Night Ride Carlisle - Newcastle 19-Sep-2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DefBref

Über Member
[QUOTE 3288393, member: 10119"]I have electrons, and a number to get orange cardboard at the station. And CAIK.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what any of that means! :smile:

puffinbilly

Veteran
Bugger it - only seen this now at 22.48 and in Newcastle and have free time this weekend - would have loved to do this. I am probably out early doors tomorrow cycling around Corbridge area but probably too late to see you guys. Hope you have a grest time - really envious.

DefBref

Über Member
Back now, really enjoyed my first experience of the Night Ride, If your hesitant I can highly recommend you try it.

Thanks to @mcshroom for organising and the lift thru and thanks to @MikeW-71 for sorting cheap train tickets for the way back.

EDIT: Oh and thanks @User10119 for the cake. Sorry didn't know your forum name until Mike mentioned it in the post below.

Last edited:

MikeW-71

Veteran
After spending the last few hours in a bit of a haze/doze, I am still functioning. Shattered and wanting to sleep, but functioning :biggrin:

That was a great experience, though it wasn't helped at the start by the accident on the M6 that had the Police diverting traffic through Carlisle and around via Brampton :ohmy:. This meant that instead of the quiet A69 we had expected, every HGV from the motorway was going our way :surrender:

Once at Brampton, it all changed and we barely saw any more traffic until we got to Hexham. The two big climbs I was worried about went OK, up to Banks Turret was a bit of a slog after the steepest bit at the start, but the Greenhead climb was something else again... aargh, that was hard :heat:.

Once over the climb we stopped at @mcshroom and @User10119 's mobile cake stop for coffee and coffee cake at about 2am :biggrin: :hungry: delicious!

We made such good time that we were over an hour ahead of schedule, so an extended stop at Tesco in Hexham was nice as it let us dry out after the light drizzle that had appeared, and chat/fall asleep as we wanted.

Once on the cycleway into Newcastle (this is great, It seems a right pain getting into Newcastle by road on a bike), though manoevering a road bike at walking pace and over kerbs when you've been up all night soon shows up how tired you actually are, and I ended up with a clipless fall within 2 miles of the finish :B). No damage done, except to pride. I just used the flat sides of the pedals after that (like I should have done in the first place).

We were still early, and had to wait a good 20 mins for the Quayside to open, whereupon we demolished a hearty breakfast before getting the train back.

I'll be doing that again :thumbsup: It was great to ride with all of you, many new faces for me, hope to see you again soon :smile:

15111313127_82e973c1db_c.jpg

Waiting for m'train home from Darlo after a splendid night and day of forumites and caik and touring the 24-hour-open establishments of the north. Quite tired now. Thanks all!

Oh... and excellent bridgery there, Mike.

*must not fall asleep on the delayed 19.33 EC service and wake up in That London*

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
The Bridge On The River Crinkly
2014-09-20 06.32.48.jpg

Cor blimey, guv'nor, that's a big'un! ;)

(Now home, having narrowly avoided deaf-by-singing by the rowdy drunks in Darlo station, managed to not sleep through my station by virtue of not getting a seat, successfully navigated through the drunkards and heavy police presence in York, just missed a bus and decided to be extravagant and negotiated the taxi queue.

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz........

Last edited:
Top Bottom