Night rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

hi everyone Although I am new to cycling I have been looking to enter a charity ride or something similar for June /July time which gives me a good few months of training I have been looking at the grand appeal night rider which is a a Bristol based ride that starts at 10:30 pm which is 50 or 100kmI as the children's hospital is close to my heart as my son had heart surgery there a few years ago am looking to do the 50km as there is no pressure on the rider as it purely a charity ride which will build my fitness and and stamina ready for next year when I try something bigger was just wondering what sort of weekly or monthly goal I should be setting in terms of km on the bike and if you could give any other tips thank you in advance

13 rider

Guru
Don't get bogged down with training targets . Just ride when you can and slowly extend the distance step by step . If you do a shorter ride just try a bit harder, longer ride nice and steady . You've six months of riding to get from 14 k. To 50 km seems a big step but it will be doable slow and steady and don't forget to keep enjoying the riding .
Ideally you will have riden over 40km preferably 50km before the event so you know it's within you to do it . Don't forget to drink and eat on longer rides
Good luck and keep us updated on your progress

Simontm

Veteran
Agree with the above, but I would add extend your time not mileage. Go out for 20mins? Make it 30 a week later and so on. the mileage will build up before you know it.

And as above, have fun and enjoy!

Agree with the above, but I would add extend your time not mileage. Go out for 20mins? Make it 30 a week later and so on. the mileage will build up before you know it.

And as above, have fun and enjoy!

If you base your training goals on time alone, it will be counter productive, if your new to cycling. You'll naturally find yourself extending the time, but not the effort expended, which will have the same effect as decreasing your mileage. Concentrate on increasing mileage gradually, the time increase will be a by product.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
As already said, just ride for now and enjoy it and build up gradually.

I don't know if you've done much night riding, but if not, it would be good idea to do some to practice. This will help assess if your lights are good enough? Do they last long enough on a charge? Have you repaired a puncture in the dark with cold fingers before?

All the critters come out after dark, that was a surprise to me how much wildlife you see in the dark. Say hello to all the foxes and badgers you see, but beware of creatures darting out from hedges across your path, or the drunk stumbling out into the road. You will also get used to how many clothes to wear, it can get proper brrr in the early hours. Having extra layers in always wise, as is having extra food on you. The thing about the middle of the night is there may not always be shops open.^_^ The organised charity ride probably has control stop with food and drinks so it does'nt sound like they're sending you out onto the moors or into the wilderness too much.

Sorry that is not meant to sound like a horror movie, just things to think about, if you got those covered it will be great fun. There is something magical about night riding you don't get from riding in the day, the nature, the quiet, the stars (if you're lucky) and breezing through sleepy towns and villages in the early hours with just the whir from the chain is brilliant, knowing I came and went while peeps were tucked up in bed and did'nt even know I was there, I love that.

Good luck, enjoy it and let us know how you get on.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Gavin
If the route goes around Bristol, just be aware that Bristol is far from flat! But if you can cycle up some of the hills around your way by July you'll have no problems!
Good luck with it!

As already said, just ride for now and enjoy it and build up gradually.

I don't know if you've done much night riding, but if not, it would be good idea to do some to practice. This will help assess if your lights are good enough? Do they last long enough on a charge? Have you repaired a puncture in the dark with cold fingers before?

All the critters come out after dark, that was a surprise to me how much wildlife you see in the dark. Say hello to all the foxes and badgers you see, but beware of creatures darting out from hedges across your path, or the drunk stumbling out into the road. You will also get used to how many clothes to wear, it can get proper brrr in the early hours. Having extra layers in always wise, as is having extra food on you. The thing about the middle of the night is there may not always be shops open.^_^ The organised charity ride probably has control stop with food and drinks so it does'nt sound like they're sending you out onto the moors or into the wilderness too much.

Sorry that is not meant to sound like a horror movie, just things to think about, if you got those covered it will be great fun. There is something magical about night riding you don't get from riding in the day, the nature, the quiet, the stars (if you're lucky) and breezing through sleepy towns and villages in the early hours with just the whir from the chain is brilliant, knowing I came and went while peeps were tucked up in bed and did'nt even know I was there, I love that.

Good luck, enjoy it and let us know how you get on.
wonderful post.
Recently rode to Cambridge in the dark from London.
Wonderful.
Second all your stuff about nightlife.
Though those badgers are damn elusive. Think I saw one but it was gone in no time.
Top tip for long night rides if you are a coffee head and don't mind the shame of panniers.
Take a compact stove and an espresso machine.
A nice bus shelter saved me pre dawn with a double shot brewed up.
And on the way back, as the sun set, another double shot round the back of a country church.
Churches, in this (thankfully) godless land are a gift to cyclists.

The other thing about night riding is - now and again you come across someone else out and about and find yourself thinking: "what the ** is s/he up to at this time of night - oh hang on ,...."

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Set your own goals. Try to do a little bit more (further/faster/hillier/whatever) than before.

Just have fun. Then have some more fun.
This^^^^
Right now 50km seems a long way, but it's really not for a moderately healthy person. Just get out when you can, warm-up slowly and pedal away. But as said above, just have fun, the miles will come.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
now and again you come across someone else out and about and find yourself thinking: "what the ** is she up to at this time of night
Even better when they see 50-60 cyclists pass by without murmur, just the sound of rubber on tarmac and a good few bright lights....

Or even when 60 cyclists turn a corner at silly o'clock in the morning to suddenly surround a car in a layby with a very amorous couple inside..

Simontm

Veteran
If you base your training goals on time alone, it will be counter productive, if your new to cycling. You'll naturally find yourself extending the time, but not the effort expended, which will have the same effect as decreasing your mileage. Concentrate on increasing mileage gradually, the time increase will be a by product.
Sorry RR but I think it's reversed. The time in bike will make increased mileage as a by-product annndd as a beginner, it's a useful way of not getting hung up on x miles per ride.

davidphilips

Veteran
just a thought but if new to cycling and starting building up millage etc just be sure to have bike correctly set up for yourself not only for comfort but for efficiency and to avoid stress injuries.
not a bad thing to cycle with a slow group in a local cycle group for a bit its a quick way to learn a lot in a short space of time.

Top Bottom