Night Ride Carlisle - Newcastle 19-Sep-2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi. Sorry this is late I kinda got hung up with injuring myself and never got round to posting this. :blush:

Following on from last year's ride, would anyone fancy a trip over the Pennines overnight :smile:

Here's the plan. Meet up at Carlisle Station at 11pm, then ride to Brampton and sort of follow the Hadrians Cycle Way (I've avoided dropping into Haltwhistle and climbing the really steep bits round Vindolanda by using the Military road in the attached route). The ride finishes using the Tyne riverside path which ends up on the North bank of the river riding under many the bridges in Newcastle before arriving for breakfast on the Quayside. [Route]

The ride is 102km with 1050m climbing. Most of the climbing in the first part of the ride, and the end of the ride follows the river so is pretty much flat/downhill.

There isn't much that will be open going over the Pennines, but we will stop at a 24hr Tesco on the way out of Carlisle (about 3km), then there is a 24hr Tesco in Hexham (75km) where we can call in on the way. After that we head for (The Quayside) on the river front in Newcastle to get breakfast. It opens at 8am and is not far from Newcastle Station.

Carlisle is on the West Coast Main LIne, and Newcastle on the East Coast Main Line, with a railway line following the same valley as we'd be riding between the two so getting there/back should be possible from most places :smile:

It's looking less and less like I'll be able to lead the ride on the road, so I'm looking at supporting the ride in a sag astra waggon.

I've had a few offers from others to lead the ride though, so it will be happening :smile:

Riding :biggrin:
Dale
phantasmagoriana
yoav
Joe.B
Flatbar Steve - joining along route
DefBref
tiermat
Dave
Edwardoka
Fnarr
MikeW-71

Maybe :unsure:
Malrees
Kim
Andrew Br
'Slow'coach
AndyRM
Di Di

Not riding :sad:
mcshroom
alans :cry:
Andrij
Telemark
theloafer
RythMick
GmanUK65
Scoosh
Ruthie
Mice
CharlieB

9999639686_f69c8dfb89.jpg

8043426308_e285b6b5b9_z.jpg

There's also a thread for this ride over on YACF - link :smile:

Last edited:

DefBref

Über Member
As per the discussion on the 2013 thread, I'm in (leave pending).

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
That's a shame T. :sad:
There is always next year :thumbsup:... I can't complain really, as I'll be on holiday :dance:, hopefully lots of cycling included :bicycle:.
We had our own night ride from Edinburgh in June, as part of the Edinburgh Festival of Cycling, didn't quite get the Milky Way, dawn colours & sunrise, but the middle-of-the-might food stop was top-notch :mrpig:.

Enjoy the sag wagon driving!

T

RhythMick

Über Member
Did my first overnighter recently (Exmouth Exodus) and would love to do this one - sadly the diary doesn't fit for me this year.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just seen the physio and she's saying no cycling until after my next x-ray/ortho appointment, which is not until the week after this ride, so definitely not riding :sad:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Yeah you'll have to use the pedestrian side of the bridge. There is a road route round if the bridge is completely closed, but that misses one of the best bridges along the way.

Top Bottom