Night Ride - Carlisle to Newcastle 27th September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Does anyone fancy a night ride over the pennines and arriving along the river Tyne for breakfast?

Here's the plan.

Meet up at Carlisle Station at 11pm, then ride to Brampton and sort of follow the Hadrians Cycle Way (I've avoided dropping into Haltwistle and climbing the really steep bits round Vindolanda by using the Military road in the attached route). The ride finishes using the Tyne riverside path whichdrops you on the north bank of the river riding under all the bridges in Newcastle. [Route]

The ride is about 102km with 1050m climbing. Most of the climbing in the first part of the ride, and the end of the ride follows the river so is pretty much flat/downhill.

There isn't much that will be open going over the Pennines, but we will stop at a 24hr Tesco on the way out of Carlisle (about 3km) for any final adjustments, then there is a 24hr Tesco in Hexham (75km) where we can call in on the way. After that we will probably stop at a small cafe in Newburn, and then and head for The Quayside on the river front in Newcastle to get breakfast. It opens at 8am and is not far from Newcastle Station.

Carlisle is on the WCML, and Newcastle on the ECML, with a railway line following the same valley as we'd be riding so getting there/back should be possible from most places :smile:

I ran this ride as a YACF night ride last year and that inaugural ride was great fun :smile: I hope we can book the same tail winds this time :smile:

If you're interested, there's a thread on last year's ride here

Great map, cannot join you because I am entered for the BHF Manchester to Blackpool ride that weekend but when I will certainly ride part of that route to give my night kit a try out. I will probably get the train to Haltwhistle and head up on to the military road but drop down to Vindolanda and follow through to Newcastle.

Misusawa

That looks like it might be good fun! I've done half that from haltwhistle to newcastle (following military road like your map does a few miles) and the BF said it might have been worth the effort to go all the way to carlisle.
I hope you enjoy it.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There is - which will be how I'm getting home :smile:

It's a two carriage diesel run by Northern (either sprinter or pacer) which follows a similar route to the bike ride, so you'd get to see what you had ridden in daylight. Costs about £15/16 walk up, although if you check on northernrail.org they sometimes have deals down to £4.

The train takes a while though. Depending on cost, you may want to think about getting a train down the East Coast Mainline from Newcastle to Kings Cross on the way back. If you are looking at splits, there is also a TPE train from Newcastle to Manchester which may offer some possibilities.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Just checked the last trains and realised that there's one arriving from Newcastle at 22:59. That would be fine for the start, I'm happy to wait a little while to make sure we have everyone :smile:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Beware drunks on that train. Carlisle yobs like to visit their big town brothers on a Saturday and the guard likes his cubby hole.
That is the train heading from Newcastle to Carlisle late on Friday night. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would choose to arrive in Carlisle at 11pm if they had the choice of drinking in Newcastle instead.

Actually you could probably stop that sentence after "11pm" :tongue:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If you ever do it as a day ride give me a shout. Night rides are out for now.

Out in the dark there's a big black dog.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Great map, cannot join you because I am entered for the BHF Manchester to Blackpool ride that weekend but when I will certainly ride part of that route to give my night kit a try out. I will probably get the train to Haltwhistle and head up on to the military road but drop down to Vindolanda and follow through to Newcastle.
There's a little devil whispering in my ear trying to convince me to catch the train down from Newcastle and do both. :wacko:

So far

Riding
mcshroom
phantasmagoriana
tiermat (yacf)

Maybe
CharlieB
Telemark
DaleFTW (yacf)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hello Mcshroom! :hello:
This looks very tempting :hyper:... we followed the NCN Hadrian's Wall route earlier this year over 2 days, stopping off at all the sights, very enjoyable it was, too. Have just checked train tickets from/to Edinburgh - and COULD do this for £17 :whistle:....
A couple of possible problems with the date at the moment, but I'll pencil it into my diary for the moment and see what happens :girl:
I'll mention this to the CC Ecosse lot as well, if we are allowed south of the border
:tongue:
T

Top Bottom