystal clear night sky. More flapjack passed around obviously. Patrick was now offering bananas around too. My God, how many bananas can a man carry on a bike? He sheepishly admitted to a 6-a-day habit.

Then the chilly bit along (the?) Military Road, the group breaking and reforming periodically. First hints of dawn were apparent by the Freshwater Bay area, and quickly the light grew until it suffused the entire sky with a golden glow, as if the air itself was afire.
(Had @hoopdriver been with us, I would have expected a photographic addition to the excellent thread "Bicycle Rides - Aboard the bike".)

The beautiful light stayed with us through Thorley and Wellow, and the sun peeked above the horizon as we descended to Carisbrook before taking a sunny but quiet A3054 towards Fishbourne and the ferry terminal, where well-earned hot beverages awaited the happy group of 5. Then a fab cafe breakfast in Portsmouth before getting some much-needed kip on the trains home, punctuated with dreams of Seaview, and everlasting flapjack & bananas.

It's an awesome experience ; why the hell isn't this ride more popular?

Thanks again to @StuAff for organising, route-planning, recceing and shepherding.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
A fine ride around the island. Thanks to Stuart for organising it. Highlights included the views of the sea at Seaview and Ventnor as well as the long straight ride along Military Road. The alternative
route from Freshwater to Newport was a great improvement on the Yarmouth Road.

I can confirm that my brake adjustment earlier in the week resulted in an improved performance at the cost of an unwanted audio effect. More work needed I think.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Went to IoW for the very first time last week (we were on hols at Bracklesham Bay). It looks like very nice cycling territory....lumpy but not really hilly and quiet roads, at least they were in mid September. I'd fancy a ride there in the future

Top Bottom