Night rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Even better when they see 50-60 cyclists pass by without murmur, just the sound of rubber on tarmac and a good few bright lights....

Or even when 60 cyclists turn a corner at silly o'clock in the morning to suddenly surround a car in a layby with a very amorous couple inside..
you'll get a reputation :smile:

anyway -how do you know it was an amorous couple? The windows tend to steam up.

Though I do remember way back in my youth walking past a car somewhere near Guildford and the car was jumping like a shoddy suspension unit on a BSO.

PS _ edited my post above it was meant to read s/he (and now does), not she

Sorry RR but I think it's reversed. The time in bike will make increased mileage as a by-product annndd as a beginner, it's a useful way of not getting hung up on x miles per ride.
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

GavinDavies7

Hi Gavin
If the route goes around Bristol, just be aware that Bristol is far from flat! But if you can cycle up some of the hills around your way by July you'll have no problems!
Good luck with it!
Hi thanks for the reply I live in the South Wales valleys so you can imagine every where I ride I hilly and not much flat roads so I think I should be ok with the hills

Jody

Stubborn git
Sorry RR but I think it's reversed. The time in bike will make increased mileage as a by-product annndd as a beginner, it's a useful way of not getting hung up on x miles per ride.

Definately don't get hung up on miles. For me its intensity x time. An afternoon in the peak district on my MTB is average of 5mph and 20-25 miles. Same intesntiy on say a TPT or local ride @ 13mph average on the MTB would see me do 45+ miles. Given a road bike and a trip to lincolnshire would probably see me do 70 odd miles.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or you could mix it up. Ride a few miles without caring how long it takes, then ride for half an hour without caring how far you go. ;)

The true master doesn't care how far or how long the ride is. The cake is the ride, and the ride is the cake, Grasshopper.

robjh

Legendary Member
Even better when they see 50-60 cyclists pass by without murmur, just the sound of rubber on tarmac and a good few bright lights....
unlike the poor buggers who are trying to sleep when 50-60 cyclists stop at the road junction below their bedroom window at 2am and chatter loudly until the tail end of their group turn up :laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
unlike the poor buggers who are trying to sleep when 50-60 cyclists stop at the road junction below their bedroom window at 2am and chatter loudly until the tail end of their group turn up :laugh:

One year, we had all gathered in Faversham by the church very early morning. Of course with the gathering you do get the chattering. Cue window opening and lady leaning out shouting 'will you all shut the f*** up!'

robjh

Legendary Member
One year, we had all gathered in Faversham by the church very early morning. Of course with the gathering you do get the chattering. Cue window opening and lady leaning out shouting 'will you all shut the f*** up!'
Yes Faversham does get the nutty shouters if I remember rightly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm a very infrequent night rider, but it seems to me the best part of the experience is in the small hours - 2am and onwards towards dawn.

With that in mind, I would advise the OP to try the longer 100km ride.

Starting at 10.30pm, the shorter 50km ride will be all but over before the real night riding fun starts.

Top Bottom