Night riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
It's hard to equate lux with lumens because they're not really the same thing. The numbers you give when equating them do seem a bit off the mark - that would make a 120 lux dynamo light have a lumens value of over 6000 - about five times brighter than a car front light halogen bulb!

That's the thing. The light output of the bulb does not equate to the amount of light hitting the road over a pre defined area at a pre defined distance.

Lumens is simply the amount of light thrown out. The rechargeables I have, are sold as 3000 lumens and you cant look at them when they are on full blast. But when aimed at the road, each illuminates about 20% more than the 30 lux Nean light I also have.

Fact is, I wouldn't dare do the country lane part of my commute without the rechargeables just like most drivers wouldn't dare to drive them on low beam.

When we meet up, we dip our lights.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My 30 lumen Nean dynamo front light [...]
I hope you got the wrong measurement units there. ;)

It's worth remembering that people's eyesight varies and so does how dark it is. I'm fine with my 40 lux but it is pretty dark out here - I was mostly OK with my previous 30 lux but that did have a narrower beam not so great for cornering so I'm glad things have improved yet further. However, if I was riding city rail trails or towpaths and trying to see a dark route against a background of street light spill, I might prefer 60 lux.

And I wouldn't buy two lights the same. If one dies due to a design fault, you've then got a light you can't trust. My usual tactic is to carry small get-me-home "bobby-dodger" button-cell lights. I'm going to be pootling slowly and probably using my torch when no-one else is around to see better and/or diverting to maximise use of street-lit areas, but it'll get me home. It's also good when on a bike without dynamo lights and you stay out later than you thought... the sun still sets in summer but it doesn't get really really dark.

Lovacott

Über Member
I hope you got the wrong measurement units there. ;)
My bad. Lux.

It's the same as trying to equate the heat output of a radiator with how warm a room will end up.

It depends on how focussed the heat is, how well insulated the room is, what's in the room.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My bad. Lux.

It's the same as trying to equate the heat output of a radiator with how warm a room will end up.

It depends on how focussed the heat is, how well insulated the room is, what's in the room.
And just like that, I don't really care about the output as much as the effect. The UK lighting market is like a nation of people gushing over the heat output of radiators and ignoring that most are so badly designed that only the wall is getting very warm.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

One from tonight's ride from work.. I also have a back up front and rear light.
Not as good as the main ones, but enough to see and, more importantly, be seen.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Another useful piece of a kit is a head-torch, especially on twisty narrow roads as the light follows your head not the bike, furthermore a good one is OK for an emergency light to get you home. More usefully if you have a mechanical or a p*ncture it saves having to hold your front light in your teeth!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
which means it absolutely must not be used when any other road user is about because you will look at them and so dazzle them.
That is a consideration, yes. But there are lots of circumstances where they have value and most have different power settings, flash mode and pointy angle.

Cirrus

Veteran
Bit basic but always check your back light before you set off! Make sure there is no crud on it and if you have panniers/rack-bag etc make sure they aren't obscuring it.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Bit basic but always check your back light before you set off!
Better to check your back light when you arrive.

Not only does this give you time to do something about it without delaying your ride, you are checking the light when it's at its dimmest rather than when it's at its brightest. If the batteries are getting low there's a considerable difference between how bright a light is just after you've turned it on, and how bright it is a couple of miles down the road.

Lovacott

Über Member
Not only does this give you time to do something about it without delaying your ride, you are checking the light when it's at its dimmest rather than when it's at its brightest. If the batteries are getting low there's a considerable difference between how bright a light is just after you've turned it on, and how bright it is a couple of miles down the road.

Even better, have at least two back lights or as in my case, three.

Cirrus

Veteran

Then do both I suppose, I'd definitely check it before I set off to make sure that it's working, bright enough and isn't obscured (by luggage etc)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I had a back light jump off my bike during a winter morning commute years ago. I didn’t notice till I reached work. I left work a little earlier that day to get as far home as possible before sunset. Just as the light was fading in the evening I came across my light at the side of a ford. It was still flashing away. I put it back on and continued on my way.

Top Bottom