Night riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clf

Not commuting home in the dark night riding, but pleasure riding at night?
Went out last night around half 9 on my own for a ride, weather wasn't ideal when I left, but a the alternative was what seemed to be an endless karaoke session on the telly I thought sod it I'm going out.

Went through Sale, Hale,Ashley, Tatton Park, Bucklow Hill, over and under the closed m56 a couple of times (it being closed made the ride much more enjoyable), back through Dunham Massey, Partington and Carrington.

The trip to Tatton was a bit wet with a head wind, but as I turned back the rain stopped and the wind became a tail wind. Got home just after midnight after completing my first metric half century :biggrin:

Absolutely loved it, roads pretty much to myself, sounds of the nightime wildlife all around without the drone of the motorway, at parts some lovely views of the city lights in the distance. All in all I'd highly recommend a night ride for a different experience, I'll be out for a few more that's for sure. :okay:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Search on Informal rides for "FNRTTC". The maestro, @dellzeqq, is taking a sabbatical, but others are trying to fill his shoes.

huwsparky

Über Member
I love it too. Brings a totally different dimension to cycling. I really have no preference between night and day. In fact, most of my riding over the winter months has been in the dark.

Did my first 100k night ride last week as I'm trying to get in some kind of shape and not getting enough miles in!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I love cycling at night too!

I use my lights on the road without question, but off road on cyclepaths I know, I often 'go dark' and use my night vision instead. I see a LOT more than if I was relying on a beam of light, but I will always switch my lights back on when I see another cyclist or walker to denote my position to them (I can almost guarantee that I will have seen them LONG before they see me so I can judge the situation). I also like cycling using nothing but Moonlight.

I love it, cycling with my wits - It is great on paths I use regularly, so I have the suffient 'Route Knowlege', but I am not entirely sure I would do it so much on an unknown path unless the route ahead was fairly obviously clear (I did once and almost hit a piece of path 'furniture' at speed).

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are confident/daft too, but, it can make life rather fun as you see things you wouldn't normally, besides, you can always turn the light back on again if unsure or need to check/confirm something.

There is also the element of if there are people who are looking for trouble, etc, you are not always immediately obvious until you are right there and passing them.

Last edited:

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
I spend most of time cycling at night. Set off around 8pm.

Can be so nice but do sometimes have to be wary of idiots in the town centre who thinks its funny to shout things or even throw something. Bet they'd be none to happy if it was a relative of theirs mind.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I dunno, I'm quite reluctant. The reason is that around here it's hilly so there are lots of fast descents. Not a problem in itself but I would be very worried about hitting an unseen pothole at speed. During the daytime I can see them coming and steer around them. If I've got to go down the descents slowly to make sure I don't hit a pothole it would take the pleasure out of the ride.
Flattish roads in the countryside I can definitely see the appeal, pity there's none around here

huwsparky

Über Member
I dunno, I'm quite reluctant. The reason is that around here it's hilly so there are lots of fast descents. Not a problem in itself but I would be very worried about hitting an unseen pothole at speed. During the daytime I can see them coming and steer around them. If I've got to go down the descents slowly to make sure I don't hit a pothole it would take the pleasure out of the ride.
Flattish roads in the countryside I can definitely see the appeal, pity there's none around here
Anything over a 1000 lumen and you can descend as normal. Mine is 1500 and have set downhill KOM's at night! I can pick out pot holes from 50m+ so it really isn't an issue. For general riding on the flats though the 800 lumen setting is plenty and doesn't offend oncoming traffic.

BTW our terrain around here is 100 - 110ft per mile climbing so not exactly flat.

DRHysted

Guru
I haven't as yet done a specific night ride. However when I'm on Day Shifts I leave home at between 3:45 and 4 am. If it is 3:45 I'll go via Beaulieu in the New Forest, which at night chasing the beam of my (dyno-hub) light is quite different, and very pleasant, (I enjoy my commute to work).

Biscuitfrisky

did the St Crispins night ride last October and rode through the night from central London to Twyford, relatively flat and at one point I broke away from everyone and proceeded to gun it through country lanes with it dark all around.

Best part of a ride since I've started cycling.

Also my local club do a Thursday night ride which is great fun and better than doing the same roads in the daytime, I think the lack of vehicles make a difference to the enjoyment of a ride.

Top Bottom