Night Ride - Carlisle to Newcastle 27th September 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
ermmm ... excitement got the better of me:hyper: ... I have now booked the trains :blush: ...
I'll have to catch the train north just before midday, so happy to go CycleChatting at the Cycle Hub or elsewhere until then (unless I fall asleep before then :surrender:.
The weather better be good (tail wind please!), I already know the company will be excellent :wahhey:.

T

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
ermmm ... excitement got the better of me:hyper: ... I have now booked the trains :blush: ...
I'll have to catch the train north just before midday, so happy to go CycleChatting at the Cycle Hub or elsewhere until then (unless I fall asleep before then :surrender:.
The weather better be good (tail wind please!), I already know the company will be excellent :wahhey:.

T
:wahhey:

It will be great to see you again :hyper:

Decided my ride for Saturday or almost. First or second train from Wetheral to Newcastle definite. Then either ride back to Haltwhistle (North side of the Tyne) or Newcastle to Tynemouth. Ferry to South Shields then in too foreign parts as far as Sunderland and train back to Wetheral or Carlisle. Might just look in at that nice looking bike shop and cafe on the Newcastle quay side, just to marvel at the fancy prices and maybe break the bank and get a cup of Java.

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Riding :wahhey:
mcshroom
tiermat
phantasmagoriana
yoav
Telemark
AndrewBr
DaleFTW
CharlieB
Razzle Dazzle
CathyG

Maybe :unsure:
DaveL
Deano
Martin Archer

Just a warning to everyone, it can get quite cold up on the tops overnight, so it would be worth bringing an extra layer for when we stop.

Also I and a few others planning to head for The Griffin pub (directly outside Carlisle station) before the start so if you are arriving early then that will probably be where we are :smile:

DefBref

Über Member
You may want to change your route slightly around Vindolanda.

After doing Whitehaven to Newcastle on Wednesday, a lot of the time on the roads you are using, we found the section around Vindolanda (mile 44 to 45 on your route) was closed. We ignored it anyway ^_^ and found the path extremely broken up, loose gravel and extremely steep, (both downhill and uphill), it was petty scary in the day, wouldn't want to try it at night!. I would suggest staying on the military road (B6318) for another three miles, instead of turning off at Once Brewed, then rejoin your route by taking the junction on the right back down to the Stanegate.

Good luck on your trip, I'm half considering joining you, but never done the night riding thing before. plus on backshift and not sure If body can handle a full shift working then 60 miles riding.

Oh and if anybodies interested, heres the route I took on wednesday:
http://app.strava.com/activities/76457463#

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Right thanks. I'm thinking about riding the route Monday so I'll have a look.

As for the back shift. You might be a bit tired. I'm on days so not a problem. :smile:

OP
OP
mcshroom

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Right back in the world of the living after my dash to Brighton and back on a proper computer.

Thanks for the warning about that bit of the route. I've cycled that bit on tour a couple years back and the bit around Vindolanda was awful even then. My reply on Friday was a bit flippant reading it back - sorry. If you would like to join the ride then you would be very welcome @DefBref. However if you are on back shift straight after then I'd recommend looking at the train timetables carefully as it can take quite a while to get back west. Also I find I'm a little wiped out after a full overnight ride. As I'm on days (I'm guessing the same employer) then I don't have to worry about working on the Saturday thankfully.

Riding at night is fine as long as your lights are decent. The roads are less busy so we can ride in a big group a bit more than during the daytime, and it feels a bit different riding into the dawn. The only thing to be careful about is making sure you don't go too quickly for your lights down hills as even with good lights it's not as easy to spot holes/gravel as it isin daylight.

RwGPS looks to have moved the line there when I edited something else. I've updated the route to along the Military Road to the next junction and then across as DefBref recommended (and as we went last year). Now I'm off to check what else the computer has decided to re-route for me.

Top Bottom